Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Timing chain - Why? (Read 9 times)
Gnu
Ex Member

Timing chain - Why?
05/02/07 at 22:49:14

Howdy.  I've read many, many messages about how the timing chain in the Savage seems to be the weak link in the engine (at least from what ive read, people generally dont seem to have many problems with anything else on this engine), but I can't figure out why the timing chain would need replacing so often.  10k miles seems to be the time that most people are talking about replacing it, but for a chain that's constantly in oil, and in a relatively clean environment, isn't that a bit excessive?  Does anybody have any theories about what causes so much chain strech?  Or any ideas for how to prolong the life of the chain? (I see the mods that people have made to the tensioner, though I am kind of concerned about wear to the cogs in that kind of set-up)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Timing chain - Why?
Reply #1 - 05/03/07 at 00:15:40

Read through the cam chain library in the tech section.

But in short, at least in my case after 20k miles the chain stretched only .01".  Yet the tensioner was ready to fall out.  22mm projection of the plunger.

The gears are pretty hard, they don't wear.

The guides are coated in plastic, yet when replaced don't pull the tensioner all the way in.

The best we've seen with new chain, new guides and new tensioner is 7/16" or 11mm projection.  No one here has seen (or is likely to see) a brand new one.  So we can't compare.  But I think 11mm may be the way it comes from the factory.  For those that have to replace it early, it may be worse.

We have mixted new and old parts without much inprovement.  This is from memmory so don't shoot me, it's late.  Depending on what's replaced of course.  Best effect will be seen if you replace the parts that are worn.  (any body got a dead horse?)

Like many manufactures, I think zuki set this one up to require maintenance every 5K miles.  If you pop the clutch cover with that frequency, you'll catch it time easily.  Or if you take it to the stealer, it'll give them a chance to bend you over.

So IMHO, the major flaw is the fact that the tensioner will come apart and cause a piston to eat a couple of valves.  If it could do it's thing, and stop before it fell out.  Then the bike would tell us when to get in there and fix it without throwing us over the handlebars.

'nough said   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Gnu
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/03/07 at 08:04:23

Interesting.  If i'm feeling brave, i'll pop the cover off mine and take some pictures when I do my first oil change.  I only have 40 miles on mine, so it would provide a nice basis for comparison.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/03/07 at 08:18:36

That would be great! If you could make a very careful measurement of the tensioner plunger as it extends from the housing, that would be very telling. The measurement is done from the face of the tensioner body to the tapered section of the tensioner"rod" that has the rear guide bolted on it. Like the guy at the gas station said" YOu Caaan't missit!" Digital callipers are cheap & very useful in the garage when messing with things.. Shouldnt pay over $20.00 for a decent set.

IP Logged
Gnu
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/03/07 at 08:24:25

Cool, i'll go pick up a set when I go to the tool shop to buy a bike jack and new torque wrench (i havn't needed to torque wrench in years, so the one ive got has basically turned to rust from neglect).  If I do it right, I should be able to buy all the basic tools I need for about the same cost as the 600 mile service.

IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/03/07 at 09:54:43

I bought a digital caliper from Harbor Freight for $8.99 , saw it in the flyer I get from them every month, sent my wife to pick it up, and she came home with the dial indicator type, which was more expensive, BUT, I love my wife, and now have 2 nifty calipers to play with   Grin

IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #6 - 05/03/07 at 18:21:09

The Dealers make money with sales and with repairs! Everything is made to break so you A. Pay for repairs or B. Buy a new one.  Hey, it's a business after all! Unfortunately the Savage has that built into the Timing chain :'(
  Q What is a tall tale sign that the Timing Chain skipped? I was riding today and all of a sudden I heard aloud bang not the exhuast but a metallic bang. not cool. I pulled over and inspected my bike for a missing bolt or something, nada then i figured hey what the hell and started it back up and drove home it ran fine but the speedo was not working as it should. Seemed alittle fast if you ask me and stuck alittle at slow speeds. probably not good.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/03/07 at 20:42:12

I wonder if something didnt get away inside the right side & smack the speedo drive? Could it be the tensioner popped out & junk got tossed around in there? If so, you daggumed lucky to get it home. Whatever happened, I would not be able to fire mine up till I had a look in there.. Good luck, hope its quick, cheap & easy..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 05/03/07 at 22:06:33

I took a look and the chain and guides the other day and tried to get the chain to slip.  I couldn't do it.  And unless the chain caught just right and forced it way to slip a cog, the guides will hold it in alignment.  The ssm does say to keep the chain taught or it will kink.  And if it did bye bye guides.

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #9 - 05/03/07 at 22:37:05

To the best of my memory there wasn't any Savages that sufferred from cam chain concerns on the old German site of Bert's. Seems like there was one high mileage commuter in San Diego that had the problem at 97 K miles, other than that I cannot remember the problem on the other forum. I think the cam chain problem is either multiple vendors and poor quality control on their part or are you ready for this, we are using the oils that have had the additives taken out that could kill the CAT (Cataylic converter) on a motor vehicle (if the engine were to start burning oil) that kept the chains alive. I do have an article in a publication called "The Professional Technician" that discussed the flat bottom (non roller) lifter problems they had in pushrod engines when the oil companies reduced and changed some of the oil additives to meet the concerns of the USEPA. Maybe we need to look back at what we are using and see if there is a pattern failure there. My tensioner housing was worn very badly out of round when I took it out and was almost ready to fall apart. It did when I moved it slightly. I put in a new chain, the guide that can be replaced w/o pulling the head, new tensioner and crank gear as I broke it with the air wrench. That was before all the measuring discussion so I don't have any measurements. I've seen worn guides on Honda singles and my Kawasaki MULE engine and if the Savage guide was worn it didn't groove like the others do. Mine was still flat but I ordered the parts before I had it that far apart so put it in. Remember that chains do not stretch, they have wear occur in the plates and pins that is referred to as stretch. Previous discussion on oil additives were concerned about the posibility of wet clutch problems and the solution there was to use oil that was not only rated for gas engines (SJ), but diesel engines before 2007 (CD or whatever) and even the Japanese rating suggested by suzuki motors. Any thoughts on that, maybe there is a reasonable reason for using motorcycle specific oil.  It would be less expensive than the parts (and in some cases labor) in the long run, to say nothing of the lost riding time.  Also why did the few engines "explode' around the balancer shaft, was that the tensioner spring dropping down in the gears? Hope you can sleep tonight mulling this over, Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:20:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Timing chain - Why?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.