Send Topic Print
Over adjusted valves? (Read 10 times)
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Over adjusted valves?
05/04/07 at 18:08:39

Well I adjusted the valves to 0.003" on intake and exhaust and I've put a jardine slash cut on over the week.  Did the valves and the muff at the same time. soon after i put the jardine on and Adjusted the valves I been hearing what sounds like an Exhuast leak when letting of the throttle or giving throttle in 1st thru 3rd. I did replace the header to muffler gasket but not the manifold to header gasket. I did get a noise on the road the other day that was to say the least loud and jerky seems that It may have been road debris because a chunk of my rear tire is missing. of coarse that may or may not of already been there before all of this.
Q. What are the tall tale signs of tight valves and what are the consequences?
      Its a 2001 savage, stock pilot, 152.5 main, K&N drop-in , 6,246 on the Odometer.

-Scott-

IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Re: Over adjusted valves?
Reply #1 - 05/04/07 at 18:44:20

Oh, and i thought my cam chain may have been the culprit on the road problem in an earlier post. just seemed to early to me though

IP Logged
jd06s40

live to ride

marion ohio
Reply #2 - 05/04/07 at 18:54:05

i adjusted mine the other day.i thought i had it right,then i rode to work and the bike sounded weird and didnt have the power it had before the valve adjustment.i got home, i only work 2 miles from home,and went to check clearance and they were at .003,i adjusted them to .004 i thought. i readjusted them and took it out, it was alot better got my power back and then some. the bike feels stronger than it has ever been.

06 s40 se muffler,152.5 mainjet,55pilot,whitespacer mod,suzuki windscreen,gel seat,sissybar more to come
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 05/04/07 at 19:27:19

little loose is way better than a little tight - if they're not closeing your etch the valve seat fairly quick

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/04/07 at 19:28:11

Why so tight? One mistake and you have a problem.

If I had to turn the adjustment screw more than a quarter turn, I'd recheck TDC (several times, following every suck, squeeze, bang, blow).  It's very easy to get the wrong one.

But more likely you may have the wrong 'feel' for tightness on your feeler gages.  You can force the gages in cause of the oil and you are fooled into thinking it's right.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/04/07 at 22:51:13

I know when I am doing this I take about 3 times as long as any mechanic ever would. I check & recheck, making sure the pressures to slide the gauge arent excessive & it doesn't just fly thru without any drag at all. It's not all that hard to drag a feeler gauge thru too tight a valve adjustment, pushing is way different. If ( just my thinking here, anyone can jump in & correct) it starts foo okay, buut changes how it runs when it's warmed up completely, I would suspect too tight on the valves, since the stem "grows" when it gets hot. I don't push the adjustment on the exhaust so tight. Since that stem is in the flow of hot gasses, I expect it to grow more than the intake.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/04/07 at 22:52:46

If it starts FOO? I have no idea what my fingers were thinking,, I meant UP, not foo,, really,,  Tongue

IP Logged
Phelonius
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/05/07 at 07:07:43

When adjusting valves, an RCH loose it much safer than too tight. Getting them to be absolutely quiet is not always the best. just remember, the most quiet thing is death. better to have just a smidgeon of tick.
As for the symptoms of too tight adjustment, there is this.
Adjust them on the loose end of the specification first. Then run the machine till warm and check the compression. Write it down in your maintainance log.
Now if you want to try tightening them a bit, wai untill tomorrow for a cool engine and do the new adjustment. Run it till warm and check the compression again. If it is any lower, it is because the valves are too tight.
I know this seems like a lot of trouble but so is rebuilding an engine because of a mistake.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #8 - 05/05/07 at 08:23:18

I'm going to readjust them today. going for 0.004 Exhuast and 0.003 Intake  that seems to be the ongoing suggestion. I hope that nothing is damaged from this overtightening experience.
 Thanks for all the input. This site rocks!
                 -Scott-

IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #9 - 05/05/07 at 09:31:44

What If you set your valves to 0.004 but afterwards you recheck and you can fit bigger feelers in how can you tell what you have? I'm at TDC of the compression stroke. They seem to slide right in not cool man

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 05/05/07 at 10:14:53

go on past it a little bit - just how loose are they ? should have been sounding like a thrashing machine if you had set them on exhaust last time - but hey if they were gap'd too big you certainly weren't fireing though open exhaust and etching the seats

IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #11 - 05/05/07 at 12:06:22

Eureka, valves were set tight on exhuast 0.003 but One was a little looser than the other which made me think soom thing was up with that. I set the Intake 0.003" and exhuast 0.004" which should Hopefully Lips Sealed make everything okay with that. Plus I got my gasket in the mail for the Exhuast/ Manifold and put that on while I was wrenching.  The Old one was soo compressed that the flange actually was touching the Exhaust port. Didn't realize It wasn't supposed to until I replaced it.
Going to take it out for a test drive and see if things improved.

IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #12 - 05/05/07 at 13:03:15

Yep, everything seems in order had to adjust my pilot screw alittle getting some pops and crackles on decel but other than that I think its safe to say my valves are in order.
 Thanks you guys for all the feedback.
               -Scott-

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:33:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Over adjusted valves?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.