Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
miles and miles and...... (Read 26 times)
norway
Ex Member

miles and miles and......
04/30/07 at 09:49:59

I would like to get some feedback from all you fine people on how the total mileage on your savage.
I was told by a guy at my lokal suzuki dealer/workshop that the savage is the poorest bike suzuki has ever made, and that I shouldnt invest to much money in my bike. I was totally p****d off and told the man that I bought my savage in 1992(its a 1985 mod.) it has run over 150 000 km (approx.94 000 miles) without any problems exept plug cap leak, which I by the way fixed just last year.He said I had been lucky, so I just wanna know how "lucky" I actually am, or just acknowledge the fact that the savage simply is a kick a** bike.
comments please.

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Re: miles and miles and......
Reply #1 - 04/30/07 at 10:48:28

You got a good one!

Ken

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 04/30/07 at 11:10:23

There are other owners out there who have had good success with the Savage

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #3 - 04/30/07 at 11:31:12

Smiley It looks as if you have kept the maintenance up quite well, and you say it is a "mod", so who ever did the mods, knew what they were doing. This has been discussed before, and the milage some people have on their Savage is beyond what some cars get.  All I have to say is, my 06 S40 is still new as far as milage goes, only about 4800 miles, but I plan on keeping the preventive maintenance done, and I also am a conservative rider.  As long as the Savage/S40 is taken care of and is not driven as if it is a crotch rocket, I would say it should last well ito the six digit area.  Unlike some riders, I can not tell what it will top out at, or do I care.  I have had my 06 S40 up to a little over 80 and it was not topped out.  I shift at conservative speeds (15-20, 25-30, 45-55) without winding it out.  DON'T MISUNDERSTAND ME, I have nothing against doing mods to get more out of the engine, because some mods are good to improve general performance, but I am not doing any to mine.
I guess the bottom line is that if you take care of it, and only have someone you knows what they are doing, do mods to it, and don't ride it like it is a crotch rocket, it should give the owner many miles and years of VERY enjoyable riding.
IF WHAT THE DEALER TOLD YOU IS TRUE, WHY HAS IT BEEN AROUND FOR 20+ YEARS.  I think he is only tying to sell the larger bikes for a larger commission.  My dealer tole me the opposite with the same information I have jusy told you.  I ride with the Patriot Guard Riders and the "big bike" riders are amased at the performance the S40 has being completely stock, and we do a LOT of highway riding.

Ride Safe   Smiley 8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 04/30/07 at 11:48:34

norway wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
...I was told by a guy at my lokal suzuki dealer/workshop that the savage is the poorest bike suzuki has ever made....

A motorcycle model with a 20+ year production run cannot be "the poorest bike Suzuki has ever made."

Unless you are looking at if from a dealer's perspective.  It is one of the least expensive, meaning a smaller profit margin on initial sale.  It is easy to maintain, meaning you don't need the dealer for oil changes, valve adjusts, brakes, tuneups, etc..  It could very easily be the poorest bike ever made as far as the dealer is concerned as they can make a LOT more money if they can talk you into getting a computer controlled fuel injected liquid cooled technological masterpiece that must be taken to the dealer for service.

When it's a choice between me keeping my money and the Stealership getting it -- I prefer me.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #5 - 04/30/07 at 12:11:01

norway wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
=
I was told by a guy at my lokal suzuki dealer/workshop that the savage is the poorest bike suzuki has ever made,

The worst Suzuki I've encountered was one my dad had.  It was a dual purpose PM 250 (Yes, that's a PM, not a RM, DR, SP...).  Basically a mash between a couple different bikes.  Every time he needed a part, it was impossible to find, and no one else I've encountered has ever heard of it.

In any case, not only was it impossible to get parts for, it needed them constantly, as it was constantly breaking down.  Not to mention underpowered.  My dad paid $500 for it, and ended up thinking he paid too much for it.  He ended up trading it for a guitar.

Our beloved Savage is certainly better than that!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/01/07 at 00:59:43

I have no idea how far I will ride this one, but I saw one in a Wal-Mart lot that had a ton of miles on it. It was plenty ugly but it was someones daily rider. I wish I could remember the mileage, all I remember was it was enough to shock me.
No kidding, a dealer told you a bike thats been on the market this many years was one of Suzi's wor\st? IF they are so bad, how do they maintain the market for them? Crappy bikes dont stay on the market long. Bike riders become aware of the problems & avoid the bike pretty quickly. That dealer has an agenda & it's not to help you. My opinion,,

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 05/01/07 at 22:24:56

Hope all you guys are right, cause I was a little sad when mine went past 10k miles, and I want to ride it forever.  I love my bike and no other model out there comes close, for me.  Please tell it will last forever.
 Yesterday, outside the bookstore, a guy on a really tricked out bobber sportser was waiting outside to ask me about my bike.  Not usually jap bike fans, but this is not your usual jap bike.
 This bike has lots of classic lines and lots of custom potential.  I see so many varieties on this site.  Most bikes today you customize by adding billet aluminum or chrome and it ends up looking  like all the rest anyway.  Boring!

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
T140V
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/01/07 at 22:33:39

I'd say the guy probably doesn't like singles or cruisers. It's not luck to get that kind of mileage.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/02/07 at 06:34:41

Well, Serowbot, I wont say you will ride it forever. Stuff does wear out. But, the bike I saw was so ugly it should have been shot, but the guy was still riding it. Maybe in 10 years or so, you will just get a new one...

IP Logged
tomcat
YaBB Newbies
2003 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 05/03/07 at 10:36:04

I've only got about 36000 miles on mine.  No major problems yet (I put 35k of those miles on it) and mine is a daily driver.  I'd prolly have to ask him what he meant by 'worst' (it's missing a cylinder?  it's a one-up bike with a passenger pillion?  you've had to work on some of them and you know what you're talking about?  what?).

My savage is a little small and underpowered for the riding that I do but I sure can't claim it's a bad bike.  Gets me around and hasn't left me stranded yet.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 05/04/07 at 20:17:06

I sold my Vulcan 800A. I kept my Savage.

'nuff said...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #12 - 05/04/07 at 20:58:40

There is nothing wrong with your bike... Your salesman needs reconditioning. You can't just go to the in-town bike shoppe and get the "latest and greatest' Bling-Bling for your bike. Ours are customized by American made intuition from the backyards, basements, and garages of this great land. Not a double markup blister-pack that without fail will have "made in -$#%@%$^.
There are bullet proof and driveway ornaments cycles. Taking proper care of it will have more of an effect on it's durability.  
WD, I really thought you would have more to say, although perhaps you said it best. Nuff said.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 05/04/07 at 21:20:37

One man trash is another's treasure.

Since the Savage is a diamond in the rough, he can't see the posibilities or doesn't know how to polish.

WWW   IP Logged
PA KID
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/05/07 at 06:10:34

Ahh yes the poorist bike in the suzuki line,beats those with
a higher price tag.    Shocked

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:19:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › miles and miles and......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.