Impact tools (Read 11 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: Impact tools
Reply #15 - 04/13/07 at 22:28:19

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Dead blow works fine, but I prefer a brass hammer as it doesn't peen over the edges of the attack driver (name on the box mine came in years ago). Max

You can bet that tool was made in Japan; because that translation is most certainly "Engrish."

http://www.engrish.com/

I've got a few brass hammers too. One large one left over from a place where I worked which required me to drop in a lot of bronze bushings into these gigantic nitrogen over oil suspensions (like a huge McPherson strut).

We had to heat the bore to several hundred degrees with a rosebud, while the bronze bushing sat in a tub of liquid nitrogen. Then when you drop the bushing into the bore, and the temp. equalizes, the resulting interference fit is more tight than any press fit possible.

The reason for the large brass hammers was: if a bushing got crooked while being dropped in, you only had a few seconds to get it straight, and to the bottom of the bore before the temp. started to equalize. Once that happened, and if the bushing wasn't all the way in, you had just boogerd up several thousand dollars of bushing; which had to be cut out; because a 40 ton press wouldn't budge it! Mess that process up often and the boss isn't going to like you much!

Anyways, brass is softer than bronze, and you could whang away hard on the bushings without denting them (much).

The small brass hammers I own are for setting nickle silver frets in the fingerboards of guitars. Once again, the brass is softer and doesn't mess up the alloy frets.

In my 20s I worked in a shop with an old lead man who would cuss you for swinging the sledge hammer like a sissy while he held the drive bar!!! On that job I learned to be a real "steel drivin' man." Never hit the old man once.

IP Logged
T140V
Ex Member

Re: Impact tools
Reply #16 - 04/14/07 at 14:32:29

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Your comment about "spinning" a tool to judge it's quality reminds me of an old story:

A guy goes to apply for a job as a mechanic... The boss picks up a ball peen hammer and tosses it into the air. It flips around three times and then he grabs it mid-air.

Then he asks the applicant "You think you can you do that?" The prospective employee says "Sure, I can do that!"

The boss tells him "I don't need you then. Look out in the shop, I've got two guys standing around out there doing that right now!" Grin

That's an old one Rockin_John. It's good though.

I guess I should have used the word " turn " instead of " Spin ".  I didn't mean spin like a drum stick, I meant turn like a screwdriver. Sometimes you have to turn a wrench over and over in order to get in a tight spot. Of course you would only do that if you were really working. Grin

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: Impact toolsnuisance
Reply #17 - 04/14/07 at 15:30:03

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
You'll get nowhere with a rubber mallet, and the "regular" hammer will bounce, which is both a nuisance and can be a hazard.

As I posted to you before: Use a shot filled "dead blow" hammer. Very different from a "rubber mallet." They don't bounce (rebound) and all the inertia will be transfered to the impact driver. Worth every penny.

- yes i looked for a deadblow at the shop. saw a really old one, may go back and get it. i was just 'hoping' that i could get away with something i already had on hand. oh well....

Pardon me...

Sorry about my mistake where I added "nuisance" to the subject line... A slip of the old cut-n-paste.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:19:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Impact tools

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.