Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
aftermarket header pipes (Read 16 times)
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
aftermarket header pipes
04/17/07 at 19:06:11

I know that raask makes one, but anyone know if any other manufacturers make an aftermarket header for the savage?

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: aftermarket header pipes
Reply #1 - 04/17/07 at 20:06:56

Several have came up on ebay from time to time - I picked one up made by MAC in the late 80's new in the box - fair bit bigger single wall black coated.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/17/07 at 20:38:49

Sounds like real bizzniss there.. Will the Trapp fit on it or would it need a different muffler?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 04/17/07 at 22:36:34

With some engneering - measures ~-1 7/8" inside diameter  it came with a fine megaphone style with a foot long removeable baffle - should take a picture of it - going to put it to use one of these days with a head port, piston(hopefully), cam shaft, and amal carb.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 04/18/07 at 04:06:13

Wow, the 1 7/8" pipe is a big'n.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 04/18/07 at 07:20:48

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Several have came up on ebay from time to time - I picked one up made by MAC in the late 80's new in the box - fair bit bigger single wall black coated.

I'd love to have one of those.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/18/07 at 08:16:49

Yep,, black sounds Good to me, 1&7/8ths sounds Great,,Crimineee, is it possible for it to be too big? I know nothing about exhaust theory, except it's gotta go somewhere & easy flow is< as well as I understand it, the idea. If it gets Too easy, is there a price to pay? Of course, adjusting baffles on a Trapp would handle that I guess..

Maybe what I need is a single walled Raask,,tokeep it easy to work with & simple.  

REEL>> Is there any issue created by such a large diameter header? Would a Supertrapp be okay on it? I know I am not about to run spend this $$ any time soon, because of the piston deal, but I woulkd like to be rteady if a deal comes up. Anyone with cautionary ideas on this? Upside?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 04/18/07 at 09:10:24

I'm still planning to take a stock header, have a SE muffler welded to it, and then get the whole dang thing coated with ceramic (probably satin black).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 04/18/07 at 11:39:28

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
REEL>> Is there any issue created by such a large diameter header? Would a Supertrapp be okay on it? I know I am not about to run spend this $$ any time soon, because of the piston deal, but I woulkd like to be rteady if a deal comes up. Anyone with cautionary ideas on this? Upside?

Yes you can have to big of an exhaust port - what is suppose to happen with the cam overlap is the piston gives the exhaust a push thus it has a running start this setups a neg pressure in the cylinder and the intakes starts to open a bit before the exhausts close - if you have too big of an exhaust port it will go back into the cylinder - this is called reversion - a number of companies make an anti-reversion cone - it's looks like a metal doughnut that goes in the pipe at the head - the head of the savage has this built into the exhaust port - so there is certainly a danger of porting the exhaust to far. Too big a pipe maybe but most of the flow is controled at port/cone. Fair quick read below

http://www.jpcycles.com/Tech/Articles/needtorejet.aspx

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #9 - 04/19/07 at 02:06:04

I had these two pipes custom made, the KLX one, top is made by sand pack heating and bending, the bottom on is made using pre formed bends, cutting and welding.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/19/07 at 11:01:22

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Yes you can have to big of an exhaust port - what is suppose to happen with the cam overlap is the piston  but most of the flow is controled at port/cone. Fair quick read below

http://www.jpcycles.com/Tech/Articles/needtorejet.aspx

Uh Huhh, I read it & now I know what to do. I am gonna need someone to just TELL me what pipe will be appropriate for the cam, piston,displacement & rpm range. Uh Huhh, I am just that smart..

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 04/19/07 at 11:37:29

I kept reading stuff here there and everywhere, and after going back and forth several times I finally settled on a 1.75" OD pipe to use for the header.  It seemed to be the best compromise, everything considered.

I have thought of making another one using a stepped design and starting with a 1.5" ID and ending with a 1.75"ID before going into a 2.5-3.0"OD muffler.  But with all the stuff happening these past months I have just not had the time.  I would be fun though.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 04/20/07 at 21:22:13

Now that's getting close to a two stoke expansion chamber with a bounce back if you put a cone on the end of that 3" pipe - those really do semi supercharge a 2 stroke as they pull the intake charge out the exhaust and after the intake port is cover by the piston the bounce back stuffs it all back in - only works for a narrow rpm range but boy can you ever feel it - bout doubles the HP all of a sudden.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:13:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › aftermarket header pipes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.