Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help! My 87 Savage dies when I brake. (Read 9 times)
jerhoiyan
Ex Member

Help! My 87 Savage dies when I brake.
05/16/07 at 15:55:12

I have a 1987 Savage that has been giving me problems.  I'm new to motorcycles so I could use some help.  My motorcycle starts right up, without using the choke.  However, when I ride, almost every time I come to a stoplight and have to stop, the engine sputters and dies.  It starts right back up, but continues to die every time I stop.  Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this problem?  Thank you!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Help! My 87 Savage dies when I brake.
Reply #1 - 05/16/07 at 16:33:10

So does it have any other symptoms?

Is the rpm low?
does it die when ever the brakes are on?
do you pull the clutch in?
ok that's like 'is it plugged in?' have to ask kind of question, but you'd be surprised how many times the answer was no.

Tell us a little more, how many miles, last thing serviced, what's new, etc, etc, etc...   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 05/16/07 at 17:09:32

only when you come to a complete stop?

or will it die under hard braking and the front end dips?

IP Logged
jerhoiyan
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/16/07 at 17:10:26

Sorry, I should have been more detailed.  The motorcycle has 15,000 miles on it.  I have recently changed the oil and oil filter and put in a new air filter.  When I stop, I pull the clutch in, down shift, and brake (keeping the clutch in the whole time.)  Sometimes it sputters and dies before I stop, other times, I stop, and the idle speed seems to get lower and lower until it dies.  If I rev up the engine a little with the throttle when I feel like it is going to die, it will kind of back fire rev up a little and die shortly after.  It almost seems like it's running out of gas, but the gas is full and the fuelcock it turned on.  Hopefully this will help. Thank you.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #4 - 05/16/07 at 17:14:19

Try the same thing with your "fuelthingy" on PRI...

If it doesn't help, check for a clogged fuel screen/crud in the tank first.

If it runs fine on PRI, suspect the vaccum diaphram.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #5 - 05/16/07 at 17:16:50

Your symptoms don't really sound like a fuel problem, but it's worth a shot and may solve an "aggravation factor."

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
jerhoiyan
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/16/07 at 17:47:08

I should add one more thing.  The bike has been sitting for a couple of months.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/16/07 at 17:52:04

At idle vacuum is at its highest, so doubt it but its good to do that and cross it off the list.

I suspect a loose wire or electric component.   Decel may cause a wire to pull loose somewhere.  What happens if you pull the clutch in and just roll?  Find yourself a long stretch on a quiet road.  Let it idle for the same length of time.  If it doesn't sputter and die, then decel (clutch still in) and stop, just like normal.

Let us know.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 05/16/07 at 18:30:53

I'd suggest pulling your tank and removing your petthingy for a good cleaning with spray carb cleaner.  

It will eliminate 2 possible causes with one repair exercise, plus when you are draining your tank on prime you can judge your "free fuel flow" through the screen very accurately (mine was abismal when the fuel was low in the tank because of several years of storeage with minimal use).  

My fine mesh fuel screen was all blocked up with varnish on the lower 1/3 of the screen and I had idling nad slow running symptoms very similar to yours when my fuel was low (reserve or prime -- it didn't matter.  I wasn't getting any).

Oldfeller

IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
Reply #9 - 05/16/07 at 19:25:25

Check valve clearance?

Sounds like you did just the easy stuff.  

Remove carbs and give good cleaning, check all holes/jets.

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #10 - 05/16/07 at 20:08:11

Partially clogged pilot jet and too low of an idle speed.

Replace your fuel line, put in a filter.  Remove and clean carb.  Adjust your idle back up to 300rpm from wear it is, which is probably around 100rpm(which is where I thought mine should be too).  Remember to tighten your throttle cable back up after you adjust the idle.

I say this because my 1986 did something close to the same.  Died a lot on throttle off for a while, or sounded like it was going bonkers.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 05/17/07 at 06:26:22

tuxedo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Partially clogged pilot jet and too low of an idle speed.

Replace your fuel line, put in a filter.  Remove and clean carb.  Adjust your idle back up to 300rpm from wear it is, which is probably around 100rpm(which is where I thought mine should be too).  Remember to tighten your throttle cable back up after you adjust the idle.

I say this because my 1986 did something close to the same.  Died a lot on throttle off for a while, or sounded like it was going bonkers.

I've had the same problem with both carbs I've used (Mikuni and Amal, both used when I got them) and the suggestions above are right on.  Clean the carb and/or increase the idle a bit.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #12 - 05/17/07 at 07:49:38

jerhoiyan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
 When I stop, I pull the clutch in, down shift, and brake (keeping the clutch in the whole time.)  Sometimes it sputters and dies before I stop, other times, I stop, and the idle speed seems to get lower and lower until it dies.

What about if you put it in Neutral as you come to a stop, does it die then?
A possible additional problem could be the clutch not disengaging completely.  
Pull in clutch, put in 1st, let off brake.. does it try to move?  (After the bike is all warmed up)

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:27:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help! My 87 Savage dies when I brake.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.