Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rainy Day, but a Good Day (Read 4 times)
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Rainy Day, but a Good Day
05/03/07 at 18:31:57

Well, I now have a spare washer for the mainjet in my possession.  Turns out my bike does have one.

I pulled the jet this morning thinking I'd go get a washer and maybe a few different sized jets to try to take care of my rich condition.  Local indy shop didn't have one, but they DID have some nifty plugs for my vacuum lines.  

Zuki had one in a toolbox.  Got it for free!   Local dealership is nice, but this is Arkansas.  Most folks are nice.

Got home, excited about putting the washer in and having things go magically away.  Threw the washer on the jet, popped it in....realized something was wrong.  

Got my inspection mirror and flashy light out and spotted my "missing" washer stuck in place.  But icky.  

I had assumed, since the washer didn't fall out when I pulled the jet, that it was absent.  

Turns out, and this is just conjecture on my part, that a large hunk of "Black Goo" was on the washer and occluding the mouth of the jet.  

Cleaned it up, PROPERLY plugged unnecessary vacuum lines(full bowl that I dumped this morning and the fuel had been left off?  Curiouser and curiouser.),  dropped my float another 3mm and took it for a ride.

Reports as follows.

My cherry bomb no longer sounds like I'm on the bleeding edge of chopperdom.  CURSES!!

Response is different through RPM range.  Flat spot on acceleration GONE!   Also thanks to nifty backpressure addition Mr. Vroom cued me to.  

Idles and runs WAAAAY smoother.

So, misadjusted float + invisible junk (which appears to be, wait for it......old fuel line) + one hour wasted getting an extra part which will never fail but I now feel I have to keep JUST IN CASE = 2 Month Anniversary of me and my 1986 LS650 Savage.  

First bike, too.  Bought ol' Glenn for 300 bux from an old friend, read everything available on this site and a buncha BS out of a Clymer's manual which, no joke, is falling apart and smells like gas after 60 days of me thumbing through it and fiddling.  

I've been riding the bike for a few weeks now, dealing with the richness, etc....but now I feel like it's all right.  I've put 700 miles on it and burned through about 10 spark plugs, but...loved it.  

Bruised my ribs locking the front brake up in my friend's front yard practicing.  Have a calcium deposit from a severely bruised ankle from the same incident.  Solution is good boots and the MSF course.  

I'm 6'3 and everyone complains about being uncomfortable but I'm having too much f-ing fun to care if my @ss is numb.  Well...that and the seat lift and re-upholstering.

Thanks EVERYONE.  Bobo for the petc0ck, vroom for the ratspiration, Reelthing for random tidbits, Greg for posting 20 times in a row to answer questions from three pages of conversations he missed, and the rest of you people....

http://www.bikepics.com/members/uber/86savages40/

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Rainy Day, but a Good Day
Reply #1 - 05/03/07 at 18:41:19

Too fn cool.  love the ammo boxes.   8)
How did you mount them?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #2 - 05/03/07 at 18:52:19

Only one ammo box.  .30 Cal, cost $7.50.  

Loosened the sissy bar rails(name?) enough to slip Squared c-clamps behind and turn them.   Put the C-clamp washer on and bolted it tight against the rail.  Then put in about 1 1/2" of rubber spacing, washer, and nut.  

Put the ammo box where I wanted it, and pushed and wiggled.   Drilled holes on pushed and wiggled spots.  Rubber washer, C-clamp washer, and nut on inside of ammo box.

Using rubber washers inside and out, the box is still waterproof so I have a spot to carry, not only tools, but my cell phone and smokes if it rains.

I work at a furniture store, so rubber washers are everywhere.  They're used on metal headboards.

I used the feet from double reclining sofas to make the spacers for my seat, which is covered in Barcalounger leather.

I'll get some pix of the box mount sometime soon.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/03/07 at 22:15:55

I have a 2 1/2 gal gerry can that I had taken a fancy mounting.  With the ammo box on the other side it would be just right.  I have a small ammo box but I think I'll look for one the same size.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:13:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rainy Day, but a Good Day

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.