Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Should I get one?? (Read 6 times)
Folsomjack
Ex Member

Should I get one??
05/12/07 at 19:52:54

I had several singles years ago and loved them. Been reading up on the savage prior to  buying one and getting lots of negatives! Cam valve bearing failures, head leaks, poor quality of bolts and fittings belt misalignment.I am 6' tall with long legs also. I am cramped on my Sportster and also have a Vulcan 1600 which is huge for around town.  Are these things true? If they are or most of them it would explain the lack of resale value and the great prices available. All input from owners with time and milage on a Savage would be appreciated

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Should I get one??
Reply #1 - 05/12/07 at 20:26:16

05 S40, 15,000 miles. I have a slight leak at the clutch actuator rod/ thru right side case. I had the thing apart & could have tossed another Oring in it, but didn't. It's really that slight, I can see a film, no drip. Havent heard of any siezures/bearing failures recently. That may have been from someone using the wrong viscosity oil & starting so cold it didnt get it oiled up there before it was hurt. The head leak is a simple fix should it occur. It's not the head per se, but the plug on the end of the cam. Bolts are supposed to be crummy, but I have the stock bolts & have no problems. I suspect some folks get a bit rambunctious with a 10 mm end wrench.
If the bike was such a poor example of what motorcycles are supposed to be, Suzuki couldnt afford to continue building it for so many years. Motorcycle buyers are a savvy enough lot that a piece of crap will not have the sales necessary to justify its manufacture after a short time. I would suggest that the low resale price isn't so much a slap at the bike, but that  the bike is a popular "first" bike & people are hesitant to buy a used first bike, because they know they dont know hoot about a bike, Dont need any problems, need a warranty & they get one, outgrow it, or Think they do, & sell it & trade up, instead of modifying it to get the performance they want after they get comfortable with the 650 in stock configuration. Lots of folks on this forum have loads of experience with big, powerful bikes & have chosen this one for its nimble ways, ease of maintenance & dependability. The belt is an issue, till ya just say, who cares? It's not causing any problems, so what if its not perfect & silent? The rest of the bike more than makes up for this issue, in my opinion. It galled me for a while, because I wanted it to be quieter. I learned how toi adjust it, BIG improvement, & there are sprays that make it quiet. I may try on one day. For now, I am okay with it. The belt can be replaced with a chain. It's been done by 2 on this forum recently. Step by step, blow by blow, it's in the tech forum. Forward controls are fabbed up by a couple of the guys here. Those pictures are available. By the time you jet the carb, free up the intake airflow, free up the exhaust flow & maybe add a cam & possibly bore it & jack up the compression & displacement, you will have a great sounding, Harley eating( to 60 MPH or so), dependable, nimble bike. If you do the chain conversion, you can get the thing running a top end towards 100 MPH.

I would do it again. I havent heard anyone say they are sorry they bought one. I have heard that about other bikes.Hope that helps you decide.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/12/07 at 20:59:21

Well said Justin.

'96 LS650 21,000 miles First bike

Check out the home page, 4500+ users, 50,000+ posts.

I don't know the percentage that are one timers like yourself that are here to find out about the little savage.

Yeah, there are some short comings regarding the bike.  I'm 6' 240#, and I don't feel cramped.  The footpegs are moderately forward to start with.  As opposed to a directly under the but peg position on most sportsters.  So it puts me in the 'office ergonomic sitting position' with regard to the legs.

Sure the bike's cheap to start with so naturaly it got a low resale value.  But it's a great commuter that you can maintain yourself.  Why burn up a HD harley dodging cagers?  

All I hear about harley's are leaks and hard to work on.  I don't think any bike perfect.  I'm an engineer, I know what accountants do, put limits on engineers.  This bike has been around for 20+ years, if it was that bad, it'd be gone.

I thought this bike was a stepping stone, I'm in the process of changing my mind.  I think it's going to be the daily, while I pick up something for the long (as in miles) weekends.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/12/07 at 21:07:22

I think the fellows above said all & more than I could say other than I'm happy with my savage, am 5'10" & am not constricted by it, like its nimbleness, did not drive a car until I was 35 & used a bike for my sole transport until then so had more than my share of bikes including british iron & "'nuffsaid!" (with apologies to the old Marvel comics quote!)  Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/12/07 at 21:32:58

To make the bike fit you... you may need a new seat and a new set of bars and risers.  The bike was designed for a short guy to go 10 miles, work all day and ride home.  And if he picked up anyone to sit on that pillion... he bought along ear plugs cause the roar of the bike isn't enough.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #5 - 05/13/07 at 07:32:38

I been riding British bikes and have owned about every Harley you can think of from flatheads to evos. 40 years of fun. I bought the Savage for medical reasons and LOVE the thing. Small mods for power and I wanted a chain from the beginning. I finally figured out the combo(with a lot of help from people here) and was the first to convert to chain. Now you can tailor your bike to your riding style. I posted the "how to" in the tech section. A few more people have converted to chain and all are happy. Like I said I LOVE MY SAVAGE.  You didn't mention if the Sportster you have is an 883 or 1200. If it has forward controls and you feel cramped, the Savage is not for you. It is smaller as far as room goes. If you find one to set on at a dealer you will soon find out. The newer models also have drag bars on pull back risers. I did not like them stock(to close,cramped feeling) I reversed the risers and that put the bars more forward and higher, much more comfortable and made the bike feel a lot roomier.  Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 05/13/07 at 07:49:49

I like nimble and quick with gusto, and with a few very inexpensive modifications the Savage will more than fill the bill.    
If you want to take it further down the "road to performaance" that can be done as well.  It is not a pocket rocket and never will be, but it sure can carve up some nice country or mountain roads and do it in fine fashion.  The great low-midrange torque and light weight make it a really good road tool.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 05/13/07 at 07:56:00

Folsomjack wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I had several singles years ago and loved them. Been reading up on the savage prior to  buying one and getting lots of negatives! Cam valve bearing failures, head leaks, poor quality of bolts and fittings belt misalignment.I am 6' tall with long legs also. I am cramped on my Sportster and also have a Vulcan 1600 which is huge for around town.  Are these things true? If they are or most of them it would explain the lack of resale value and the great prices available. All input from owners with time and milage on a Savage would be appreciated

Sounds like you got all the reasons not to get a Savage.

How about a KLR-650 for around town?

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #8 - 05/13/07 at 10:34:59

I have a 06 S40 that is pure stock, and love it.  Sure it only has a little over 5000 miles on it, but so far it has been trouble free.  I would say over half of the 5000+ miles are on the highway at highway speeds.  I am 5'10", 220 with leathers, and it fits me with no problem.  When I am on a 400 mile round trip run, sure I wish I had a little more weight, but it runs good just the same.  I installed a Superbrace on it, and that is a great mod for any light weight bike.  With the price of gas today, I recommend the Savage/S40.  Highway...55-58 MPG, country roads...60-63 MPG.  As said earlier, if it was as bad as some think it is, it would not still be around after 20+ years.
Bottom line is, easy to maintain+light weight+handles highway fairly well+great gas milage+nimble+great sporty looks+lots of fun to ride=one great little bike.
Grin 8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #9 - 05/13/07 at 12:29:51

I have a 2000 Savage with over 13,000 miles on it, previous owner had apparently taken a nasty spill because of all the damage to it, but these bikes are like a timex watch, the take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

I am 6ft and weight approximately 254lbs and this bike fits me quite nicely.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:30:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Should I get one??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.