Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gas in Crankcase? (Read 16 times)
grim

San Jose,CA
Gas in Crankcase?
05/15/07 at 10:45:40

How do you know if gas has leaked into crankcase?

Besides running out of fuel too early....but by that time, it is too late

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Gas in Crankcase?
Reply #1 - 05/15/07 at 10:57:09

You'll see it in the sight glass and/or smell it if you open the oil filler cap.  If you miss those two, you'll notice a progressively rougher running bike...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 05/15/07 at 11:41:27

don't run it with gas in the case.

drain the oil change the fitler, add fresh oil.  fix the carb.  ride

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 05/15/07 at 13:11:48

May be the first symptom is that the bike doesn't want to idle, especially when hot.
If you have a doubt about gas in the oil, the easiest thing is to unscrew the oil filler cap and smell the fumes, or to pull the breather hose from the top of the air box when the bike is running and smell the fumes.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/15/07 at 15:40:14

if you have reason to think there is gas in crankcase I'd advise stop running engine immediately until fixed problem & change oil & filter & hope no damage has yet been caused.

I once bought a Triumph with a completely shot engine because of this (luckily I figured this out beofre cash changed hands & got a great deal.) had $ left to completely rebuild engine & ran great afterwards.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 05/17/07 at 08:08:49

grim wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
How do you know if gas has leaked into crankcase?

Besides running out of fuel too early....but by that time, it is too late

Why do you think that gas has leaked into your crankcase?

IP Logged
courtem
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Toney, Alabama
Reply #6 - 05/18/07 at 06:42:03

I had a bike with this problem.  You should suspect that the fuel shut off is not shutting down when vacuum is no longer present to keep it open.  Gravity feed from the tank forces past the needle valve in the float bowl and ends up on top of the piston.  When you crank the engine the fuel blows by the rings (liquid is non-compressable) and drains into the crankcase.  The fix is to ensure fuel shut off functions properly at the tank petcock and that the needle valve in the float bowl is not damaged, or perhaps a small piece of debris is keeping the needle from properly seating when the bowl is full.  Drain the oil if you detect gas, change the filter and refill.

court
  IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
Reply #7 - 05/18/07 at 16:29:19

I don't suspect gas is in my case.  I just wanted to know since there are people that are complaining about this problem.  Was trying to avoid it by learning from others

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 05/18/07 at 21:51:27

courtem wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I had a bike with this problem.  You should suspect that the fuel shut off is not shutting down when vacuum is no longer present to keep it open.  Gravity feed from the tank forces past the needle valve in the float bowl and ends up on top of the piston.  When you crank the engine the fuel blows by the rings (liquid is non-compressable) and drains into the crankcase.  The fix is to ensure fuel shut off functions properly at the tank petcock and that the needle valve in the float bowl is not damaged, or perhaps a small piece of debris is keeping the needle from properly seating when the bowl is full.  Drain the oil if you detect gas, change the filter and refill.

Geez Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 05/18/07 at 21:54:54

grim wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I don't suspect gas is in my case.  I just wanted to know since there are people that are complaining about this problem.  Was trying to avoid it by learning from others

So that makes this another one of those informative topics where we all speculate about what we might do if something unexpected happened when we least expected it.

Now, I got it.  At least I asked the right question.

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 05/18/07 at 22:31:50

I have had gas in my crankcase.  You can smell it as soon as you put your nose near the filler hole.  DO NOT START THE ENGINE IF YOU SMELL GAS IN THE OIL!  Problems will happen.  My 82 Suzi had a petthingy problem.  Fortunately, it was not run enough with gas in the oil to cause any problems (I currently have the whole top end off of the engine so I was able to verify this).  

Should you find that you have gas in your oil, I would recommend replacing the petthingy.  On the '82 GS, I decided to go back with a stock unit and forget it for the next 25 years.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 05/19/07 at 04:51:53

steely wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Should you find that you have gas in your oil, I would recommend replacing the petthingy.  On the '82 GS, I decided to go back with a stock unit and forget it for the next 25 years.

I would recommend changing the oil too.

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 05/19/07 at 07:27:00

Yeah, I always forget to mention that!  Embarrassed

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:19:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas in Crankcase?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.