Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Newbie joins the family! (Read 8 times)
BornOnFire
Ex Member

Newbie joins the family!
05/30/07 at 20:49:55

I Made the jump. I bought my 05 Savage I was rambling about in another post. My first impression is split. I am not an expert mechanic but this poor thing sounds awfully starved of fuel. Not only does it make the entire population of my neighborhood mess their pants after shut down (funny- but embarassing!), but I can just hear the motor starving at high RPM. This bike needs help bad. I assume that I am going to have to tear into this carb. Other than that, it's got beautiful low end torque and rides smooth and steady. I'm pretty impressed. I have a feeling though that these bikes come from the dealer all choked up and not even close to their prime. Well, I'll just have to try and fix that...Mua ha ha ha ha... Wink
I also otta say thanks to this board for helping me make my decision on this purchase. I think I made a good choice  8)!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Newbie joins the family!
Reply #1 - 05/30/07 at 21:48:23

Congrats BOF   Grin

1st richen up the pilot screw to get rid of the shut down bark.  Next get a supertrapp.  Hard getting on, but oh so sweet!   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 05/30/07 at 21:56:43

May your teeth always be full of bugs,

Ride safe.

IP Logged
bholly12

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Starkville, MS
Reply #3 - 05/30/07 at 22:11:19

Hey way to go.  Once you get her tuned up a bit you will be more than satisfied with your work.

-Brad

2006 Euclase Silver Metallic S40, Dyna muffler, K&N drop-in, 1/2 spacer mod, 152.5 main.
WWW   IP Logged
BornOnFire
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/30/07 at 22:24:49

I'll try the pilot screw but I'm wonder if the 2400 ft elevation will be a factor. By the sound of the stock Pipe I'm running now, a new one is definitely coming first. Is there a general consensus on a certain brand? Supertrapp is reputable but I know there are many more. Slip-on I assume will work fine. What the hey, I may as well go to a K&N and rejet. But if I do that, then I'm going to have to get a "beefier" rear tire, right? LOL.... (My wife's gonna love this new project of mine.) Can't wait to get started..... I'd love to hear what most of you folks are running and how much performance has improved....Is it significant? or just psychological?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 05/31/07 at 07:14:32

Welcome!  Read the tuning related threads in the Tech Ref forum, especially anything mentioning carb, exhaust or white spacer.  Don't forget to replace the carb's screws with stainless allen screws when you get into it.  That'll save you hassles in the future.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 05/31/07 at 13:17:21

Unless you just like the jetting/tuning process, which some of us have been know to do for hours on end while changing muffler after muffler, you may want to get your muffler choice installed first so you only have to do the jet/tune one time.    

The supertrapps are good for sure,  I have a couple of them myself, but a lot of folks have sporty/dyna mufflers because the work good and are very cheap.  The Hard Krome cans are great too and can be found on ebay for very low prices per pair ... brand new... look in the dk-trader ebay store.   There were some there yesterday for just $24.99/pr + shp.  They are double wall and will not discolor and sound awesome.

IP Logged
BornOnFire
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/31/07 at 13:27:31

Thanks Lancer. When you refer to "Sporty" Muffler, I take it you are referring to the HD Sportster?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 05/31/07 at 13:55:37

BornOnFire wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Thanks Lancer. When you refer to "Sporty" Muffler, I take it you are referring to the HD Sportster?

Yes, he is.  Some folks have gotten them very cheaply from HD dealers because they are takeoffs.  Some have even found free ones in HD dealer dumpsters.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
BornOnFire
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/31/07 at 18:16:04

Took your advice Rob. Called my local HD dealer down here in my area and he said he has four or five of them sitting in the "Take-off bin"to choose from. I asked how much and he said "How about $20?"
I told him I'd see him tomorrow! Sweet.
I suppose I should buy a range of jets too while I'm out (for tuning sake). From the Dealer? or any MC shop?

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #10 - 06/01/07 at 01:56:09

Took your advice Rob. Called my local HD dealer down here in my area and he said he has four or five of them sitting in the "Take-off bin"to choose from. I asked how much and he said "How about $20?"
I told him I'd see him tomorrow! Sweet.
I suppose I should buy a range of jets too while I'm out (for tuning sake). From the Dealer? or any MC shop?

Try the HD dealer.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Don Steel
YaBB Newbies

East Yorkshire, Great Britain
Reply #11 - 06/01/07 at 04:52:07

I Can't believe how cheap you guys can get Harley Parts over there, compared to here in the UK!!

I have a Sportster whilst my Savage is being done up, and I got some Sportster Original Mufflers off ebay for £20, which will be about $10 or so. It has screamin Eagles on, but I got these as back up in case I got hassle from the law! Bargain!!
Normally Harley stuff here goes for massive amounts of cash!  Sad

Keep up the good work with the site!

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #12 - 06/01/07 at 07:09:04

Don Steel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I Can't believe how cheap you guys can get Harley Parts over there, compared to here in the UK!!

Normally Harley stuff here goes for massive amounts of cash!  Sad

And that's why I have Harley-Davidson in the very best possible place for it -- my stock portfolio!

Gotta love a company that sells all they can make, licenses it's name so they make money on crap they don't make and has legendary customer loyalty!  I think the only thing Harley doesn't collect royalties on are the tattoos!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 06/01/07 at 09:22:37

Kropatchek is right.  Some HDs also use Mikuni carbs and you can usually get what you need from them for less than $5 each.  I'd suggest getting a 150, 152.5 and a 155 (large round main jets).  You probably won't need to change the pilot jet.

BornOnFire
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/01/07 at 11:53:50

Awesome advice. Thanks Savage_Rob. I hope I won't have to do any Spacer Shaving this weekend.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:23:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie joins the family!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.