Send Topic Print
Question on Brake Pads (Read 11 times)
ND
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

areRe: Question on Brake Pads
Reply #15 - 06/06/07 at 10:15:34

You're right - it is strange. Obviously the pads are interchangable, but the EBC web site does state that pads with an X are somewhat different in that (if I remember correctly) they won't get as hot as fast and that they don't last quite as long. As I stated, Bike Bandit was able to send me the FA106 pads a couple of years ago, but this is the letter I got last time.
"Thank you for your business with BikeBandit.com.  Unfortunately, we will be unable to supply you with the correct brake pads as our suppliers stock has been completely depleted and do not have an expected availability date for the correct item.  I have entered a credit for the total amount of $25.00 for the cost of the brake pads.  This credit can take up to 7-10 business days to appear on your credit card statement.  I assure you that this is not normal course of business and we sincerely apologize on behalf of the supplier for the error we were unable to correct."

Anyway, ride safe.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Question on Brake Pads
Reply #16 - 06/06/07 at 11:23:40

Why does EBC make 2 different brake pads with the same part number?

As I remember, my pads came from a dealership.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #17 - 06/06/07 at 11:37:50

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Why does EBC make 2 different brake pads with the same part number?

Maybe different compositions?  Possibly one is sintered metal and the other ceramic  or one is organic and the other sintered metal?  I don't know... just guessin'.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #18 - 06/06/07 at 12:11:15

More out of curiosity than anything else, here is what I found:  Read and be as  ??? as I.

According to the .pdf from EBC, the FA stands for Street, and the X stands for Off Road.

FA106 - $19.95 - Kevlar Organic
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/mcstreetpads.html

FA106X - $20.95 - Carbon Graphite
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/mcoffroadpads.html

Prices from here:
http://www.mawonline.com/ebc.htm

And they have a slightly different take on what the useage is:

FA106:
EBC Standard Brake Pads
EBC Carbon Graphite Pads are blended with Kevlar fiber and Graphite particles impregnated with bronzed Graphite powder to enhance lifetime. The Carbon Graphite construction ensures a cool operation of the disc pad, reducing heat transfer to the brake caliper and system hydraulics. These pads have been the choice of World Champion Motorcross riders for many years. Excellent brakes for faster motorcross and enduro racing.

FA106X:
EBC Carbon "X" Brake Pads
Carbon graphite "X" pads for leisure/sport use. Lowest price point EBC pad. Lowest heat generation. Best for fast dry riding, not for mud, wet or sand.

More than too much info for me.  My bike stops nicely.  Tongue

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 06/06/07 at 12:49:32

Okay, so organic and sintered metal.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #20 - 06/06/07 at 13:38:51

Read all about it.. and draw your own confusions:
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Assets/2007usamc.pdf

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #21 - 06/06/07 at 20:50:54

I put the red EBCs on last year no problems and mine even had the grove in them. No problems stopping yet Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 06/12/07 at 15:29:14

Well, Crummm. I wasnt looking for anything to wonder about. Now, I have to wonder, if the X doesnt last as long, does it stop better? I guess I better go run a stoping test & see what it does before I swap.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #23 - 06/13/07 at 05:57:33

I've had DP sintered metal pads on mine for about 7500 miles and will install SBS ceramic pads when I replace them.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 14:46:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question on Brake Pads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.