Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help - Adjusting valves (Read 9 times)
Gnu
Ex Member

Help - Adjusting valves
06/01/07 at 08:24:56

Hiya, sorry for opening yet another topic on valve adjustment, but i've got my bike ripped apart this morning, and i'm having a really hard time getting those feeler gauges in where they're supposed to go.  Anybody who's done it recently have any tips on getting those feeler guagues in there?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Gnu
Ex Member

Re: Help - Adjusting valves
Reply #1 - 06/01/07 at 08:29:06

Err, just wanted to mention, i've verified and re-verified that its at TDC on the compression stroke.. Smiley

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 06/01/07 at 08:32:47

from the tech sect:

" As for actaully getting the gauges between the ajustment screw and the valve stem, it can be tricky.  What I recomend:  1st, make sure there is plenty of light.  If you are on the left side of the bike, measure the clearance on the right side while holding the rocker arm up with your other hand (remember there should be little play).  Even if the gauge will fit, it may be tricky to get it in there.  Practice sliding it in and out until you are sure you are measuring the right thing!  I had the most success pushing the gauge straight in, but you can get them in from the side. "

you coauld also opne the screw way up (as if you wanted a large clearance)

IP Logged
Gnu
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/01/07 at 08:36:32

Ahh, I missed the "holding the rocker arm up" when I was reading through the instructions, i'll give that a try.  I read through them several times, but its amazing how stuff can hide in plain view.. Smiley

Thanks again

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/01/07 at 08:46:12

I remove the blade from the feeler gauge. With a 90 degree bend a bit more than an inch from the end & a little "Ski Tip" bend rolled into the tip I find it pretty easy to get them in. As stated earlier, backing the adjustment out & opening it wide makes it easy to get in.
An offset screwdriver to hold the adjuster while the 10 mm nut gets tightened is really handy. The first 3 times I did it I didnt have one, Lots more trouble.

IP Logged
Gnu
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/01/07 at 10:21:47

Unfortunately, I didn't have the 10mm offset wrech or offset screwdriver (i'll get it for next time), but was still able to adjust the one valve that was out of spec without much trouble, though it seemed more out of luck that the screw didn't move when I tightened the the nut with the ratchet than anything.  Once I was finally able to get one of them in and figured out what i was trying to do, it went pretty smoothly.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:58:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help - Adjusting valves

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.