Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LOUD backfire when shut down (Read 13 times)
raynman
Ex Member

LOUD backfire when shut down
05/01/07 at 06:48:11

Hey, new guy here.  I just bought a '05 S40 for the wife.  Pretty cool little bike, but there is a LOUD backfire whenever the bike is run for a while and shut off.  In looking through the posts here, this seems to be a chronic condition for these engines.  To me this suggests a lean condition.  If this in fact is the case, would choking the bike prior to shutting it off minimize the backfire, and will doing so potentially cause any damage (due to back pressure)?  I do realize that carb adjustments may improve this condition, but other than the backfire it runs great.  My preference is to keep it stock.    

Thanks in advance for your comments.    Ray

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: LOUD backfire when shut down
Reply #1 - 05/01/07 at 07:47:35

I wonder if you have tried openning the throttle all the way & BEFore the engne can even wind up , flick the kill switch? Maybe that would richen it enough at the last second so it doesnt backfire? Maybe pull the choke before killing it>?
If all else fails, I guess she will just have to keep riding so it never shuts off! Like the drunk avoiding a hangover by just stayin drunk,, somehow, the practical worth of that suggestion fails me.. maybe one of the first 2 will help?
Welcome to the board. Hope you get wjhat you need ,,

IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #2 - 05/01/07 at 08:31:15

Hey Raynman, Mine does the same thing. I have a jardine slipon exhaust, 1/2 spacer mod, rejetted to 55 pilot and 152.5 main. I have gotten rid of most of the backfiring, but still get a loud BANG at shutdown. My solution to this is to keep it in 1st gear at shutdown and gently let out the clutch until it dies, rather than using the kill switch. That is the only way I've gotten it to not BANG at shutdown. I don't mind the bang so much when shutting down at home, but at bike nights or places like that, it's definitely a little embarrassing to say the least  Embarrassed

WWW   IP Logged
raynman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/01/07 at 10:44:20

Thanks for the replies.  I guess I'll just tell the wife to drop to the ground and cover her head when she shuts it off.   Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/01/07 at 11:16:45

Mine is a stock 96.

I adjusted the pilot idle screw per sweet spot in the rpm at idle method and pow! at shut off.

Then I gave a quarter turn (back to the way I got it) and puff on shut off.

Of course later it developed a pow! with every decel (great way to get rid of tail gaters) that turned out to be a header leak.  If I could get that on command.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 05/01/07 at 11:25:15

cycle the run button off and on or just tap the kickstand with you toe - enough to kill the ign for a few turns of the engine- you'll get it- makes cats, kids, and dogs scatter - liable to make the gangs and cops draw down on you Grin Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/01/07 at 12:02:53

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Mine is a stock 96.

I adjusted the pilot idle screw per sweet spot in the rpm at idle method and pow! at shut off.

Then I gave a quarter turn (back to the way I got it) and puff on shut off.

Of course later it developed a pow! with every decel (great way to get rid of tail gaters) that turned out to be a header leak.  If I could get that on command.   Grin

Before I bypassed the sidestand switch I used that at stoplights when someone had their obnoxious stereo so loud it bugged me, just put it in 1st, wind it up, use a heel on the sidestand & Bang,, makes me jump, now I have to use the kill switch, & that's not always such a stealthy maneuver.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 05/01/07 at 15:42:12

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Before I bypassed the sidestand switch I used that at stoplights when someone had their obnoxious stereo so loud it bugged me, just put it in 1st, wind it up, use a heel on the sidestand & Bang,, makes me jump, now I have to use the kill switch, & that's not always such a stealthy maneuver.

I'l have to try that sometime Justin, sounds like fun.  Grin Grin

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 05/01/07 at 15:50:25

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:

How anti something or other of you - aren't you ashame

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/01/07 at 18:54:03

There was one young man who was actually wearing EARPLUGS, driving a certain make vehicle & the stereo was so loud I could SEE the trunk lid shaking & hear the car vibrate. I thot that piece O crap was gonna come apart. he had his windows open. I suspect he thought someone took a shot at him, sice it was before i fixed the backfire. Yea, I just feel terrible,,  Wink

IP Logged
Suffrajet
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/07/07 at 02:55:38

Five_Points wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I don't mind the bang so much when shutting down at home, but at bike nights or places like that, it's definitely a little embarrassing to say the least  Embarrassed

Mine backfires every time I shut it off and I get a little blue flame shoot out the exhaust. I count to 3 and then point at the exhaust on 4, it backfires, and people think it's really cool at bike nights.

So don't be embarassed - it's part of the bike's character, and i love it!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 05/07/07 at 05:29:29

Do not leave a lean condition, it is not so good for the engine.  Tune, jet, or both, as your particular engine requires...pilot jet that is.

IP Logged
raynman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/09/07 at 10:07:14

Update - Choking the engine just prior to shutting down really does minimize (if not eliminate) the problem.  Makes sense, as the backfire is caused by a lean condition.  Anyway, my wife is much happier now that she doesn't have to take cover when shutting down.   Wink

IP Logged
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/11/07 at 08:25:23

Last year, I found that leaving the bike in 1st gear and letting out the clutch just enough to put some pressure on the transmission eliminated the problem.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:21:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LOUD backfire when shut down

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.