Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
From Carb to Fuel injected (Read 7 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
From Carb to Fuel injected
05/06/07 at 09:53:09

Has anyone here done a fuel injection mod? I'm thinking about getting rid of the carb altogether and seeing what can be done with replacing it with a throttle body fuel injection set-up.

Right now its only in the "I wonder if that will work" stage and was wondering if someone could either give me advice on what throttle body injection set-up would work best or if it will work at all.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: From Carb to Fuel injected
Reply #1 - 05/06/07 at 12:41:49

An engineering student in Western Wa if I remember correctly, had started on this project about a year ago. Need to find a programmable box, have unlimited dyno time to figure out all the 3D computer programs for engine load, throttle position, RPM, charge ait temperature. It is possible but would be expensive. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/06/07 at 20:43:31

Okay, I admit, I am totally out of my element here, but, I have  read that in order to jet one right & easily, an oxygen sensor can be placed in the header p[ipe. I understand that & I think most do. Given that as fact, then a "reader" of the sensor could be used to "adjust" the injector & , via a feedback loop, maximize the mixture, based on a preset preferred output from the oxygen sensor. If the sensor reads rich, it leans the mix, if lean, it richens. Is that reasonable? It SAYS easy,, no idea how hard it would be to do it. I dont even know if doing it perfectly would actually create a usable injector system.. Just a thot,, please, if yer gonna laff, do it quietly? OOOkay, I am goin back to my corner now..

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #3 - 05/07/07 at 07:00:56

the newer generation of harley F.I. is more programmer friendly than the earlier version. an 883 sportster fuelie system may be an option.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 05/07/07 at 10:21:56

From the retired Auto teacher, you are correct,  the O2 sensor does trim the the A/F ratio to 14.7:1, but the basic injector on time (in ms) is determined by the factors I mentioned. Also ignition timing mapping is part of the math the computer accomplishes. It is all doable, but payback is going to take forever. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #5 - 05/07/07 at 15:59:19

Well, that definately sounds more complicated than I thought it might be. Here I was thinking, take off carb, put on throttle body and you're ready to rock. I will just have to do much more research on it and take it slow.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/07/07 at 21:06:08

Remember. I am talkin way over my head, but I think I kave this right. When the throttle is cranked open part way, a throttle position sensor has to tell the injector"He wants 40% throttle" or 50% or Wide Open, shoot the gas in there!!" & the O2 sensor will be deciding if the injector is doing the right job & telling the computer to make adjustments. This isnt a weekend project. Well,, not for me anyway//

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #7 - 05/07/07 at 21:38:02

It definately won't be a weekender for me either. Now if I could only find a full kit with everything from the wiring to the throttle body and injector it just might be a weekender.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #8 - 05/08/07 at 10:53:50

I would never even think about something like that !
I like the simplicity. If there was a way to do it cheaper, I'd go back to the kick starter, remove all the safety systems , go to a magneto and the only thing left will be to ride and make sure there is oil and gas in the bike.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:23:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › From Carb to Fuel injected

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.