Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Thanks from Greg_650
04/26/07 at 05:16:50

Quote from Greg_650 in reference to Chain coversion for the Savage/S40 topic in Tech Ref forum:

Quote:
Well. I finally got to order my sprockets from the Motorcycle Superstore today....

On Hutch's recommendations, I ordered the 45/17 combo because of my wish for more mountainous gearing and load carrying.  So when my order arrives with the 120 links of 530 chain, I'll be running 2.65 rather than the stock 2.956.

For me this is full circle.  After years of shaft drive and belt, I'm now going back to good ol' chain once again.  Like the early days and riding dirt bikes.  I can't wait for the oil spin off and all that good stuff once again.  It's gonna be great.

Anyway, my thanks to Hutch, tbalam and others who did all the research on this modification.  Chain conversions have been discussed for years in Savage forums, and now it is real...

Thanks Dudes!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
T140V
Ex Member

Re: Thanks
Reply #1 - 04/26/07 at 07:12:40

If you are using an O-ring / X-ring chain the grease inside the links won't be slinging off at all. Lubricate it with products like Chain wax which sticks really well to the chain and you won't have a problem at all. My friend has over 20,000 miles on his Triumph and has never changed the chain or sprocket's. I have 8,000 on mine and it still looks brand new. You will need to clean it with kerosene every time you spray it down.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Thanks from Greg_650
Reply #2 - 04/26/07 at 21:47:23

I ordered the 45/17 combo myself, as per Hutch's recommendations for load carrying and mountainous riding.  That is a 2.65 ratio compared to 2.96 stock.  I also, ordered my sprockets from the Motorcycle Superstore.

Thanks to Hutch and Tbalam for their work.  Well done.

Ride safe
Greg

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 05/01/07 at 22:41:36

The Motorcycle Superstore is located in Oregon, so when I finally scraped the pennies together, it only took 1 day for my sprockets and chain to get here.  Free shipping too.

The 45 and the 17 both fit perfectly.  Need a washer under the nuts on the rear sprocket bolts to tighten properly, but all is good.  Gotta get some more Loctite too Smiley

I think that I'm gonna like this chain conversion.  More notes and photos as I start getting it together.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 05/02/07 at 10:09:56

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/02/07 at 13:26:57

I understand the rationale behind going to chain & sprokets & know in ancient times bikes ran with belt drive but with Harleys going to belt drive doesn't it seem you guys going to chains/sprockets a little retro? just yanking your chain, greg! Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 05/02/07 at 14:08:00

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I understand the rationale behind going to chain & sprokets & know in ancient times bikes ran with belt drive but with Harleys going to belt drive doesn't it seem you guys going to chains/sprockets a little retro? just yanking your chain, greg! Grin

Didn't you know that what goes around, comes around?

For sure, my riding past time has finally gone full circle.

You jerk my chain, and your hands will get dirty Tongue

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/02/07 at 16:40:18

if I jerk someone's chain I always wear gloves greg so I keep my hands clean! Tongue back at ya, greg! george

(seriously - would like to hear more about how the chain works for you down the road. not thinking of going with anything but the belt but am curious of the results. cheers, george)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 05/02/07 at 21:26:39

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
if I jerk someone's chain I always wear gloves greg so I keep my hands clean! Tongue back at ya, greg! george

(seriously - would like to hear more about how the chain works for you down the road. not thinking of going with anything but the belt but am curious of the results. cheers, george)

Just so long as your gloves aren't latex.  I'm allergic.

Back at ya Tongue

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/03/07 at 07:09:16

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 19:53:34 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home