Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
performance mods? (Read 6 times)
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
performance mods?
05/09/07 at 22:39:40

my buddy just got a stock 883 and Im looking for a few cheap performance upgrades to ensure that i get him at the red lights. I have already put on a cone filter, rejet, and straight pipe with tunable baffle made from thumb screw and washer. Is there any other little tips or tricks i can use to up my performance? one day ill get the cam and carb upgrade, but till then im looking to get a few more miles on the topend.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: performance mods?
Reply #1 - 05/09/07 at 23:07:16

Jam a tater in hiz tail pipe,, You'll get him for sure..Buut, really, why bother? Soi what if he wins, ONCE? If he can take your 650 with it as it is, you will just have to do something else.. You can mess with it more if he wins, but, I am pulling for ya/ Let me know how it goes. I havent found anyone to run yet.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/11/07 at 09:05:24

If you aren't already leaving him at red lights (I hope you're waiting till they turn green) in a cloud of smoke and burnt rubber... take off all the bling you can... chrome fender supports, heat shields, chrome head covers, etc.  Are getting enough zing on the get go? Or is the clutch slipping?  Then add a washer under the clutch springs.  A little less air in the tire might give you a little more grip at a cost.

WWW   IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #3 - 05/11/07 at 09:34:42

well we havnt raced yet, but he'll be here in june so i am prepping the bike for then. (in pieces in the kitchen right now) but i think i got him already, i dont know what he has done to his bike though, so it should be a good race.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 05/11/07 at 10:11:46

due the chain mod and put on a huge rear sprocket for more torque.  loose 20 lbs = 1 HP

or is it 3 HP?

what's that old rule of thumb?  7lbs = 1 HP, or 20 lbs = 1 HP?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 05/11/07 at 14:00:44

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
due the chain mod and put on a huge rear sprocket for more torque.  loose 20 lbs = 1 HP

or is it 3 HP?

what's that old rule of thumb?  7lbs = 1 HP, or 20 lbs = 1 HP?
8 pints o beer =1 h.p. or is it 1 gal?? Roll Eyes
either way you should have no probs with a stock 883..
1200 sporties only take you for granted once!!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/11/07 at 14:38:54

When I did the clutch shims I noticed the "Pockets" for the springs weren't all the same depth. They are done so as to make each spring level to the others. A washer that bridges over the pocket will cause the springs to be under slightly different pressures. I put the 4 washers I wanted to use, & after using callipers to get a close match, because the washers at the store arent the same thickness, I ran a bolt thru them & tightened them down with a nut, chucked the bolt in a drill press & ran it at the highest speed. Then( GRINDER Run!!) took the grinder & worked all 4 down at the same time. Since they were spinning I was able to get their diameters down & keep them round. I am very happy with the clutch, no mo slippy unless I fade the clutch to keep the things front wheel from getting too high if I rip off from a stop too hard. GEE! What a rough problem to deal with..  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:20:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › performance mods?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.