Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Kick Starter (Read 38 times)
JaredMcLaughlin
Ex Member

Kick Starter
05/11/07 at 21:15:33

I know I'm a bit nuts, but I know what I want. I'd like to have my Savage as a kick-start bike. Anyone who's taken the engine/tranny apart know what sort of gear I'd need if I were to attempt to fab one? Or, does anyone know of another Suzuki made bike that has an appropriately geared kick starter that I can just fab some mounting for?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Kick Starter
Reply #1 - 05/11/07 at 22:04:07

I've seen this idea "Kicked" around a few times. seems if I remember how it went was. If ya want a kick starter, shoulda bought a bike that has one. The  Suzuki geniuses here that mod all things & make it faster say it aint a happnin thing. I think it would be cool as heck, too. If I could add one, I would be right there with ya.Sadly, it just aint in th cards..
I am gonna feel like a real Doofus if someone says otherwise now, but, thats the way I remember hearing it. BUT, I woiuld be a happy Doofus! I could get a kickstarter!

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #2 - 05/12/07 at 02:20:28

It's possible to convert my KLX (C model) to kick using R model stuff.
And the other way round.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/12/07 at 06:07:47

Ya but, where does that leave us?

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #4 - 05/12/07 at 06:36:00

perhaps, cut a DR650 motor, into the frame and sell the ls650 motor.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #5 - 05/12/07 at 17:18:06

Quote:
cut a DR650 motor, into the frame and sell the ls650 motor

Yeah, and bring the tranny along...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #6 - 05/13/07 at 17:47:48

I had a Honda 360T back in the mid 70's, kick start only...I HATED that kick start.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #7 - 05/14/07 at 17:46:05

Jared, I too wish the Savage had a kick start. The most dependable way  to start a bike. I grew up with kick starts from the 60's. Triumphs,Harleys, Nortons, Bsa, you name it. I hate depending on a battery. The 67 Royal Enfield 750cc bike I have is kick start, so is my 68 Bsa,69 Triumph, and 2005 Royal Enfield Bullet. The Bullet also has electric start, but when the battery was to low to run the starter it started right up with kicker. Push starting a small bike aint bad, but pushing a Harley sucks!! I hate being stranded, that is why I wanted to find a way to put a chain on the Savage, and finally figured it out for everyone. I will try to e-mail Allan in England and find out if the Suzuki LS400 was a kick start. The bike is identical to the Savage with a smaller motor. The problem is that it was never imported to the U.S. I believe the bottom end is the same(not sure) and only the top end is bigger on the Savage. If it has a kick start, it might be possible to put one on the Savage using LS400 parts. Getting the parts would be the next thing. They don't even list the LS400 on the web page titled"every Suzuki ever made" I tried to see if I could get the sprockets from England to put on my S40 and it was a no go finding them. My leg may get tired kicking a stubborn bike, but at least it goes back to full power after a short rest, can't say that about a battery. If you could put one on it, I would also go to a cable actuated decompression release, instead of the battery operated one on the Savage. All the oldie but goodie bikes of my day had a manual decomp. If they didn't and you couldn't start it ,the bike was to big for you. Give me a few days and I might have an answer about the LS400 and if it has a kicker.           Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 05/14/07 at 18:04:28

I would think you could fabricate something that would work on the left side of the engine, just attach it to the  crankshaft. There is even the inspection hole in the side cover which could be used. Run the decompression relay off a pushbutton switch and you'r ready to go.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #9 - 05/14/07 at 23:10:37

i suppose you want to put a crank back on your cars engine. Grin

i rode a 400 cc suzuki for 20 years before this one, and a kick start is the last thing i would want for the savage.

i've bruised the arch of my foot so many times it hurts now just thinking about it.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Peter-the-blacksmith
YaBB Newbies

Choppers for life !

Finland
Reply #10 - 05/15/07 at 00:04:39

The LS 400 was/is made for the Japanese market only. And has no kick...

the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
  IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #11 - 05/15/07 at 00:07:35

look at this:

someone has posted it in this board months ago...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 05/15/07 at 04:51:48

Peter_the_blacksmith wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
The LS 400 was/is made for the Japanese market only. And has no kick...

I think Sluggo was talking about the Suzuki GN-400.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 05/15/07 at 06:36:08

I've been thinking about this a lot lately... esp. as a pal of mine has been busting my balls a lot about a kickstarter (and a magneto!)...  I really don't think it's possible.  go stare at the case.  one of the botls that hold the RH side case on goes right in the center of where you'd have to put a bearing.  even if you reworked the case, THERE'S NO ROOM TO KICK!

IP Logged
Peter-the-blacksmith
YaBB Newbies

Choppers for life !

Finland
Reply #14 - 05/15/07 at 07:07:33

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I think Sluggo was talking about the Suzuki GN-400.

But Hutch wasn't Wink Grin

the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:21:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kick Starter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.