Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mounting a Sportster muffler (Read 5 times)
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Mounting a Sportster muffler
05/04/07 at 06:03:25

I see alot of folks here have sporty mufflers. How hard are they to mount ?

How much does it change the sound of the bike ?

How much tuning (if any) is involved ?

Thanks....getting bit by the mod big I guess.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Mounting a Sportster muffler
Reply #1 - 05/04/07 at 06:45:34

I won't get into the mounting and tuning as it's been covered pretty exhaustively (no pun intended) and a few searches would turn up more information than I could impart.  So far as sound goes, there's a thread in the Tech Ref forum with mp3 sound clips of various folks' LS650s with different exhausts.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 05/04/07 at 07:27:41

I'll just say it's a little louder than I wished it was. But at a seriously low idle it sound like half a V-Twin. Since I got two of them like new for $20.00 I guess I'll be  getting used to the volumn change for quite a while.

Midas made me an adaptor with the proper degree of bend, welded it to the header pipe and bolted the Sportster muff so the end dumps BEHIND the rear brake stuff all together. I just talked to the guy in the parking lot. Described what I wanted and he said "Sure. They would do it." $30.00. They used an ugly u-bolt clamp so if a long heat shield doesn't cover it I might change the clamp.

Jack

IP Logged
mau2wu
YaBB Newbies

MAU2W

Florida
Reply #3 - 05/10/07 at 01:22:03

Here is my two cents... having just recently done the Sporster muff change.

It is louder but not so loud as to be an annoyance to neighbors, but they can hear you coming.  I think the sound fits the bike much better and gives it character.  I noticed more popping/sputtering on decel though with the new muffler.   I got mine for 50 bucks from a bike shop and had a good time figuring out how to mount it and retune the bike.  There are good instructions on this website on how to mount it.

06 s-40, sporster muffler, 1/2 spacer, 150 main, 52.5 pilot, black pipe wrapped in tin foil.
  IP Logged
mau2wu
YaBB Newbies

MAU2W

Florida
Reply #4 - 05/10/07 at 01:22:40

I mean "here are my two cents."  I am challenged by the English language.

06 s-40, sporster muffler, 1/2 spacer, 150 main, 52.5 pilot, black pipe wrapped in tin foil.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 05/10/07 at 01:57:32

Mau2wu, you write like a latino...
Bro?

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 05/10/07 at 23:00:08

Here's my two cents worth. I think the "here is my two cents worth" is grammatically correct. You're talking about the concept or idea singular that is the "two cents worth" and not the literal "two cents". When it comes to money it's often treated as both plural and singular anyway as in:
"Is two cents going to be enough?"
or:
"Are two cents going to be enough?"
Depends on if you're talking about the unit of money as a whole or it's individual parts. Of course we all know that two cents ain't worth a hill o' beans even when it comes to penny candy.

As to the popping and sputtering on decel, mine actually is behaving a little better after the new muff was put on. I've not gone in to readjust the carb settings yet 'cause it seems to be running nicely. I had already taken the white spacer completely out. And now I prefer to think of those noises as backing down cracks instead of backfires. Way cooler in a sixties, my first car with a bad muffler sort of way.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:24:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mounting a Sportster muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.