LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
What do you think?
05/16/07 at 18:11:10

Do you think think this will work?  The general lines and all?

Foam tank

exhaust ports ... lots of time spent here

IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
Re: What do you think?
Reply #1 - 05/16/07 at 19:08:45

Is that all you have?  looks like it will cost some $ to get all the parts together.  Good luck...

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 05/16/07 at 19:14:49

Parts?  I've got parts.  I am about ready to begin the assembly process.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 05/16/07 at 21:01:16

What's going on?  Looks like you got a green seat, purple fender, and a concrete gas tank.  Things okay over there on the east coast?

As for the head...you sure it can still be torqued when you put it back together?  It won't break will it?  I guess that you just had to grind out more than I did after all (fun isn't it) Tongue

Is that a special blue coating in the exhaust port?

By the way...what is your goal?

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #4 - 05/16/07 at 21:55:50

Better smooth that frame out nice and slick with some Bondo.  Otherwise looks like a great replica of an old 500cc Velocette.  Going to go with some of those crazy looking shocks, too?

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #5 - 05/17/07 at 01:50:02

Howzit Lancer
I like the general lines of your Savage, needs something between the back of tank and front of seat imho.
That ExPo looks good, you must have put some time into it.
Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Crusher0964
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/17/07 at 04:29:35

I like it lancer, the seat pan really flows with it. 8)

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #7 - 05/17/07 at 04:32:39

do you have a tank or are you in need of one?  That shape seems very similar to the Wards Riverside (Benelli) 250 or 350s of the mid 60's.  There are a bunch floating around or possibly new from Cosmo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280113874232

Now I am getting jealous.  I have to get mine going soon.  My box of parts over flowith but my time is not. Grin

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 05/17/07 at 06:00:53

Quote:
do you have a tank or are you in need of one?

I have the metal tank I ordered a couple of weeks ago, the one with the "out-dent" section on which I had planned to put the old WWII Army Air Corps star/bar.
The problem is which one to choose.  The metal tank will require a slight modification to the frame backbone ... yep, cut & weld.   The foam tank has been carved to fit the frame of course, but I will need to do fiberglass it, cut the holes for the cap and pet-thingy, dissolve the foam from inside, install the cap and pet-thingy and seal the tank.   At this point it seems that the cut/weld for the metal tank would be less work.

If I go with the metal tank then the bike will be a bobber style, whereas if I go with the fiberglass tank then it will be more of a flat tracker/cafe racer style.

Also, since the metal tank was damaged when I received it, I will have to wait for a replacement.  There is plenty of work to be done and keep me busy though.

The exhaust port, on the outside where the header bolts up, is 36x38mm.   I removed some material from the wall just inside the port and rounded/smoothed the top of it.  Some material was also remove from each of the two valve  passages just before they merge into the port.  From the valve seat, the near side radius is carefully rounded/smoothed and polished a little.  I spent some time with some machine shop guys discussing the theory's of porting.  I picked up a few ideas that make the job a bit easier to do well.
I had wanted to go larger on the valve size but decided it was not necessary for a street bike.  The exhaust valve passageways are the bottleneck in this head so I focused on them instead.

There is no blue coating inside the port, that is just reflection from a blue colored mat.  
And yes, once you get to grinding on the metal it is fun and hard to stop.  There is always one more spot ...

The foam tank is supposed to be patterned after a BSA Goldstar racing tank.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 05/17/07 at 06:09:14

tuxedo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Better smooth that frame out nice and slick with some Bondo.  Otherwise looks like a great replica of an old 500cc Velocette.  Going to go with some of those crazy looking shocks, too?

I am grinding on the frame now and have removed most of what I do not want or need on it.  I think I will be going with the metal tank so will need to cut/weld the frame backbone a little.  I don't much care for the bondo experience and I am no slave to absolute perfection in the LOOK of the frame, so I will just clean it up and spray the thing.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 05/17/07 at 06:12:22

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Howzit Lancer
I like the general lines of your Savage, needs something between the back of tank and front of seat imho.
That ExPo looks good, you must have put some time into it.
Clive W  Cheesy

If I use this seat then the front of the seat pan can be flattened down some and that, along with the padding/cover, will tank up the space.  If I use a simple single seat then the frame will be showing.

IP Logged
bduff
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - 05/17/07 at 12:59:19

1987 Savage 100% stock and happy with that, owned it since it was BRAND NEW!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 05/17/07 at 16:18:03

bduff wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:

Very nice ... I like the shiney tanks

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #13 - 05/18/07 at 13:43:34

First let me say that I like it, and think you've done a great job with what you have so far.

I would like it better if the tank either extended back (maybe far enough to reach the seat, or the knee cutouts went further forward. Also maybe flare the front half of the tank out. Also maybe the tank could mount a smidge higher (less than an inch).

I'm having trouble with how deep the seat drops, and it looks like it would be uncomfortably tipped forward.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 05/18/07 at 23:43:39

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
First let me say that I like it, and think you've done a great job with what you have so far.

I would like it better if the tank either extended back (maybe far enough to reach the seat, or the knee cutouts went further forward. Also maybe flare the front half of the tank out. Also maybe the tank could mount a smidge higher (less than an inch).

I'm having trouble with how deep the seat drops, and it looks like it would be uncomfortably tipped forward.

The seat space can be made up easily with the seat shape/position, and with this seat/tank combo it does need to be together.

I was considering deeper/longer knee cutouts and think that needs to be done after seeing this sitting there like this.  I also like the idea of raising the front of the tank a little but will have to play with that to see how much looks best.   I don't want to have any more flare on the tank though.  The BSA tank I am using as a pattern is pretty much this shape and I want to stay with that.  The extra cutout should be enough alteration.
Thanks for the input.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:31:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What do you think?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.