Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Metzeler ME 880 help... quick please... (Read 22 times)
praetorian
Ex Member

Re: Metzeler ME 880 help... quick please...
Reply #15 - 04/19/07 at 03:27:34

I would LOVE to do it myself, just because I like to do everything to the bikes myself, but I am starting to get into a time crunch.  I have the wheel loaded in the back of the Magnum ready to ride to work with me.  I am going to call some of the local shops and see what they have and if they can do it while I wait tonight.  I would REALLY like to get the sheel back on after work tonight so I can relax an Friday night with, as my 4 year old son says, a "mommy & daddy drink"   Roll Eyes    Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 04/19/07 at 06:26:37

I wanted to do the tires myself, just because. I agree with the guys who say"Spend a few Bucks & have it done." cuz, no kidding, you could do about anything to earn the $$ you spend on the tire swap & come out ahead. The time & effort to save that measely bit oc $$ is a poor trade.Very poor,, I wont be doing it again unless I have no option. Okay, I KNEW I left something out.. that was it'

IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 04/19/07 at 06:27:54

You can do it yourself, but as recommended, better off with a new tube.

errrr, the BMW has alloy wheels, as does the CBX...both tubeless....

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 04/19/07 at 10:00:29

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Except for BMW which has spoked wheels with tubeless tires...

Beamer trivia...

BMWs with spoked wheels AND tubeless tires have external spokes on the rim.  You can change a spoke with the inflated tire mounted on the bike.

IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 04/19/07 at 10:13:44

VERRRRRRRYYYYYYYY interesting there Greg !

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 04/19/07 at 11:22:24

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 04/19/07 at 14:55:47

Not all Beamers have or had them, with cast wheels being more common now they are more rare.  I think they are more preferred for off road anyway.  But the subject was tubeless tires on spoke wheels....

I saw one closeup once, but can't find a better picture....Rim mounted spokes

Okay, now back to the other subject....

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

tooRe: Metzeler ME 880 help... quick please...
Reply #22 - 04/19/07 at 17:13:45

I didn't want to say it before in case I get shouted down - but agree - I always take wheel/tire off bike & take it to dealer to have a new tire put on (always with a new tube - another recommenation I have). Not saying you'll need a new tire now but just for when yours wears out - fit a new tube too.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re:  tooRe: Metzeler ME 880 help... quick ple
Reply #23 - 04/19/07 at 20:42:12

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I didn't want to say it before in case I get shouted down - but agree - I always take wheel/tire off bike & take it to dealer to have a new tire put on (always with a new tube - another recommenation I have). Not saying you'll need a new tire now but just for when yours wears out - fit a new tube too.

George_Kathe;

Now, come on...You won't get shouted down for that.  Just, most folks post a need when they want to do it themselves.  You want for a dealer to do it...that might not be my style...but you have every right to take that route if you feel the need.  It's your right.

But if you ever get a wild hair...we're all here to tell ya how to get 'er done all by yerself.  I GOT PITURES TOO!

Tongue

PS - besides, he's kinda in an eminent need.  He's got a ride to do and tomorrow's Friday.  Slap a new tube in there and go....it was just a screw and he already stuck a plug in it anyway Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #24 - 04/19/07 at 21:05:27

praetorian wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Yeah... I realized this when I plugged the tire andfilled it with air.... rode to the end of the block and back and the tire was flat again.  Air is leaking out of the base of the valve stem like crazy past the nut.

Herein lies the problem....

My local Suzuki dealer takes 1-2 weeks to get a part in when it is ordered.  Is this something that I would have to get a tube made specifically for the Savage, or are they all the same for the same size wheel?

I have never done it, but think I understand the basic ideas.  Using tire irons to pry the tire over the lip of the rim all the way around then working the tube out.

Can the hole in the existing tube be repaired, or do I HAVE to get a new tube?

Times a wastin buddy.  Get good tire tools (cheap ones bend), a NEW tube, a patch kit (just in case), soapy water and drop the tire Friday night.  You can change it out.  Just take your time...I think someone has a topic on changing the tire somewhere.  Once you do it, you'll never need them again.

You don't need a dealer...if you want I'll even give you my cell number.

You can worry about the little screw hole after your ride.  That's the beauty of tubes.

Maybe these old photos can get you convinced.  If an old fart can do it... Smiley

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 04/19/07 at 21:08:16

done enough  putting in tubes to last a lifetime< Greg - too much of a pain for me now (the worst used to be putting tires back onto scooter wheels in the late 60s. the small wheel combined with a pretty hard sidewall on the tire made it real fun, even with tire irons  almost as long as my arm!) Smiley

IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 04/20/07 at 04:27:44

Well, I had to go and do it.  As much as it pained me, I had to take the wheel to a dealer last night to get the tube changed.  Last evening was the only time that I would have to get the tube changed and having never done it before, I didn't want there to be a glitch in something that would have kept me from completeing it last night.....that and my wife "asked" me to go to the dealer and have them do it because she didn't want there to be a chance that we couldn't do the poker run together tomorrow.

The dealer charged me $15  for the tube and $22.95 labor.  Then ther was the $4 for balancing and the $3 for putting the tire back on the wheel.  Man....they will add charges on wherever they can.  Why not just say the labor is 29.95 and that includes everything?  

Well I got the wheel home and it only took me about 15 minutes to get it back on the bike.  Only question I have is how much tension should the belt be under?  Should there be any play or slack in the belt or should it be quite tight?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 04/20/07 at 07:02:13

If he charged you $22.95 labor, why did he charge $4 for putting the tire on the wheel?  What a rip.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #28 - 04/20/07 at 07:53:25

As far as belt tension goes tight enough to just be able to twist the belt 90 degrees by hand at the lower mid-point ... I've been told the tension guide provided in the LS650's tool kit results in a "too tight" belt.
Is this accurate resident wrench-heads?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 04/20/07 at 13:27:00

I would have balked at the idea of ballancing it, unless there was a patch placed on the tire. The wheel/tire combo should have been ballanced when it was taken apart. If all he did was poke a tube in it, I fail to see how that could have unballanced it enough to matter. Any who know better, please tell me,

Perry, I was using the "Tool" & being a "Bigger Hammer" kinda guy, would tighten the belt to the "tighter" end of the scale. It is a good bit tighter there than at the 90 degree twist method. It also squeaked considerably more that way. As long as there isn't enough slack to allow the bike to snatch & rip at the belt then I think it's okay. Wouldnt want to roll forward & set slack between the pulleys & drop the hammer on it & snap the belt tight real hard. I want some kind of belt dressing, but silicone worries me. Something dry sounds good.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:24:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Metzeler ME 880 help... quick please...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.