Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike cuts out at Highway speeds (Read 15 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Bike cuts out at Highway speeds
04/18/07 at 16:50:39

I posted briefly a while back about this issue and thought it was just the conditions in which I was riding, but I have since learned that it wasn't.

Here's the problem.

Took the FireLizard out for a nice leasurely ride the other day. Temp was low 70s nice breeze, in short, perfect riding weather.

My buddy and I were cruising back from the shooting range when my bike started cutting out again. It would run nice and strong and suddenly feel as if it missed a gear and wen't into neutral, however it did not. It felt as if the engine had died, but rolling back the throttle to almost  WOT would rev the engine back up, I would then downshift and run in a lower gear. After a few feet it would do it again.

Finally I was able to cruise along with no problem at about 40 to 45 mph. We got back into town and my buddy noticed intermittent black smoke coming from my pipe.

Am I running rich and at highway speeds it is flooding out or what? This only happens when I am at highway speeds, between 55 and 75, haven't gotten over 75. In town speeds 0 to 45 I am perfectly fine.

Just to let you know, I am running 152.5 Main, 55 Pilot, Jardine slip-on muffler, and K&N slip-in air filter. My air/fuel mix is about 2 turns more or less.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Forgot to mention I also shaved the white spacer to half.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Bike cuts out at Highway speeds
Reply #1 - 04/18/07 at 17:24:46

Try a run in prime and let us know.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #2 - 04/18/07 at 18:36:59

what main jet are you running? and does it do it in every gear when you rev it up to a specific rpm, and hold it there?

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 04/18/07 at 18:51:57

Quote:
what main jet are you running?

Quote:
I am running 152.5 Main

I agree, try a run with the petc0ck on PRI and report back...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #4 - 04/18/07 at 19:27:41

tbalam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
what main jet are you running? and does it do it in every gear when you rev it up to a specific rpm, and hold it there?

I answered the main jet question in the first post. it is a 152.5

All I know at the moment is that when I try to get it up to the highway speeds mentioned, it works fine for a little bit then it cuts out. I can run it up to 40 to 45 mph with no trouble, but once I go past that it starts to try to cut out and then does.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/18/07 at 19:49:12

Can this be a carb float set so low the thing runs outta gas?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 04/18/07 at 19:59:49

might be or the diaphram acting strange likeletting it suck gas straight into the intake - agreed - run it on prime may be with the petc0ck vacuum hose off and plugged.

might be worthwhile to take the vac line lose at the righthand (starboard) side of the carb that goes to the petc0ck and suck on it - get any gas?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/18/07 at 21:21:43

One of the things that happen at high throttle settings is the vacuum pressure drops.  if you got a leaky vacuum hose, this makes the drop in pressure even worse.  Enough to shut off the vacuum actuated petc0ck.  I don't trust my petc0ck in the run position cause of this.

Two, you got a new tank.  Did the fresh load of gas loosen up the tank liner or whatever is floating around and is now stuck in the petc0ck filter.

Three, check the carb vent tubes.  dam bugs.

Any thing else new?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #8 - 04/18/07 at 21:26:01

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I answered the main jet question in the first post. it is a 152.5

All I know at the moment is that when I try to get it up to the highway speeds mentioned, it works fine for a little bit then it cuts out. I can run it up to 40 to 45 mph with no trouble, but once I go past that it starts to try to cut out and then does.

sorry missed that.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #9 - 04/19/07 at 21:36:42

This weekend I will be doing a few troubleshooting things to see if I can figure out what is going on with the FireLizard. I'll let ya'll know what I find out.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 04/19/07 at 21:54:01

As Verslagen said...try it on prime.  If you are able, pull the hose and stick a bolt in it.  Then plug the carb too.  That will completely exclude the petdong for the equation.

Then hopefully you and your Firelizard will have fun.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #11 - 04/20/07 at 02:15:01

It's not relevant but KLX used to cut out at 60mph (After I'd made and fitted the bellmouth and filter), came home took the filter off went out again and 80mph no problem. So I made an aluminium thing to work with a zip tie and hold the filter out of the carb, problem solved.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #12 - 05/08/07 at 13:54:11

I do beleive I have figured out what is causing the FireLizard to cut out. Trash in the tank. The new tank I put on had a bunch of trash in it. I thought I had cleaned it out well enough but apparently not

so I just got done removing my fuel tank again and trying to clean it up. Had a bunch of trash in it that was clogging the petc0ck filter, I think I got most of it but we'll see after I put the tank back on after I let it air out and dry.

I also stiffened up the saddlebags with some wall panelling.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/08/07 at 15:31:03

hope this is not taken as a silly question, yonuhadisi, but do you have an inline filter - will help stop crap that has got through petcock filter from going in carb - cost very little - buy a transparent one so you can see if there is crud in it.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #14 - 05/08/07 at 16:34:43

Nope not a silly question, and no I don't have one yet but will be getting one as soon as possible. I am also going to look into some tank sealer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:23:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike cuts out at Highway speeds

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.