Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noobie Basic Maintenance (Read 13 times)
elb1179
Ex Member

Noobie Basic Maintenance
05/12/07 at 13:27:55

Ok, I picked up a '97 Savage and need to do some maintenance.  DISCLAIMER: I am ignorant of mechanics but I have a Suzuki's service manual for this model and am moderately willing to try things on my own.

First up, oil change.  Not too terribly concerned there.

Second: brakes.  Here I am at about my limit (yes, a relatively low limit, no need to rub it in)  Wink  Front brake doesn't seem to be too difficult but the rear brake looks a bit more intimidating.  

So advice wise, what are people's thoughts on the rear brake?  Not for someone as ignorant as me?  How much is involved?  How much time/money?  I noticed in the manual it says that the bearings should be replaced too.

Lastly: I have a busted rear right turn signal.  Local dealer is quoting me ~$60 after tax...is that too high or does the savage just have expensive turn signals?

Thanks in advance for any help.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Noobie Basic Maintenance
Reply #1 - 05/12/07 at 13:55:41

First off, welcome. 2nd there is a step by step for front brakes in the tech section. Rear brakes are usually checked when you change a tire or every couple years. How many miles. If the bike has teh original IRC tires they are 10 years old now and it is time for new ones regardless of the the tread depth. Spent some time learning how the forum works and how to use the search feature. again welcome, Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/12/07 at 17:34:00

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 14:49:37 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/12/07 at 18:22:10

welcome to site - rear brake is easier than front brake in my view (though as earlier post there is step by step on front brake in tech section).

must take rear wheel off (obviously) & remove belt guard though.

for this reason suggest getting owners manual - someone on this site said the most important tool in your tool kit. some on site recommend suzuki's official one - somewhere around $50-60, I think - others (me included) suggest the bit more easy to follow (in my view) Clymers one (what I used to change my front & rear brakes). Amazon sells it for a little over $25 - don't worry if it says a year model different to your bike - get most current one - savages have changed very little. if you get it from Amazon recall to stipulate free shipping option @ checkout - save $3.50 (hey, every bit helps!)

many on this site order ex Ron Ayers (google it) - I happened to use another online site beofre I heard of them but will in future - can save over buying from local Suzuki dealer (like buying handfull of oil filters (to spread out freight). I use eimco brand as same as oem & way cheaper.

I used EBC brakes front & rear - 'bout same price as oem ones & supposed to be better quality/give more stopping power.

as other entry said - I have an '97 & although rear tire had been replaced & looked in good shape the front (though still with OK tread) looked to be original & had rough - ie small cracks - sidewalls - replaced in a hurry.

don't use original brand tires - forget brand - ANYONE? - they wear very quickly & have poor grip - rear will be shot after less than 5000 but will slip & slide from day one, so I understand.

remember, you only have 2 tires under you, not 4 - not a time to think cheap or think you'll get by with old rubber.

like I said - welcome to site - I'm sure you'll get lots of help on it from a great bunch of people. suggest like me you just sit on comp for hours & go through every entry that looks to be relevant on it!

IP Logged
elb1179
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/12/07 at 20:10:29

Bike has just under 10k miles, 2k of which I have put on it (have had it 2-3 months).  

Thanks for the tip on the front brake walk-through.  I wasn't terribly concerned about the difficulty of them, but that will certainly help.

As for the rear brakes, the fact that they are changed generally when new tires are put on is good to know.  I just don't know how old the tires are.  The tires have a lot of tread left on them and generally look good except for some odd "wrinkling" on the rear tire tread (not the wall).  http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/895903/

The really confusing part is the indicator on the rear wheel.  It is outside the range indicator but to the right (center).  http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/895901/

The manual shows it as being outside of the range but to the outside of the wheel.  So are my pads dead or brand new?  Or did whoever put the brakes on last screw up the indicator?

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/12/07 at 21:29:43

I just checked my indicator & it is where yours is at rest (ie without a foot on the brake). however, though I only changed my shoes around 1500 miles ago or so so would indicate plenty of wear I don't think it is an accurate indication. I don't think those things count for much - though I might be wrong - as I recall the inidcator was pretty much like it before I put on the new shoes, replacing the old ones that - still - had plenty of wear (I changed them when got bike as I wanted EBC shoes on rear/pads up front as I wanted to improve braking - just turned out when I took wheel  off shoes still had wear in them)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/12/07 at 22:36:10

I'll be waiting to hear if anyone will say those are age cracks in your tire grooves.

IMHO, the back brakes are harder to do.  As you got to jack up the bike high enough to remove the wheel, remove covers and belt.  PITA.  Then line up the slot and pin on reassembly.  

good luck   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/13/07 at 13:12:27

maybe I think the rear brake is easier as had more experience working on shoes through years of doing it with older bikes without discs/pads.

will agree removing the items you listed are a pain, though, verslagen1.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/13/07 at 13:15:19

You will be in there when the tire is changed, so the hassle is the same as a tire change. I have a hard time accepting needing to replace the rear brakes at that mileage. I don't think they are that worn. The bearings? I am soon to install the bikes 3rd aftermarket rear tire, I will look at the bearings, but I don't expect to replace them, either.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 05/13/07 at 20:38:03

Welcome home.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/13/07 at 21:24:25

George,

I done both disks and drums on cars.  And on cars its the opposite, drums are easier.

But on bikes, the front disks can be done removing only 3 bolts, dam that's easy.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

yeah - maybe IRe: Noobie Basic Maintenance
Reply #11 - 05/13/07 at 22:22:44

yeah, maybe I was being stoopid - as I bled brakes & did steel line @ same time as pad replacement it seemed more complicated than it really was. duh!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:29:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Noobie Basic Maintenance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.