Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Metzeler ME 880 help... quick please... (Read 22 times)
praetorian
Ex Member

Metzeler ME 880 help... quick please...
04/18/07 at 14:25:45

My Savage has Metzeler ME880 Marathon tires on it.  I picked up a screw in the rear today.  I have a ride on Saturday and no way to get it to a cycle shop to get it fixed.  

Anyone know if the Metzeler ME880 Marathon is a tubed or tubeless tire?  How can I tell from the tire itself?  I haven't seen anything one way fr the other on the net anywhere.  I need an answer quicik so I can get to the autoparts store before it closes.

Someone HELP please.....

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Re: Metzeler ME 880 help... quick please...
Reply #1 - 04/18/07 at 14:34:26

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 19:56:43 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #2 - 04/18/07 at 14:45:12

You have tubes !

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 04/18/07 at 14:56:45

It's not the tire that determines the tube.  It is the wheel.

As Slavy said, you've got tubes...

...which actually isn't gonna keep you from riding if you get a new tube and know how to replace it.

IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/18/07 at 17:09:03

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
It's not the tire that determines the tube.  It is the wheel.

As Slavy said, you've got tubes...

...which actually isn't gonna keep you from riding if you get a new tube and know how to replace it.

Yeah... I realized this when I plugged the tire andfilled it with air.... rode to the end of the block and back and the tire was flat again.  Air is leaking out of the base of the valve stem like crazy past the nut.

Herein lies the problem....

My local Suzuki dealer takes 1-2 weeks to get a part in when it is ordered.  Is this something that I would have to get a tube made specifically for the Savage, or are they all the same for the same size wheel?

I have never done it, but think I understand the basic ideas.  Using tire irons to pry the tire over the lip of the rim all the way around then working the tube out.

Can the hole in the existing tube be repaired, or do I HAVE to get a new tube?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 04/18/07 at 17:15:54

your dealer should have  tubes in stock..if not go to(call) any motorcycle shop for the tube you need...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/18/07 at 17:30:14

I have 880's on my BMW....they are tubeless.

BUT !!!...all spoked wheeled bikes should be tubed.

IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/18/07 at 17:31:19

...and you can patch the tube, just be careful installing, and dont pinch it !

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/18/07 at 17:37:29

for the sake of a cost of a tube (about $10-15) I would not trust my life, limb or bike to a patched tube. Smiley

also as you say it is leaking out of the place where  the valve is it may be the valve has partly come away from the tube - could not patch it even if you wanted to.

when you use irons to get tire back on wheel with new tube in it watch out you don't pinch the tube between an iron & the rim - easy to do.

also when you have fixed it I always nip up (not too tight, just right) the "ring" around the valve that butts up to the rim with a pair of needlenose pliers - saves the tube creeping & tearing the valve out of the tube.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #9 - 04/18/07 at 17:59:07

Quote:
all spoked wheeled bikes should be tubed.

Except for BMW which has spoked wheels with tubeless tires...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/18/07 at 19:11:40

Yeah... I guess I was just used to my Broth-in-laws BMW R1200GS which has spoked wheels but is tubeless.  That and the fact that shortly after starting this thread, I saw on the tire itself where it says "tubeless" and I assumed (there is that evil word again) that one of the previous owners had had the spokes sealed so that he could put the "tubeless" tire on.  It never even dawned on me that there would be a tubeless tire with a tube inside it.

Well I just got the rear wheel off the bike with a HUGE amount of help from my wife (thank you Sweetheart) and I am calling it a night.  When I get off work tomorrow, I am going straight to the bike shop to check on a tube for this thing.

Here is a question.... are the tire irons for motorcycle wheels any different that for cars?  Do I have to buy a set that are specific, or can I just go to Advance Auto and get a set.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/18/07 at 19:43:37

I got a set of 8" irons at the Yamaha shop, but an independent has some 15 " which I will get before I EVER try that again. Also, warm the tire up, set it in the sun in a trash sack or anything to get it softer. When ya get the tube in, put enuff air in it so its round & resists pinches, but not so tight it cant scoot back outta the way of the tire iron.
I would only patch a tube on a motorcycle if I couldnt get a tube, PLaying with an "Instaflat" at speed can get ya hurt in a forever way. I dont remember if I needed the 2 chunks of 4X4 on the rear wheel or if that was just on fron, whete the brake got in my way. Also, if ya see the irons marking the rims, a bit of duct tape will protect them. Dont forget a spray bottle with soapy water, to lube the rim & get the tire on easier. Make sure you pay CLOSE attention to the lines around the tire whe it seats, so you know ya got it seated the same all the way around.

Anything I left out folks?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 04/18/07 at 19:47:58

Anything I left out folks? [/quote]
its a B....  worth the $20 the dealer you buy the tube from to install...
BTW i got tubes in my 880s dont trust those rim liners to hold air   Roll Eyes

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 04/18/07 at 19:54:09

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:

Anything I left out folks? its a B....  worth the $20 the dealer you buy the tube from to install...
BTW i got tubes in my 880s dont trust those rim liners to hold air   Roll Eyes

I'll 2nd the notion - the dealer likely has a machine that will whip that baby together in a heart beat

guzzi has some tubeless spoked wheels as well - the spokes are outside of the bead - but dang those wheels are high - >grand per each

IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #14 - 04/18/07 at 20:08:40

I'll 3rd that. Call the dealer to make sure they have the size you need. Take the wheel down and have them do the install and balance for $20 - $25  labor + price of tube, usually while you wait.  Go home and put everthing back together. Ride on Saturday.  Smiley  Knowing that everthing is done right Grin.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:19:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Metzeler ME 880 help... quick please...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.