Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
HELP !  Fuel Mixture setting (Read 8 times)
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
HELP !  Fuel Mixture setting
04/10/07 at 13:25:16

Ok I have upsized the main jet, done the 1/2 white spacer mod and drilled the brass plug to the fuel mixture screw but I'm having trouble trying to do Lancers carb tuning with the fuel mixture screw. I'm following the directions but honestly I don't notice the engine slowing down when I turn the screw in or out ! So I have no idea where it should be set. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I am frustrated !!!!!!  Angry

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: HELP !  Fuel Mixture setting
Reply #1 - 04/10/07 at 13:41:55

How fast is your idle speed?

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #2 - 04/10/07 at 14:17:18

Not sure what RPM but like the post said smooth fast idle !!

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 04/10/07 at 14:25:55

Ok, let's get in the ballpark - is it the stock pilot jet?

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #4 - 04/10/07 at 14:29:25

Yep stock pilot jet !

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 04/10/07 at 14:52:20

ok - guess the mainjet is a 150<->155 - not that it effects the pilot at all - first you need to be really sure you have no leaks at the intake or the exhaust - if you do you'll never get rid of the back fires

lightly seat the pilot screw and back it out 1 3/4 turns - you may want to put a scratch on the screw or a tiny dab of paint - something so you can see where you are

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 04/10/07 at 15:02:12

Fire it up and let it warm up a bit - make sure the choke is off - slow the idle down to a mild thump - listen to some of the exhaust recordings in the tech section - most have an idle period of about where you want it to idle - now blip the throttle while looking down at the exhaust pipe - did you see much if any black smoke? did the engine die?

if it died up the idle just a tad

if you saw no black smoke when you did quick blip on throttle - add a 1/8 of a turn out on the mixture

let it idle for a couple secs and hit the kill switch - did it backfire?

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #7 - 04/10/07 at 15:55:18

Just to confirm when you say pilot screw you mean the one behind the brass plug I drilled right ! If so I did this and no black smoke with the quick blip and no backfire when I hit the kill switch. Does this mean the mixture screw is ok where it is now ? Actually my main jet was originally a 145 and I only upped it to a 147.5 to start with. But I do have a Jardine so do you think I should go to either a 150 or 152.5. How exactly do you know which size main jet is correct ?

Thanks again,

Glenn

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 04/10/07 at 16:19:43

yep that's the plug - yes stock should have been a 145 - well at sealevel and the stock airfilter and exactly 1/2 white spacer I find the 152.5 to be just fine - light tan on the spark plug and such

carry a small screw driver with you - might need to tweak the idle mixture a bit - add a 1/4 turn or so and see where you start getting black smoke puffs when you blip it - you might want to ride it a little and then toss in a 150/152.5 jet and find out - you'll like need to tweak on the mixture again after you do - the right way on the mainjet is pick up a few of the dirt cheap champions and go through a plug read exercise - but you can also feel it when your say 2 jet sizes to big - if you go wide open throttle in a higher gear say 4th for a bit and then slowly ease up on the throttle the bike will actually speed up a touch as you back off the throttle

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #9 - 04/10/07 at 16:41:36

I'm 4000 ft above sea level so does that usually mean a bigger or smaller main jet than sea level ?  And the black smoke puffs occur when the mixture is at the wrong setting right ?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 04/10/07 at 18:31:27

you get the black puffs when shes rich - 4000 feet is going to like a little leaner (thin air) - you may be good at the 147.5 or could try out a 150

IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #11 - 04/10/07 at 19:18:52

WARNING! WARNING! WILL ROBINSON..... Here's my .02, or my experience. I still need to do the pre-season service and checklist, but getting the carb set up seems more important.
I went from stock all to 152.5 main, left the pilot, and put on a better muffler and a free flow drop in air filter. I tried  to follow the carb set up but found out that for some reason I only have a total of two complete turns on that "screw under plug" before it feels like I bottom out or top out. I thought I found my "happy spot" until I got backfire and pops on decel. I did as suggested, took a screw driver (Leatherman) with me and as I road for a while made adjustments along the way. I made sure that I went through the paces throttle up and decel a couple of times with long stretches in between just to satisfy my own ignorance as to what I'm doing. I found that turning the "screw under plug" in small increments at a time actually made big differences. BTW I was turning it out (CCW, towards the back of the bike, lefty lucie, richer). From what I got from all the info from all the posts, and theirs plenty. The Savage is running Might-T- Fine. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will have time to get the other maintenance done and it will be ready for the season.
Didn't mean to ramble, my only point was not to long ago I needed a manual to find the drain plug. But with the help of this group and this site. All is good. Except for the rattle, squeeks and other noises I hope to get rid of soon.
Hope it helps someone.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 04/10/07 at 19:34:25

Fido_the_Cat wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Except for the rattle, squeeks and other noises I hope to get rid of soon.
Hope it helps someone.

Dang speed-o-meter and headlight on both of mine

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #13 - 04/10/07 at 19:51:11

Thanks everyone for your help. The weather has just turned to crap so I will have to wait to go for a decent ride to see how she runs for sure.

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #14 - 04/10/07 at 20:00:25

When you do find the proverbial "sweet spot" be sure to dope her as the screw on mine was a threat to drift a bit.

Jim

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 16:22:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELP !  Fuel Mixture setting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.