Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Strange Rattle sound (Not speedo issue) (Read 10 times)
tenpins99ca
Ex Member

Strange Rattle sound (Not speedo issue)
05/10/07 at 05:16:08

I have an '86 with 22000 km's (16000 miles) on it, and as of this week, when I am cruising at around 40 mph in 4th gear there is this rattle that seem to be coming out of the cylinder head. It sounds like tiny rocks hitting your car windshield at speed. And yesterday while I was rolling at 50mph the noise got really loud then it was followed by a knock which I felt in my foot pegs!! Has anyone had this problem??

IP Logged
bholly12

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Starkville, MS
Re: Strange Rattle sound (Not speedo issue)
Reply #1 - 05/10/07 at 06:29:03

Cam chain??  Better pop off the clutch cover and check your tensioner out before you grenade your engine!!

-Brad

2006 Euclase Silver Metallic S40, Dyna muffler, K&N drop-in, 1/2 spacer mod, 152.5 main.
WWW   IP Logged
tenpins99ca
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/10/07 at 06:38:29

i started reading other posts about cam chains and I will be checking that this weekend!! Before it all goes boom!!

IP Logged
Phelonius
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/10/07 at 11:44:19

S'not a good sound!

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/10/07 at 17:17:47

I run a magnet thru the oil when I drain it. After such a racket, I would recommend you see what that shows. Also, destroy the filter, carefully, & look for metal. Make sure you keep it from pollution with dirty tools. Wouldnt want to "Find" a piece of something in the filter that came from a pair of pliers.

Best of luck. Your description of symptoms is worrisome. If it was mine, the starter would turn again till I had this figured out..

IP Logged
tenpins99ca
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/11/07 at 05:29:34

I won't be starting the bike until the cam chain has been checked, and, like you said, a magnet is run through the oil. I only paid 500$ so I do not want to spen more then that on fixing her up after a grenade goes off in the motor!!

IP Logged
tenpins99ca
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/15/07 at 07:03:28

OK, so I cracked her open and WOW, I was really close to having a very bad. The tensioner was completly at it's limit. I am having a piece welded onto the end of the tensioner, I'll install it today.

I just have another question however, when I would start the bike (before tearing her down) there was a really nasty sound, kinda like a chain slipping on sprokets. Could this be because the cam chain was so loose? Also when I replace the clutch cover gasket, do I have to put that liquig gasket stuff on also?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/15/07 at 08:29:01

If the clutch cover gasket doesn't have a bead of grey stuff at the top lower side of the oil channel, then you need to add one.

OEM gaskets already have this.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
tenpins99ca
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/16/07 at 08:42:18

Has anyone who has had a loose Cam chain, experienced a really horrible noise when staring their bike? It sounds like a chain slipping on the sprockets. Could a loose cam chaion cause this noise? What else could cause this noise?

IP Logged
trooper3
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/16/07 at 09:26:25

Starter Clutch?

IP Logged
tenpins99ca
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/16/07 at 10:20:23

I have seen some posts about starter clutch issues in 86-87 models. I guess I 'll have to take a look at taht as well.... Undecided

IP Logged
Arrow
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/16/07 at 10:22:42

You Guys got me worried now! I bought a '03 with only 5000km on it but it's got a strange metallic pinging sound when in 3rd gear. The husband says I'm "lugging" it but when I shift down to 2nd it sounds like I'm reving the piss out of her.
I never ridden a Savage before and he says you've got to drive it like you hate it. But I don't want to do it any damage by over reving in 2nd gear just to keep the "ping" out of it.
Anyone else had this problem or is it just my lack of experience? Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 05/16/07 at 10:24:29

I haven't had that problem, sorry.  However, I am following your progress to learn from it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Arrow
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/16/07 at 11:08:19

It shouldn't be a cam chain with that low a milage on it yet, should it?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 05/16/07 at 11:23:54

Arrow wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
It shouldn't be a cam chain with that low a milage on it yet, should it?

I honestly can't offer any advice on what it might be because I can't hear the sound and I'm not imagining it well enough to have a clue as to its origin.  However, I seriously doubt a bike with only 3K+ miles on it would have a cam chain failure.  This assumes you're confident of the actual mileage of the engine.  The only reason I say that is because a used bike may not have its original speedo/odo or, for that matter, its original engine.  It's also possible that a previous owner could have disconnected the speedo for a year or two and later reconnected it.  There are a number of possibilities.  I am not suggesting this is the case with your bike or trying to make you paranoid; only pointing out that the possibility exists.

The question is not whether I'm paranoid.  Rather, am I paranoid enough? Kiss

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:18:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Strange Rattle sound (Not speedo issue)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.