Send Topic Print
Dragging footpeg (Read 11 times)
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Dragging footpeg
04/15/07 at 14:16:28

Yeah, about that dragging footpeg - any way to make the front pegs into flip ups?  

Or something along that idea line to keep from experiencing the ACK! of scraping when you are concentrating on a smooth turn with a nice lean going on?

And what about repair of pegs that are showing a little, uhmmm, 'wear' on the sides?

Any recommendations of a different type of peg maybe?
Flexible Kevlar?

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Dragging footpeg
Reply #1 - 04/15/07 at 14:57:27

Mine are bone stock flip ups (or pivot ups if you prefer) my bike is an '02 Savage.   I have a 15% flat on the chrome end of the right peg and no degradation of service on the rubber (the rest of the rubber holds it on just fine).

You can hold a fine line even if you drag a bit, it will not cause you to change line unless you flinch because of the "scrunch" sensation.  In a few corners I have come to expect it, so much so if I don't touch down I wonder what I did wrong.

Savages lean just dandy and the pegs fold up safely (mine do, anyway)

Oldfeller

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #2 - 04/15/07 at 16:04:12

On my 06 the back passenger pegs flip up but the front pegs do not.  I think if the front ones were pivot type or 'gave' a little, the drag would not be such a distraction.

Is it okay to just go ahead and drag them (not every day mind you) and replace them when things look really worn?

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/15/07 at 17:41:12

You mean they are solid & dont give? Mine done fold like the ones on the back, but they do flex up quite a ways. If they went further, I guess I would have to move my foot.
I flinch still when a peg hits, most times anyway. As I pointed out in an earl;ier post. I had been dragging a peg in a corner making 40 MPH at the exit, then, the other day, I cam out ofg it at 50 & didnt drag the peg. I need to work on my riding & see if I can lean less & turn more. I know that turn FELT good, smooth, easy. I work harder in that turn at 40 than I did that day at 50. Wheres a camera when ya need one?

Okay, so pegs hit the ground, I know, but there is something to be said for working on style that manages to minimize peg dragging. That being said, Pegs NEED to fold or I dont think they are very safe..

SKAT,, are those stock pegs?

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #4 - 04/15/07 at 18:08:33

You will develop a habit to slightly lift Your foot off the dragging peg. This is a dangerous , because this is pretty close to the limit. If You go over a bump in this moment, You might hit the frame or the foot peg mount and You will see the asphalt comming very fast at You.
I know it from a personal experience.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #5 - 04/15/07 at 18:18:38

The pegs are placed and designed with the lean angle in mind. If you are dragging pegs (which is ok) then you are at the threshold of a lowside. The stock pegs shold give a little in order to accomodate the occasional drag, if they don't you may want to have them looked at. The cantert section of the peg and rubber are sold seperatly and are both replaceable when they are worn too far. Enjoy the peg dragging but be sure to remember you are at the edge of the lean angle.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/15/07 at 20:45:49

Yea, when I was pulling the plate the peg mouts to, so I could get the header off. I discovered the nut on the rear bolt was thoroughly ground off, on the cap. I spose a B8UMP wpuld cause a major upset.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #7 - 04/16/07 at 07:19:00

Looks like I need to do TWO things - adjust how I ride and check the pegs again.

Riding differently is not a problem.  I am testing what my bike can do almost daily. I will certainly try a little more throttle thru turns.

As a new rider (less than a year) I am constantly learning and adjusting.  I admit getting excited about finally getting comfortable with leaning. Right up until I scrape that peg. Urg.

As for the front pegs - they APPEAR to be on a straight base, no pivot, stock.  I cannot move them at all. That being said, I can barely move the back pegs either, and they are clearly on pivots.  It may just be that I don't have the physical strength to see if the front pegs give under pressure.

I appreciate the input and will check and try the tips tomorrow - today it is freezing cold with 45 mph winds. I took the car to work.  Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/16/07 at 09:02:55

Sorry about the weather... you peg dragging savage.

The front pegs should pivot up, not fully but half way.  With all your exploits, you may have bent the pivot pin.  Or they're rusted.

The backs should pivot up and stay.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #9 - 04/16/07 at 09:37:04

"Peg draggiing savage" I kinda like that moniker!

I will check the front pegs tomorrow with rubber mallet in one hand and oil can in the other.

Unless the first owner damaged them, they should (according to you guys) pivot a bit.  They should not be rusted, as this is a new bike kept under cover and clean.

I would also like to hope I did not accidentally wreck the peg pin myself with my amatur riding skills. Urgh.  Tongue

As for the rear pegs - they are so pristine clean I could resell them as new. Never once used em!  Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 04/16/07 at 10:13:45

Assuming this is the first Savage that you've seen...Are the pegs stock?

They will get scraped if you lean too far, no matter what kind, but the stock ones should flex a bit.

My pegs are aftermarket but they are mounted on rubber and flex too.

I also have ground up chrome acorn nut on the right side.  Kinda proud of it Tongue

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #11 - 04/16/07 at 13:11:50

Okay guys, I've LOOKED online forever today for a photo of a standard footpeg for my model (2006) and cannot find one!  

The first (original) owner told me the only things she did were to add the windscreen, and change out for the HD pipe.

How can I tell for certain if the foot peg is stock?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/16/07 at 15:30:56

You can always walk in a dealership & look at a brannn spankin new bike,,They dont charge for that.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #13 - 04/16/07 at 15:46:22

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
You can always walk in a dealership & look at a brannn spankin new bike,,They dont charge for that.

Not yet!!!

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #14 - 04/16/07 at 18:48:01

I don't know about going to the only dealership in my little burg to look at new ones - last time I was there they tried to sell me a nasty used HD (at the Suzi dealer!!) and they charge $75 (no I'm not kidding) for an oil change.

Why do you think I'm picking you guys brains for how to do all this myself!?  Roll Eyes

Anywho, I'll work on it tomorrow in daylight and report back. You all are an endless font of knowledge.  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 23:28:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dragging footpeg

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.