Send Topic Print
Finally seen it! (Read 19 times)
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Finally seen it!
05/12/07 at 05:05:59

It's hard to believe this but yesterday I saw a biker, no helmet, talking on a cell phone, driving one handed and turning across traffic. I guess I just need to see someone putting on make-up. Anyway, thought some of you would find this interesting... no wonder there are "accidents".

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Finally seen it!
Reply #1 - 05/12/07 at 06:01:11

I'm not sure if that's "better or worse" than the guy I saw splitting traffic on his front wheel... Roll Eyes

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/12/07 at 06:23:49

Now, if the guy doing the stoppie had been on a phone, I was gonna really take notice..

Seriously. I see guys riding in shorts & tank tops, no helmets & I am going down the road fully dressed. I sure need something cooler than a 17 year old leather coat & a$$less chaps to wear. I've been down & have no desire to do all the healing that would be necessary if I went down at speed today. Those optimists riding "near naked" make me cringe.

Talking on a cell phone? Thats goofier than doing a stoppie. Well, close, anyway.

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #3 - 05/12/07 at 08:48:13

There's always someone willing to push the envelope of "stoopid" I guess.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 05/12/07 at 09:40:22

"the difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits"

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/12/07 at 13:11:17

though agree with sentiemnt about the fools in shorts, t-shirts (often on crotch rockets it seems with girlfriend on back in halter top, cut offs & flip flops but maybe I've always missed something with people wearing chaps with no butt covering other than denim. if you fall off in a certain way & go down the road may you not scoot down the road on your butt? ow!

seems to defeat the purpose of wearing leather to me.

I know I'm not the wisest of riders wearing denim jeans ( but with a cordurar jacket (sp?) with kevlar protection in strategic places) but it seems those with chaps also aren't the most sensible of folk, either.  Wink

saying this must say the image of the guy on the cell phone on his bike had me falling out of my chair!

IP Logged
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/12/07 at 13:28:34

One thing I'll say about the biker on the cell phone or wearing shorts - at least they'll most likely only take themselves out.

Those folks in the vans & SUVs - they're gonna kill us all.

IP Logged
jd06s40

live to ride

marion ohio
Reply #7 - 05/12/07 at 14:24:06

yes my riding buddy does that crap all the time,never wears a helmet and talks on the cell phone going down the road.i have been on is butt for a while now. i always wear full gear.

06 s40 se muffler,152.5 mainjet,55pilot,whitespacer mod,suzuki windscreen,gel seat,sissybar more to come
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/12/07 at 14:45:47

I wear those As2les2 chaps, & have considered the bad slide on the back side scenario. I rode my billfild across an intersection one night when I hit sand in a corner, goin slow so it stayed right there & I got not a scratch. Not an "odd on favorite" to ever work so well again, I know, BUtt( pun intended) it's all I have right now & they offer more protection than nothing, I hope. Gotta Run, catch ya later.

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #9 - 05/12/07 at 16:04:14

I wear jacket, ff helmet, gloves, boots, and Dickies.  I can't ever be comfortable in the saddle wearing denim.  I plan on finding some nifty Chuck Taylor hiking boots for riding.   I might do chaps in the winter, but I dunno.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/12/07 at 20:01:45

I would welcome recommendations on reasonably priced, comfortable hot weather gear. This jacket isnt a biker jacket. It's thin leather, no vents, insulated & lined, for winter walking around wear. I cant take it much longer, I'll melt.. The chaps arent so bad, air blows thru some. Especially when I am riding backwards.

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #11 - 05/12/07 at 20:24:39

My jacket cost more than my bike.  I'd say go to a local shop and find something you like.  Then buy it online.  Kneedraggers.com was $68 cheaper than the place in my hometown.  

I wear an Icon Pursuit jacket.  Any of the perforated leathers are nice.  the Pursuit has hard padding on elbows, shoulder, and back.  BIG zippers, zipping cuff bellows, zip-off sleeves, and a zip-out liner.  There are a variety of styles and materials out there for summer riding.  Try some on.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 05/12/07 at 20:25:43

I have a Tourmaster Jett jacket that I bought for $90.
Vents front and back.  Fabric with armor.

I'm plenty confortable on hot California days.  I know your hot days are also humid.  They also make other varieties with more ventilation.

Although I'll say the jacket is well made, the problem is it's minimal protection as it's fabric.

Fell on my arse one night when a bunch of kids decided to turn right from the left turn lane.  I got holes where the armor is and rashes where the armor wasn't.

One other note, tried to contact the Tourmaster for a replacement sans liner and armor, nary a reply.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/12/07 at 20:38:08

Thanks Ver, for the reply, I only saw one thing there I really liked.The price was really low.When a manufacturer doesnt respond, I go cold. Thanks for the heads up

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/12/07 at 21:14:03

justin - I wrote earlier about the cordurar (still can't spell it right) jacket with padding in the strategic parts. in the winter it is a heavyweight one, in summer it is a mesh one. both made by Joe Rocket, who also make similar peforated leather gear - may want to check them online?

must admit I did not buy them locally as were way to pricey but tried on for size in local store then shopped around online. may call me bad for doing this but I have to watch every cent.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:22:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finally seen it!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.