Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re-jeting my carb (Read 5 times)
Austin_man
Ex Member

Re-jeting my carb
04/09/07 at 13:09:04

I am trying to get more power out of my 97 Savage. Does anyone know what Jet I am to use for increaseing my power and maybe tork. I also heard that I need to remove the white spacer that is located inside the carb. Some people remove and others say to shave it in half. What seems to work better???

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Re-jeting my carb
Reply #1 - 04/09/07 at 13:20:58

Welcome aboard.

If you search through the posts you'll find very good howto's on doing the carb.

Good place to start on building up the power is freer flow muffler and air filter (unless it's dusty than keep the stocker I think) and a carb rejet.

Depending on what you do with the exhaust (Jardine HD SEII or such ) likely a 150 or 152.5 (are you in Austin Tx?) mainjet, 1/2 the white spacer, and turn out the idle mixture screw (after pulling the brass plug) about 2 turns out from a Soft seat.

IP Logged
Austin_man
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/09/07 at 13:31:01

I am in Austin. I have replace my pipe with a Harley Sportser Pipe. It sounds so much better now. I sounded like a Singer Sewing machine before. Thanks for the info. I will give it a shot.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 04/09/07 at 14:07:34

who says a Singer sewing machien doesn't sound nice?

I'm dying to get my hands on one!

jetting, buy all the sizes around the one you think you need.  Saves trips to the shop.

IP Logged
Austin_man
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/09/07 at 14:08:38

10/4.Thanks.

IP Logged
jd06s40

live to ride

marion ohio
Reply #5 - 04/09/07 at 20:18:01

get a pilot jet

06 s40 se muffler,152.5 mainjet,55pilot,whitespacer mod,suzuki windscreen,gel seat,sissybar more to come
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/10/07 at 08:24:34

You will need a better exhaust & jetting to get decent powwer out of this little bike. The 1/2 spacer seems to be the most recommended approach.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 04/10/07 at 09:37:31

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Welcome aboard.

If you search through the posts you'll find very good howto's on doing the carb.

Good place to start on building up the power is freer flow muffler and air filter (unless it's dusty than keep the stocker I think) and a carb rejet.

Depending on what you do with the exhaust (Jardine HD SEII or such ) likely a 150 or 152.5 (are you in Austin Tx?) mainjet, 1/2 the white spacer, and turn out the idle mixture screw (after pulling the brass plug) about 2 turns out from a Soft seat.

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
You will need a better exhaust & jetting to get decent powwer out of this little bike. The 1/2 spacer seems to be the most recommended approach.

I agree with both of the above.  
Also, I apologize for derailing the topic earlier.  I've cleaned up the thread.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Austin_man
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/10/07 at 09:46:07

So I have the Harley sportster pipe, Shaving my spacer in half and rejeting with a 152.5 main. How about the pilot jet?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 04/10/07 at 09:51:51

Austin_man wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
So I have the Harley sportster pipe, Shaving my spacer in half and rejeting with a 152.5 main. How about the pilot jet?

Stick with the stock and use Lancer's Straight & Simple Carb Tuning procedure in the Tech Ref forum.  Only upsize it if you are unable to adjust it far enough using the adjustment screw.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 04/10/07 at 09:55:14

Austin_man wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:

Nothing etched in stone with the HD pipe and the jet size.  You might not need that large.  Buy all 3 sizes above the stock 145 and be prepared to swap them until you're happy with it.  Backfires aren't cool and neither is black soot.

If you change the bowl screws to allen head the first time, it is easy to swap the main jet later without removing the carb.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 04/10/07 at 10:02:49

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Also, I apologize for derailing the topic earlier.  I've cleaned up the thread.

Aw, don't be so hard on yourself.  We forgive you Tongue

I also agree with the 1/2 spacer approach.  Save the original spacer and replace with an equivalent diameter washer (or 2) to get the job done.

Hint:  Magnetize your screwdriver when reinstalling those little screws.  You'll have enough juggling to do.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 04/10/07 at 10:03:34

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
If you change the bowl screws to allen head the first time, it is easy to swap the main jet later without removing the carb.

Oh yeah, good point.  Forgot that was done too.  Try to get stainless if you can.  ACE hardware carries 'em in my area.

strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #13 - 04/10/07 at 14:28:32

Greg_650,

How do you actually know when you have the correct size jet installed ? Is the black soot or backfire caused by a jet that is too small or too large ?

Glenn

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 04/10/07 at 15:26:03

strangeling wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Greg_650,

How do you actually know when you have the correct size jet installed ? Is the black soot or backfire caused by a jet that is too small or too large ?

Glenn

Backfires are generally caused by a lean mixture (small jet).  Soot or blackish smoke would mean a rich mixture (large jet).  The "sweet spot" is in the middle where it burns clean, sounds good, and has good power.

The other day, based on a guys exhaust color, very few backfires, and other stuff I opted to just change his main jet 1 size to a 147.5.  We could have gone bigger, and may anyway, but black smoke is nothing more than wasted gas.  So, we'll see (see note)...

If you have a stock exhaust you can simply go up one 1 size and change the spacer for a lot more fun and less noise.  Then if you change other stuff for better flow, you can increase the jets even more just to keep that sweet spot.

Note: this was an unusual case too.  The Stinger has a 2002, with only a small amount of bluing on his SuperTrapp (w/ 8 disks) and no bluing on his header.  I didn't hear it running before this work but he swears it never backfires.  Even better, all his jets were stock.

So, I thought it might be better to just try to just get more power without disturbing a good thing.  1/2 spacer and 147.5 is all we did.  We cranked it before I left, but it wasn't ready for the street yet.  Time will tell.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:31:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re-jeting my carb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.