Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Strange Rattle sound (Not speedo issue) (Read 10 times)
georgekathe
Ex Member

Re: Strange Rattle sound (Not speedo issue)
Reply #15 - 05/16/07 at 11:31:21

I don't drive my savage like I hate it arrow - wonder what your husband means?(not wanting to start a fight between either of you or get myself involved in a family dispute!)sure, you should not lug it - I assume you know what that means from what you wrote but it is not a high revving bike so does not need to be screamed through the gears for maxmimum benefit - bascially you should ride it like you would any stcik shift car in my view, though will admit when I first got it was more extreme on the throttle than am now due to getting kick out of its powerful torque.

has your husband been on bike & does it make same noise for him? is the noise at a given speed in 3rd - does it vanish if you go faster? does it do it in every gear. I likely wont be able to give you an answer but mayhap trying it a little bit more & giving the experts on this site a bit more info may be of more help to you.

whatever - in my view it does not sound good - sorry I can't be more help here.

IP Logged
tenpins99ca
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 05/16/07 at 11:40:04

Is there a DIY you replaceing the starter clutch gear?

IP Logged
Arrow
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 05/16/07 at 11:46:21

Thanks Guys, I think the dealerships gonna get her for a day.... Hate to do it but better that then in pieces between my legs on the road. Hate walking.
The hubby rides a 800 Vulcan and isn't tolerant of my "girly bike" his words. But my girly bike can kick his fat a$$ of the line any time, never seen anything so quick.
Let you know what the garage finds. Thanks again. Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 05/16/07 at 11:55:32

Roughly,
up to 10 mph, 1st
up to 20 mph, 2nd
up to 30 mph, 3rd
up to 40 mph, 4th
up to 100 mph, 5th

My hats off to you if you need another gear!  Grin

Roughly, gear up at 3k rpm and shifting will bring you down 1k.

I find at below 2k rpm, that lugging sound starts.
But if you're getting a pinging sound... from the engine... is it preignition?  Which can happen in any untuned engine under stress.  Or elsewhere... have you checked your rubbers lately?  Impulse loads from a slow turning engine may place a greater load on the rubber dampers in the rear wheel.  Something I've noticed anyway.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 05/16/07 at 11:56:05

tenpins99ca wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Is there a DIY you replaceing the starter clutch gear?

Not that I recall but you might search using backlash as a keyword.  Also set the number of days to something like 999.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Arrow
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 05/16/07 at 12:15:43

Humm, I have been shifting right. Put a new plug in it but that was all for a tune up, the rubbers good. I thought it was spark knock too at frist but now....
As soon as it warms up here alittle I'll take her to the Doc, they say it might just be a vibration but she likes to do that back fire thing too that I've read about on this site. Can that burn valves?

IP Logged
tenpins99ca
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 05/16/07 at 12:47:43

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Not that I recall but you might search using backlash as a keyword.  Also set the number of days to something like 999.

Thanks Savage_Rob, I'll give it a try.

IP Logged
tenpins99ca
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 05/17/07 at 07:42:54

So yesterday I reinstalled my Cam Chain tension adjuster, with a new hole welded on tip (the Slavy mod), and everything works really well now. This is actually the first time I have ever done anything like this, I have never even changed my own oil before, and let me tell ya, it feels really rewarding to be able to tear open your bike, remove, fix, and replace damaged parts, reassemble your bike, and then have it start and sound really good!! I guess my next job is the "Backlash" issue!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:21:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Strange Rattle sound (Not speedo issue)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.