Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Re: Kick Starter
Reply #15 - 05/15/07 at 09:00:27

Peter_the_blacksmith wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
The LS 400 was/is made for the Japanese market only. And has no kick...

Yup, that is a fact, no kick start. Kick start and magneto is the only dependable bike as far as I am concerned. I already had a new Boyer Branson electronic ingition on the Triumph chopper burn up in 2000 miles. Couldn't sell it last year for that reason. Putting a good old dependable Joe Hunt mag in it before I sell it, just so the new owner won't come back. The bike has so much compression with the big bore kit on it that I can put my full 150lbs on the kicker and it won't roll over with out jumping on it. Now that is a real mans bike. I'll take that over a "pus-y" button every time. I had a electric start on my 1955 Farmall A tractor. Battery went dead(6volt) threw it away and pulled the starter. Made up a plate to bolt on where the starter was, to keep dirt out, and been using the crank start for 12 years. Starts every time. One primer crank, next crank she purrs. Simple is always better, unless your lazy.   Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #16 - 05/15/07 at 10:16:22

I've HEARD rumors of a kickstarter for these bikes, though...

for $2k!

in fthe future, if I get that big $$$ job,  I'd like to buy yet another savage, rip it apart, hire an engineering firm, have them figure out how to do it, & get it all machined up correctly.  I don't know if this is a reasonable plan, either...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #17 - 05/15/07 at 10:56:27

Peter_the_blacksmith wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
But Hutch wasn't Wink Grin

Ahh, I see.  Nevermind.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 05/15/07 at 10:58:08

Where thumpers are concerned, I'll stick to an electric start. Just my opinion.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 05/15/07 at 11:21:50

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I've HEARD rumors of a kickstarter for these bikes, though...

for $2k!

in fthe future, if I get that big $$$ job,  I'd like to buy yet another savage, rip it apart, hire an engineering firm, have them figure out how to do it, & get it all machined up correctly.  I don't know if this is a reasonable plan, either...

for $2k I'll tell you a rumor...

And if I was lead engineer on this bike, I'd kicked some Jr's arse from contents to index.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #20 - 05/15/07 at 11:57:08

Even my little 250cc Ducati from the '60s will bring tears to your eyes and curses to your mouth when it kicks back. I'll stick with the electric start on my savage but still think a left side kick starter would be easier than anything on the right side of the engine. Undecided

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #21 - 05/15/07 at 15:42:39

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Where thumpers are concerned, I'll stick to an electric start. Just my opinion.

The 500cc 2005 Royal Enfield Bullet thumper starts right up with the Kicker. I save the battery for the lights. It has a manual decomp and if you know how to start a big single, you won't have a problem. You can set on the seat and make it look like starting a 50cc. Just got to know how to do it. Don't get me wrong, I have had kick back ankle more times than I care to count, but that is how I learned the trick. Fortunately I have always wore engineer boots or harness boots. Tennis shoes are the dumbest things anyone  can wear on a bike. The only thing worse are the idiots I see with sandals and flip flops. Wait till they meet MR. Road Rash. They will learn or quit riding.   Hutch

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #22 - 05/15/07 at 15:55:18

gotta love the squids!

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #23 - 05/15/07 at 16:47:40

Guess I might as well give the secret away. Singles are the easiest, no matter how big. Twins are another story. Some are worse than others. A big single will start like a 50cc if you leave the ignition off, use decomp and roll motor to the EXHAUST stroke, piston coming up, if you have a free flow exhaust you will hear the motor make a long HUFF sound letting the air out the pipe. Just as it quits, you turn ignition on, ratchet kick start back up to the top. Now when you kick, the piston is going down and the intake valve opens to let fuel in on the down stroke, hardley any effort to kick, piston is going down. By the time you get to the bottom of the kick the weight of crank and counterweight takes over to complete the compression stroke and ignition. No kick back, no effort. Real simple when you think about it. Just have to know how a motor works and use IT to do all the work. Most twins are a 50-50 deal. You might get a sore ankle and you might not. Nortons were the worst because they fired way before TDC. Built motored Triumphs were the next worse like the one I just built. Harleys will put you on top of the bars because of the long stroke if they kick back. It is just part of riding a bikers bike.    Hutch

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 05/15/07 at 19:20:11

never had no trouble (kick)starting my '61 BSA 650 Superrocket twin with manual decompression. never bashed my ankle, nor hurt my sole - nothing - just a knack you got to follow, I guess (& I wasn't a "big boy" when I had it in '71 - weighed 140 lb.)

can't remeber for sure but think my Yamaha SR500 single had a kick start too - if so was also no trouble to start.

I'd like option of kickstart if battry was dead.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #25 - 05/15/07 at 20:04:41

Manual decomp makes the difference. Most Triumphs didn't have it. My 67 Royal Enfield 750cc In terceptor doesn't have one, but so far hasn't bit me. The 69 Triumph chopper I built to the gills just loves to let you know who is boss. Last summer the thing put me on a cane for 3 days. Had to have a buddy start it for me so I could go home from his house. The second kick back was the end of walking normal for 3 days. That is the second reason it is getting a magneto. First dependability, second manual retard for easy starting. If I could figure out how to do it, I would have a kicker and a Joe Hunt mag on the Savage in a heart beat. Along with the chain conversion I already did, I would go across country with out any worries. Every wire on the bike could burn up and you could still get home. No lights, but the bike would start(kick) and run with the magneto. Simple but dependable, like bikes should be.

Hutch

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #26 - 05/16/07 at 07:35:02

the more I ook at the case, the more I think it's impossible.

but then I walked tot he other side of the bike... it might be doable as a left side kicker.

one issue with a magneto that hutch touched on above... advance and retard... the stock CDI unit (ignitor) fires (now don't yell at me if I'm a little wrong, I don't have the FSM in front of me) 30 deg before tdcc when rpm is less than 3k, and 5 deg. before tdcc over 3k rpm.

any idea how to work that into a magneto setup?

so, who's got $2-3k and a spare case or two for some r&d work?

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #27 - 05/16/07 at 10:33:30

so, who's got $2-3k and a spare case or two for some r&d work?

I wish I could say me!!!!   Hutch

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #28 - 05/17/07 at 09:52:17

one issue with a magneto that hutch touched on above... advance and retard... the stock CDI unit (ignitor) fires (now don't yell at me if I'm a little wrong, I don't have the FSM in front of me) 30 deg before tdcc when rpm is less than 3k, and 5 deg. before tdcc over 3k rpm.

I believe that you must have the 30deg and 5 deg in the opposite positions. If a motor had 30deg before tdcc under 3k rpm it would want to run backwards due to not enough rotational force to keep it running in the correct  direction(kick back) That is the reason for retarding the timing for easy starting with the slow rotational effort of the kick start.   Hutch   PS Not yelling at you, it took me this long to realize something didn't look right.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #29 - 05/17/07 at 10:23:52

Got a question, if the battery were to low to enable the starter to work, would the decomp selenoid still work, or would you be trying to push start a FULL compression Savage ?? Since I only weigh 150 and usualy have to put a bike in 3rd gear to start by pushing, you see my reason for concern.. If I had the money I would do like Vroom said, I would get an engineering company to make one. You could make your investment back selling the conversion, 2k sounds a little steep to me,unless you want to make your money back by selling ONE. Just wondering about the low/dead battery thing. Anyone had the "luck" to have an answer for that?   Well I guess the grass is dry enough, so it's time to get the crank out and start the Farmall " Super A" and "get 'er done."  I'll be back in about 4 hours, even with the 5 foot deck it is a long job. About $100 a month to mow your lawn, just in gas, what a bunch of ----------------------            Hutch

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:16:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kick Starter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.