Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Performance & MPG changed,, wuhhh? (Read 8 times)
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Performance & MPG changed,, wuhhh?
04/14/07 at 10:09:50

I didn't do anything but wring the throttle & jam on the brakes, no wrenches or screwdrivers involved. I got on it & it just felt a bit peppier, I don't have a way to keep up with mileage except memory & that thing usually self erases before I get to "reserve" But, it just seems that tank was gone real fast.  I wonder if I could have jumped a tooth on the cam? Is it possible to move tha cam that far & NOT screw the performance up but enhance it? I doubt that.. really, or the stock cam timing would be different. But, I will be checking timing marks before I disturb anything in the cam chain replacement job coming up..

Anyone know enough about the engine to say for sure about cam timing?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Performance & MPG changed,, wuhhh?
Reply #1 - 04/14/07 at 10:23:52

Yes and No, but please...

First go back to the part about self-erasing and actually fill the tank, ride 100 miles, and then fill the tank again to the same level.  Do the math.

Not trying to be rude, but come on.  You knew the answer before you started fretting about cam shafts.  Do you think you made a mistake in there?  If peppier means better why do you care?

What is your MPG?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/14/07 at 10:59:35

Greg, I know Ive been talking about being in to the cam for so long everyone must surely think Ive done it, but I am still waiting on the cam. I just got on it yesterday & it seemed noticeably stouter, NOw I am gonna have to either go in or do just as you say. What worries me is, IF it's possible something changed once, it could do it again. If it does it again, it may create conflict between valve & piston. I wouldnt want to see the top O my piston get a "Black eye" where a valve punched it.. I guess I need to park it. The cam is on its way( Thanks Lancer)
I dont want to drain it & pop the side off & check the tensioner just to ride for 2 days. I will look at it & report back..I guess I coulda made that decision before I said anything..

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 04/14/07 at 11:27:15

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Greg, I know Ive been talking about being in to the cam for so long everyone must surely think Ive done it, but I am still waiting on the cam. I just got on it yesterday & it seemed noticeably stouter, NOw I am gonna have to either go in or do just as you say. What worries me is, IF it's possible something changed once, it could do it again. If it does it again, it may create conflict between valve & piston. I wouldnt want to see the top O my piston get a "Black eye" where a valve punched it.. I guess I need to park it. The cam is on its way( Thanks Lancer)
I dont want to drain it & pop the side off & check the tensioner just to ride for 2 days. I will look at it & report back..I guess I coulda made that decision before I said anything..

Problem is...as you said..."if it's possible" that something changed once...

You don't know if something changed once and you certainly don't know if something changed twice.  And even if you thought there might be a problem or a chance of punching holes in the piston, then why the heck are you out wringing the throttle off?

In all my (questionable, at times) years of work, I've never known something that changed without a reason, and with engines (timing included) changes usually mean something gets noticeable or progressively or disastrously worse.  Never ever better.

It's much better to stress about things you know, than things you don't...that's all.  The bike runs good.  That's all you know.  No stress needed.  New cam's on the way...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/14/07 at 12:19:04

And even if you thought there might be a problem or a chance of punching holes in the piston, then why the heck are you out wringing the throttle off?

Well, since I know the tensioner was at 18.75 mm last I looked at it I was a bit worried, but I never heard any chain slapping noises & I used a stethoscope & racked it off a few times, no racket I could tell.I saw someone say their tensioner was at 22mm & still looking okay,tho the manual says 18 is time to do something. I dont think you are quite reading what I was saying OR I diont say what I meant to say. I will try agaion..

IF the cam has jumped timing, it did it VERY recently, It felt really good yesterday, Maybe it jumped when I shut off the niught before. IF it can jump once, then it just might do it again, IF it does it again THEN there might be a real p[roblem..You see I come HERE to discuss whats going on & see IF I need to be worried about it. I dont get where you are coming from. Maybe re read what I said. I know it's not yer style to be rude or hateful, but you gettin pretty close..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/14/07 at 12:44:32

I just opened mine and it was 22mm and it wasn't just fine.  It was time to do the cam chain.  although the cam chain is fine, it's the guide.  At 18.75mm I would have stopped right there and done the guide rebend ala Aeres.  OK, noff about the chain, and I don't think that's what's happening.  Most likely a slipping chain will retard cam timing (just a guess, no experience here)

MPG gone to nuts, whoo yeah performance.  Something going on with your carb.  Check your petc0ck (dam, almost typed pethingy on purpose) does your vacuum line got gas running through it.  A pin hole leak and lean carb could run real good.  go ahead check the carb too.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 04/14/07 at 23:09:41

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
And even if you thought there might be a problem or a chance of punching holes in the piston, then why the heck are you out wringing the throttle off?

Well, since I know the tensioner was at 18.75 mm last I looked at it I was a bit worried, but I never heard any chain slapping noises & I used a stethoscope & racked it off a few times, no racket I could tell.I saw someone say their tensioner was at 22mm & still looking okay,tho the manual says 18 is time to do something. I dont think you are quite reading what I was saying OR I diont say what I meant to say. I will try agaion..

IF the cam has jumped timing, it did it VERY recently, It felt really good yesterday, Maybe it jumped when I shut off the niught before. IF it can jump once, then it just might do it again, IF it does it again THEN there might be a real p[roblem..You see I come HERE to discuss whats going on & see IF I need to be worried about it. I dont get where you are coming from. Maybe re read what I said. I know it's not yer style to be rude or hateful, but you gettin pretty close..

???

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #7 - 04/15/07 at 18:18:06

I've had a "jumped tooth" and in this condition You can not exceed 65 mph.  
To jump a tooth You need the tensioner to go all the way out and to fall apart. If this happens, believe me, You don't need a stethoscope to know it.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/15/07 at 20:26:59

I wont be worrying about that tensioner letting go any more. I drilled a hole & ran a piece of .025 piano wire in it that traps the ratchet so the tensioner cant come from together..

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 04/15/07 at 20:52:09

you got a picture of this here?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 04/15/07 at 21:22:23

Roll Eyes

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/15/07 at 21:31:03

I took 4 or 5 pics before it came out clear. Doesnt matter. A 1/32 hole with a .025 wire thru it is too small to see unless yer holding it. I even used whiteout on the wire & a blue map pencil on the cast aluminum to try to get enough contrast to make it visible..

Anyway, heres a description:

I used a 1/32 end mill in a drill press & cut a small recess of about 65 thousandths deep by about 3/16ths long, running next to the slot the ratchet sits in.(Note:I really didnt sit down & think this thru, just walked off into it. I, as a result, had to get outta trouble & if I had thought about it first, I think I coulda done it better & easier.) After I got the recess made, so I could drill a hole & it not be on a radiused area, I realized I needed a very small hole & the smalles drill bit I have is 1/16th, so I looked ate the 1/32 end mill & even tho it is only about a 1/4 long before it tapers to a 1/4 shank, I really had nothing else, so I used that. Now, in order to make that work I tilted the body of the tensioner in the vise on the drill press( before any start thinking I have such a wunnermuss shop, I will tell you that the drill press was about 50 bucks off a "Eeverything made in China" truck & the vises, one travels 2 directions, so I can pretend I have a mill, were super cheap & work like crap, but I can make stuff happen, just takes much patience. )So, I used the mill tip to poke a hole at an angle into the far side of the tensioner & then , using the slide vise so the holes lined up, ealked the tensioner over & marked the side with the recess using the mill tip. Then I re set the tensioner in the vise so it would poke straight thru & drilled it on the mark. Now, all well & good except the wire is too high to catch the ratchet, so , after I drilled a hole in the corner of the tensioner( If ya look at the ratchet part, holding tensioner so the part that goes to the cam chain guide is pointed up, the area below it looks like a Y with the ratchet mounted in the arms of the Y, In the lower left corner, I drilled a hole to run the piano wire thru & bend it back on itself so it cant come out. Then I used a small punch to drilve the wire lower so as to trap the ratchet.. Voila! Took almost as long to type as to do it..

Built some clutch spring spacers from 3/8 washers, too. Stuck them on a bolt, ran them in the drill press & used a 4" grinder on them while they spun, then drilled them out. Hadda grind flat spots on them to keep them from spinning in the vise..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 04/15/07 at 23:05:35

It's too late to comprehend...   Shocked

I hope what you meant is the plunger is tied back to prevent it from coming out of the tensioner housing.

Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 04/16/07 at 10:40:43

Roll Eyes

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/16/07 at 16:10:10

I didnt tie it back. I watched the swing of the ratchet as the tensioner extended.  Then I saw how far the ratchet had to swing in order for the full diameter of it to pass thru the ratchet. I scribed a line would show me how close I could put the pin thru the body of the tensioner so as to restrict the swing of the ratchet, so the full diameter of the tensioner couldnt pass thru it, but the ratchet would still be able to swing far enough to allow the tensioner to take up the slack in the chain. I drilled a very small hole & ran an even smaller, Hard, wire thru it & secured that wire by drilling a hole in a corner of the casting that houses the swinging ratchet. I spose "Pawl" would be a better word than ratchet,

I hope others can figure this out,

If you will look at the pic Greg has now in his sig line, you can see the axle the Pawl swings on. You can see the area below the line in the casting is radiused, difficult to drill on. The hole needs to be parallel to the axle the Pawl swings on,I earlier called it the ratchet, it is the pawl of the ratchet, I spose would be most accurate. So, the hole to drill needs to be parallel to the axle, or pin, that the pawl swings on, that is seen in Gregs pic.  I made  a pocket in that curved area that would allow my drill( actually a 1/32 end mill, I th9ink I paid 6 or 8 bucks for at a machine shop supply house a few years ago) Then, realizing the very small area I had to work with, I decioded against a 1/16th hole & larger wire & went with the 1/32 = .03125 & used a piece of piano wire, available in hobby shops, radio control plane types call it control rod pretty often. It is available in many diameters & I try to keep a good selection around, have for years. A piece of .025 wire went thru the .031 hole easily but without so much slop it was usel;ess. I DID get the hole too close to the edge & had to drive it toward the spring with a pin punch, but it wont alow the thing to come apart & thats all I care about.
Also, be aware that the spring cant be interfeered with, so the placement of the hole is critical. Pretty small area to shoot at.
Once someone gets the thing in their hands & looks at it & studies how it works, all this will become clear. This can be done with a steady hand & a vise & a good drill bit or two, so I hope that I have a drill press doesnt keep others from going for this..

I have calculated the expected life of a cam chain using the wear on mine at 14,480 mjiles & comparing that length to the length of a new chain & figuring the percentage of wear. I figure a chain, with guides adjusted so as to keep the tensioner from coming to the end of its travel before the chain is worn out, should get between 20 & 21,000 miles.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:24:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Performance & MPG changed,, wuhhh?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.