Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Metzeler ME 880 help... quick please... (Read 22 times)
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Metzeler ME 880 help... quick please...
Reply #30 - 04/20/07 at 18:15:53

Max says that a different tube would require the tire/wheel assembly to be rebalanced. A patch on a tire/tube usually doesn't, but the relationship between the rim, tire and tube must be kept as it was the last time the tire was balanced. You must mark the tire, usually at the valve stem, make sure you do not invert the tube on reassembly (flip it over) and put all the index marks in alignment. FWIW, the yellow (usually) circle if indexed to the valve stem is the correct way to install the tire. The Maxxis Wide WW that I just installed barely needed 1/4 ounce on the front tire/wheel assembly when I mounted it. I didn't see the circle under the blue shipping protection coating on the rear one and had to use alot more weight there. A purist would have deflated the tire and shifted it to the correct spot. On a tubless unit I would have done, with the tube in you have to go past where you want to end up and then come back to it. As my tire work machine doesn't have an antirotation device in it. Aligning the circle is a difficult exercise after the fact and I just added the lead to make it balanced.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 04/20/07 at 18:37:28

Tell Max I said PHHHTTT! lol,,

Thanks Max, now I know to go ahead & spend theose few bucks. Beats having a vibe & having to pull it & start all over, over being too cheap to spend 4bucks..

Is that Maxxiss the same as the Promaxx street as far as traction is concerned? I am gonna be lookin for a tire that stick a bit better now that the thing climbs out of corners so vigorously & the forks dont flex. I expect IT( maybe not me) will be able to hawww BUTT coming out of some of these corners & I did one at 50 not long ago & felt both ends slip sideways a couple inches on exit. Whats stickier? Can we FIND sport tires for these rim sizes? Is that what is needed?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #32 - 04/20/07 at 18:46:06

Not sure about the sticky of the MAXXIS WWW. I did work hard onthe first tank of gas weaving about as much as I thought I could explain to an LEO (our County mounted officers are busy troopers this week 'scootin' and writing folks up) in my lane and sometime both to scrub off the tire mold release stuff, the tread was pretty shiny when new. I still would like to run another couple tanks of gas through before I see if I can drag the new floorboards. Get the winter kinks out and relax more. Also it is chilly so I'm tensed up some from that. Max

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #33 - 04/20/07 at 19:57:46

how do you balance ?level? how does the dealer ? spin i hope....patch or no re balance is better every time the tire is off the rim.....6>10 k on the car & truck i have rotate AND balance done and they got 4 skids on the road................pm keeps my suzis , cagers, trailer,thumperclones tires in the best,safest,long service, condition......
NTL  $26 plus tube is cheap specially in these $3 a gal
gas,$65 hr shop rate days...so for .5 hour thats $32.50
who out there (with balance) can do the same in less than 1/2 hour??......take me that long to get a cold one , get the carriage house open,etc ,etc       lol     Grin

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #34 - 04/20/07 at 20:20:52

I bought a HANDY Brand balancer stand at the Seattle International Cycleshow years ago. Since them I've seen advertised the axle shaft with cones and bearings that can sit on notches cut in the end of upright 2x4's or even chair seats if they are the same height. Weights were the biggest hassle, finally got some from one of the mail order catalog places, that may be where the least expensive balancer is. It is not a quick and accurate as a spin balancer, but they start at about $1500 last time I checked.  A spin balancer will do both static = weight all directions from the center and dynamic = force inner and outer side. I just split the weight needed as the rims are pretty narrow.  I'd like to find a source for the split weights that go on the spokes rather than the stick on flat ones. Even read an article the other day and they are moving away from lead weights for cars and trucks because the get knocked off and break down when run over putting lead dust in the air. Given the density of traffic in LA I can see how if they sampled the air they would find almost all chemicals and metals in some amount. Max

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #35 - 04/21/07 at 03:00:23

One note on tire/wheel balancing, ceramic beads work great in M/C tires.  On all my tubeless tires, I've pulled all the lead weights and gone to the round Airsoft bb's inside the tire.  3-4 ounces per tire, and I've never had to rebalance.  In addition, two tires that I've had to rebalance continually, have finally straightened out with the bb's inside the tire.  This IS the most effecient/effective way to maintain a balanced tire.  

Note:  whatever material you use, it has to be tough enough to maintain its shape for 100000 miles, must be almost perfectly round, cannot rust or corrode because of moisture, it also can't "clump", and it needs to be relatively dense so enough weight can roll to the right spot to achieve dynamic balancing.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 04/21/07 at 03:28:00

Wow Barry, If someone had just asked me what i Thot of that idea & how it would work I would have said it would Unballance a tire. Some things I am able to get a mental picture of "How it works" & that one just drew squiggly lines all over my mental blackboard.I guess I dont have to worry how it will work for me, since the 2 bikes we have are running tubes.Tho, shipping the wheel off for sealing & running tubeless would sure be nice, I have other things I want worse than tires I can plug. Gotta have a Piston on the shelf next..OHH, how did you ever come to try that B-B trick? Who did it first? Is he now called B-B King? ( sorry, I inly slept an hour & 1/2 & unfunny things LOOK funny)

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #37 - 04/21/07 at 03:59:37

Justin-o, here's a company that makes ceramic beads smaller than a valve stem so you can put them in a tubed tire www.innovativebalancing.com.  You'll also see a brief "technical" description of how the concept works.

Actually, about 40 years ago, truckers were putting actual bb's in their tires and got GREAT short term results.  The problem was the bb's would rust into a gooey, clump of rust and create a real mess inside the tire and UNBALANCE the tires.  For the concept to work, the item has to roll freely to the "low" or "light" spot in the tire.  BTW, this technique won't work with rigid (hard-tail) tires/wheels.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #38 - 04/21/07 at 04:01:18

On a similar note, a fluid engine (crank) balancer works by the same principle...think Fluidamper...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 04/21/07 at 04:08:22

Thanks, I'll look at that stuff, tho I have quite a few of the "stick on" lead weights for the rear. The front has a Biggo hunk O lead wrapped around a spoke, & when I put the new tire on, it was all good, It atopped at different places when I spun it & didnt back up. I wonder what kind of welt a ceramic B-B would bring up thru a spitwad shootin tube?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:15:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Metzeler ME 880 help... quick please...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.