Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cam break in,, need to ride it NOW,, (Read 4 times)
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Cam break in,, need to ride it NOW,,
04/19/07 at 10:53:05

I really need to make about a 100 mile round trip, startin in an hour, Can I just go easy for the first 6  or 8 minutes? I have Idled it at higher RPM for a total of most likely a bit over 10 minutes, the instructions said to idle at 2000 RPM for about 15. I am sure I am over 10. But, it wasnt all at one time. Hadda shut it off & let it cool. Is this gonna be okay>? Anyone?

IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Re: Cam break in,, need to ride it NOW,,
Reply #1 - 04/19/07 at 11:33:48

If you have a fan, put it in front of the bike at its highest setting, it will keep it cooled for as long as you have to.  I do this when tuning the CBX, and it works great, the bike gets hotter sitting at a stop light than it does in the garage.

Don't cheap out on the break in period for the cam, it could cause premature wear.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/19/07 at 19:39:43

Well, I went & ran it for 2 more 4 minute runs before I left, that & the 1 long run & then 2 short runs yesterday, so I am over 20 minutes by a couple mnutes. I hope that's gonna be okay, cuz I already put over 100 miles on it today. IF it has to be 20 minutes all in one pass, it would be nice of them to make that point in the instructions. Since the part about running it at 200 ropm was not even in large print, I am jusr dang glad I saw it. If it needed the time to all be at one pass, the instructions needed to say so. Theres room on the page for minor details that determine the survival or failure of the cam,.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/19/07 at 23:42:39

Okay, I went & read that thing again, Only this time I was more rested. IT says, I paraphrase, Keep the idle up the first 15 or 20 minutes to make sure it is well oiled. I DID tjat, It doesnt say ya cant ride the thing, just says use a high idle to maintain lube while it gets seated in a bit. Doooh,, I gotta work on that SEEING what I am reading part.. How in the World did I ever get that its sposed to sit still? Didnt make sense then & sure doesnt now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:58:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam break in,, need to ride it NOW,,

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.