Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
hand grip removal ideas? (Read 6 times)
praetorian
Ex Member

hand grip removal ideas?
04/14/07 at 09:34:30

I bought a new set of bars for my Savage today.  I want to install them, but am having a little problem.  I want to reuse the grips that are on the bike right now.  They are atermarket chrome/black rubber grips installed by whomever hd the bars before me.  Thy seem to be glued on for all eternity.  Any suggestions on getting glued on grip off the left bar?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: hand grip removal ideas?
Reply #1 - 04/14/07 at 09:59:16

That left grip is really the only problem, right?  Used to be so easy, way back when, on bikes.  You could use a water hose or an air hose.

Need to loosen the glue - but don't know what kind it is....

Don't want to cut it off - want to keep the grip....

Probably need to use some heat to loosen the glue - can't use acetylene, I suppose...

Just an off the cuff idea.  Take the bar completely off the bike.  Go in kitchen and ask spouse for a good old crab pot. Fill pot with water.  Heat water to a boil.

Put on the spouse's favorite kitchen mitt, and insert bar end into water for just a few seconds.  Remove and try to turn grip loose.  If it doesn't come off, try it again fo a little longer.  Just watch that the rubber parts don't get deformed or something while twisting.

If it doesn't work, pick up some crabs on the way back from the bike shop Grin

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 04/14/07 at 12:07:49

Come on guys there is an easier way. Use the smallest tip you have on an air nozzle and run it around the grip a couple times. Has worked multiple times for me. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/14/07 at 12:16:54

What I do with the rubber grips is insert 3 screw drivers equal distant around the grip between the rubber and bar.  Then twist it off.  The screw drivers spin as you twist it around peeling off the glue.  I suppose you could use bamboo skewers too.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 04/14/07 at 13:37:09

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Come on guys there is an easier way. Use the smallest tip you have on an air nozzle and run it around the grip a couple times. Has worked multiple times for me. Max

Wish I'd thought of that but I can see why I didn't.  I don't have a compressor.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 04/14/07 at 16:24:47

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:

I mentioned that at the beginning of my post, but doubt it about glue.  Of course, we don't know what the grips look like

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 04/14/07 at 16:27:47

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Wish I'd thought of that but I can see why I didn't.  I don't have a compressor.

If you like the idea, don't have a compressor and want to cool off then use a garden hose.  I used them long before air.

IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/14/07 at 18:04:08

I went out to the garage to take the bars off so I could stick them in a pot.  I didn't think the crabs would mind too much.  Well, I never needed to disturb them thar crabs.

Since I was in the garage already I did the srewdriver trick with a very small screwdriver.  I slid it in a good ways and wiggled it to work it around the bar.  It worked like a charm.  I got the grip off and it now resides on the new Yamaha Roadstar longhorn bars that I bought today.  Pics will be in another thread.

Thanks for all the ideas.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 04/14/07 at 21:18:50

I tried the screwdriver bit with my Kuryakyn ISO grips and almost destroyed the grip removiing it.  Of course, the metal frame of the grip did make getting anything underneath the grip very difficult and the Kuryakyn glue is some serious stuff, to say the least.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 04/14/07 at 22:09:26

Yamaha bars?  You never mentioned that.

Obviously, I'm not dealing with a high tech crowd here.  Once you use the boiling water on the grips then you use the seafood tools to remove them.  I thought everyone was more forward thinking than this...

You got lucky.  This time, even a cave man could do it Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 04/14/07 at 22:13:01

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I tried the screwdriver bit with my Kuryakyn ISO grips and almost destroyed the grip removiing it.  Of course, the metal frame of the grip did make getting anything underneath the grip very difficult and the Kuryakyn glue is some serious stuff, to say the least.

That's what I was thinking...I know, cause my throttle grip only made it to the last 1/8" of its destination before that stuff set Smiley

Oh well, brute force won this time...

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #11 - 04/15/07 at 11:29:59

The other old shop trick on rubber grips after you slip the screwdriver in there is spray a little water in, pull the screwdriver and start to twist and wiggle the grip.  Soon the water works around and zip off it comes.  (This is less agressive approach to the boiling pot)  I have used the boiling water to get old dried up GS style shifter pads off with out destroying them...it does work like a charm)

No experience with the Kuryakan

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 04/16/07 at 10:51:00

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
The other old shop trick on rubber grips after you slip the screwdriver in there is spray a little water in, pull the screwdriver and start to twist and wiggle the grip.  Soon the water works around and zip off it comes.  (This is less agressive approach to the boiling pot)  I have used the boiling water to get old dried up GS style shifter pads off with out destroying them...it does work like a charm)

No experience with the Kuryakan

Thanks Smokie.  I knew boiling water would work.  I guess I just had too much fun explaining it.

The last choice is a box cutter....Smiley

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #13 - 04/16/07 at 23:31:58

You can try a very thin flat bladed screwdriver and spray some carb cleaner between the grip and the bars. The carb cleaner softens just about everuy kind of glue.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 04/16/07 at 23:34:53

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
You can try a very thin flat bladed screwdriver and spray some carb cleaner between the grip and the bars. The carb cleaner softens just about everuy kind of glue.

Might even soften the grip enough to just roll it off like a used condom too Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 03:17:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › hand grip removal ideas?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.