Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
miles and miles and...... (Read 26 times)
Phelonius
Ex Member

Re: miles and miles and......
Reply #15 - 05/05/07 at 06:57:55

Other than the forward controls and cruiser seat, neither of which I care much for, the savage is a no frills generic motorcycle. Given proper care, I believe it is capable of a lot of trouble free miles.
It is not meant to be reved to warp speed RPMs, It is not sucessfull as a drag racer or puka road racer.
It is inexpensive because it is none of these things. That is also why I chose it.
I am currently using it to carry a sidecar for ordinary tripping and gofer duties. It seems to do well at these.
If I later on want more power, it will probably not be to hard to draw a little more out of it since it is so mildly tuned as is.
If you are looking for ego enhancement, or depend upon the opinions of people you don't even know to make you feel good about yourself, buy a Harley. They make very fine large pieces of jewelry you can wear on your butt to show how much of your individualism you are willing to give up to fit in to someone elses idea of what is best.
Decide what kind of riding you want to do and buy accordingly.
My other mount is a DR650SE. It is noticably more powerful and a lot more nimble and I enjoy riding it greatly, especially if I am in a hurry.
The S-40 is a completely different animal designed to give the most smiles per gallon for a modest price. Since it is inexpensive, You have more cash left for mods to personalize it to your own taste. Just be aware that no matter what you do, It will never be a Harley, never whip a canyon racer, and never leave a 50 yard smoking strip of wasted rubber.
If you can live without those fantasies, you can get the full enjoyment from your ride.
After 43 motorcycles and 42 years of licensed motorcycling, having owned 6 Harleys and 3 BMWs 2Motoguzzi 1100s, and a host of others, why would I pick the humble savage?
Because I like it, and I did not choose it to meet someone elses criteria of what is best for me.
I do not choose a motorcycle so as to meet someone elses approval.  The money I saved allows me to make a lot of changes like the sidecar and the Harley saddle I put on the bike. BTW, the saddle is one thing that Harley does very well.
With the good MPG that the savage is capable of I can afford to ride more often than with a more wastefull machine. Expensive tickets are handed out on many roads at speeds above 55MPH anyway so why do I need 1800cc of fuel burning status symbol?
Nuff said, I like it, that's why.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #16 - 05/05/07 at 11:51:46

I don't think our Savages will "die" -- they will just get to the right place for the next set of modifications.  

We do get excellent prior warnings of the various "death points" you know -- I'd be a slacker in extreme to get caught by the cam tensioner coming apart on me after all this good info (15,000 miles, she's going apart for the latest & greatest fix as identified at that point in time).

By the time mine finally gets enough miles to get rickety I fully expect to have participated in the third super piston group buy (and I do mean the really big one that fits the nikasil coated aluminum bore that you get when you take the steel liner sleeve completely outta there).  If my crank is getting sad by then, why then I'll get me a Stroker-2 kit with the improved oversized bearings.

I'll mate her up with the Lancer-3 cam, the new one that goes along with the new outside adjustable Lightningstrike ignition timing module and a set of the new synthetic Sliptrol high performance clutch plates.  

And then I'll go thump me some more ..... 950 ccs worth of high rev'n tire smoking thump.

Who knows where it will end?  

My Savage will likely outlast me.  Outperform me, too.

<grin>

Oldfeller

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #17 - 05/05/07 at 12:52:43

I agree with Philonius 100%.  Like I always say about the S40.....Love it as is for what it is.  I have 5000 miles on my 06 S40 with many of the miles at between 65 an 70, but it is happiest at between 50 and 60. With the price od gas as it is now, I enjoy 55 to 63 MPG, depending on how I am driving.  Every mission I go on with the PGR, the HD riders are always impressed with the little bike with "half an engine".  Some of them used to be Savage riders and know what the S40 is capable completely stock, so they just nod their heads in favor.
Always ride safe within your limitations Smiley 8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:39:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › miles and miles and......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.