Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Aftermarket muffler/exhaust options? (Read 15 times)
Jonny_Chicago
Serious Thumper

Nazis, f**k off!

Chicago, IL
Aftermarket muffler/exhaust options?
05/04/07 at 00:52:22

Ok, so heres the deal. I am looking at exhausts and mufflers and do not want to do any custom work (like bending, welding, custom carb work, etc.) I would just like to take off the exhaust and bolt on a new aftermarket one.  

What are my aftermarket options?

All I have found so far is a jardine slip-on made for the savage, what is everyones thoughts on this? Is this my only "easy to do", non-custom option?
Do there exists any other options?

I was going to get the screaming eagle, but do not want to do all the bending, welding, and other custom work to make it fit.  Just want an exhaust/muffler that either slips on easy or bolts on where the old one was.

Any suggestions, money is not an option.

Any input is much appreciated! Smiley

Thank you much for your time
Jonny Chicago

P.S. once I get the aftermarket muffler/exhaust on I will take it to a mechanic to get rejetted to the new muffler

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Aftermarket muffler/exhaust options?
Reply #1 - 05/04/07 at 04:24:56

Listed for the savage are the Jardine, Raask, MAC, and the Supertrap, of course most slipons can be made to work, it's more than a re-jet to get the bike running spot on with any of these pipes - it's a balance across the throttle range.

Normally here we advocate DIY on the bike because you can save a pile money and learn how the carb functions with in the overall system - but to do that does take some time.  

So let's assume the situation has made a persons time far more valuable than any $$'s that might be saved with a DIY job.

What would be the best things to drop off at a shop and just have it done? Seems to me the shop really isn't going to want to fool around with sanding the white spacer and just changing the Mainjet isn't going to get it where it should be so how about:

A K&N slide in filter, a DynoJet kit, and a SupperTrap - wouldn't these be the easiest things for a shop to work with given they are not up to speed on the workings of the savage?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 05/04/07 at 07:07:32

Quote:

A K&N slide in filter, a DynoJet kit, and a SupperTrap - wouldn't these be the easiest things for a shop to work with given they are not up to speed on the workings of the savage?    

Those can be a good starting point and will work well assuming the shop doing the work is a good one and the tech knows what he is doing.   I would want to take it to a shop that has a dyno with which to jet/tune the setup.  There are a lot of shops nowdays that just don't seem to have qualified personnel...or perhaps since this is a basic single cylinder bike they put one of the young newguys on it for some training time and he just does not understand the basics of carburetor theory.  There are a lot of stories here of poor results at the dealership.  If a real life bike shop is in the area, the type of place where they actually BUILD BIKES from the ground up, they will likely know how to jet and tune properly.
One item that is always left out of the jet kits is a pilot jet upgrade.  It is a good idea to ask specifically for that to be included with the jetting/tuning.  The pilot jet may or may not need to be changed but this is the only way to eliminate the backfiring and provide a smooth and responsive transition from the low to mid range.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/05/07 at 00:33:19

If you can possibly locate a shop & develop a personal relationship with the owner or manager before you even consider dropping your bike off, that couldnt be a bad thing.If you allow them to understand the reason you want them to do it is because you dont have time to do it yourself, a creepy, savvy type may take advantage of you paid for,
When I was trying to get a Suzuki shop to do a couple of 5 minute things they told me it would be 3 weeks before they could look at it, all the while they stood around with their thumbs up their bums. They coulda looked at it in less time than it took to blow me off. Did I meantion I dont go there for anything if I can avoid it? There is a nice shop( WAAAy across town) the owner is proud of the mechanics & knows how to make the customers happy. He runsa successful business satisfying people, not ripping them off. Maybe you can find a place like that..

IP Logged
isabel
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Brooklyn, New York
Reply #4 - 08/22/07 at 14:15:22

hey Johny
I was wondering if you got an answer to your inquiry..
i am looking to do the same thing as you.. no hassles, no complicated welding, bending etc..etc..
just slip on.. and take it in for rejetting...
did you finally find a slip on muffler??
i need to make some noise going down the street.. its bad enough they hardly see me , i need them to at least hear me!!
Grin
Izz

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #5 - 08/22/07 at 16:15:07

Hi-anyone try an emgo reverse cone muffler yet?  Curious to find out how loud it is.  Easy slip on mods to the savage are few...good luck and please keep us posted.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/22/07 at 16:44:34

You situation makes a Supertrapp sound reasonable to me. Since they are tuneable. If the shop just almost gets the tuning right, you can finish it by adding or removing disks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #7 - 08/22/07 at 17:14:03

Supertrapp is very easy to fit as well

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 08/22/07 at 19:20:04

isabel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
hey Johny
I was wondering if you got an answer to your inquiry..
i am looking to do the same thing as you.. no hassles, no complicated welding, bending etc..etc..
just slip on.. and take it in for rejetting...
did you finally find a slip on muffler??
i need to make some noise going down the street.. its bad enough they hardly see me , i need them to at least hear me!!
Grin
Izz

His question was a very pointed one, as were the answers - is yours the same question? - want the performance but intend to have a shop do it - so no DIY?

IP Logged
horseshoe_george
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Otisfield, ME
Reply #9 - 08/23/07 at 03:11:31

I'd skip the dealer. I was at the dealer picking up a gasket for the jardine install and they wondered why I needed it. When I explained that I had rejetted, done the white spacer, K&N, Fork Brace and was now intalling a jardine slip on they scratched their heads.  Seems nobody who has purchased a savage from them over the years has upgraded anything. They just sell em a new bike after they have had the savage for about a year.

'06, TKAT fork brace, 1/3 spacer,155 main/55 pilot, K@N filter, Jardine, NGK irridium plug, Phillips MotoVision +40 orange hue bulb, windscreen, Hagon Shocks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/24/07 at 00:04:35

Finding a shop takes more than just walking thru a door & teling them what ya want done. It may be some little shop on the outskirts of town, looking like a junk yard. Wherever the owner cares about the customer & either IS the mechanic or has a mechanic who can & will do the work right, that's the shop to use. Just having a Suzuki dealership doesnt make the place good for the owner. As far as I am concerned, Suzuki delaerships have to overcome a handicap. I get the feeling they might treat me better if I had bought a more expensive bike. They don't know or care, as far as I can tell, about the peoiple who like the 650 or about the bike either. Walk into bike shops till you find a place that feels comfortable, not like you are standing in waist deep water with Pirahna all around.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:15:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Aftermarket muffler/exhaust options?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.