Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Newbie, and  tensioner  headaches (Read 6 times)
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Newbie, and  tensioner  headaches
04/10/07 at 05:01:38

Hello folks, I'm very glad I've found this forum. I've been reading as much as I can find about the inherent timing chain/tensioner problems, and since the Savage is a new addition, I know I'm going to have to tackle this issue ASAP.

First of all, what is the parts cost of a new tensioner, and sliders, and the chain itself.

2nd, are these OEM parts, or are aftermarket parts available ?

3rd, can the job be done with the engine in the bike, or better off pulling the engine out and "bench" repairing?

Thanks for the help, I'm glad to see there are lots of Thumper Guru's here !

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Newbie, and  tensioner  headaches
Reply #1 - 04/10/07 at 05:37:12

Do a few searches and you'll get a lot of information on a few mods that folks are trying out.  Otherwise, try places like www.RonAyers.com and look at the fiche for OEM parts.  I am unaware of any aftermarket versions other than the mods being designed/built/tested by owners.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 04/10/07 at 08:29:33

The job can easily be done inframe. unless you need to change the one guide that is held in place between the head and cylinder.  Lots of information in the tech section and RSD on the issue and solutions. What we don't have is real answers to the cause and difference between bikes mileage between failure. Years ago on Bert's German forum, it only came up once and that was long distance commuter in San Diego that went about 90K miles before his came lose and noisy. Seems like the average now is in the mid 20K miles for an inspection at least. There is a unit made in Europe that allows the tensioner anchor to be moved that solves the looseness problem but not the resulting change in cam timing. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #3 - 04/10/07 at 08:46:54

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
What we don't have is real answers to the cause and difference between bikes mileage between failure. Years ago on Bert's German forum, it only came up once and that was long distance commuter in San Diego that went about 90K miles before his came lose and noisy. Seems like the average now is in the mid 20K miles for an inspection at least.

I wonder what changed? Lower quality cam chain maybe?

Ken

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/10/07 at 08:49:48

I am WANting to find someone with access to liquid nitrogen so I can freeze the crap outta this new cam chain for a few days &
then I intend to soak it in oil a day or so, so none of it will be dry at start.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/10/07 at 09:03:22

From what I see, half of the issues are caused by a combination of chain stretch, and/or guide problems.  Not knowing the manufacturing history of these components will make it hard to pin point the problem.

WWW   IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #6 - 04/10/07 at 09:11:42

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
liquid nitrogen

What will the freezing do?

Ken

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/10/07 at 09:13:48

Ther have been some experiments with cryogenics on engine blocks & pistons & other high stressed parts & it gave them a longer service life. I can't begin to splain how or why. Maybe it's another one for the Mythbusters??

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 04/10/07 at 09:49:33

I would assume that it might slightly increase the molecular density.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/10/07 at 10:07:19

Interseting comments, I guess the problem cannot be solved just by replacing the tensioner.

How much is this fix going to cost ??? Shocked

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 04/10/07 at 10:11:31

K1200LTryder wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Interseting comments, I guess the problem cannot be solved just by replacing the tensioner.

How much is this fix going to cost ??? Shocked

The mods are various workarounds and are not currently readily available here.  I've tried corresponding with the designer of the German mod about purchasing one from him and he is not responding to my emails.  So far as replacing parts, you'll have to crack yours open and assess what needs to be replaced and then look at someplace like RonAyers.com to price those parts.  This assumes you'll be doing your own work.

K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/10/07 at 11:35:49

Yes Rob, I'll be doing the work myself.

I figure if I can handle all the maintainence on the BMW and CBX, this little gem should be a treat to work on.

I'm getting the factory shop manual for it tomorrow, and that should be a great help. ( plus willing to share any info from it here also).

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 04/10/07 at 11:38:37

Chain $70
Gaskets $20
Tensioner $40
The grin on your face when you're done - priceless.

(round numbers estimates)

German kit $200
Machining/Welding to avoid buying German kit - 6 pack of beer.
Doing it my way and it actualy works - priceless x 10   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/10/07 at 11:44:37

That aint to bad there verslagen....interested on what "your way" is ???

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 04/10/07 at 12:46:11

K1200LTryder wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I figure if I can handle all the maintainence on the BMW and CBX, this little gem should be a treat to work on.

No doubt about that.  That's one of the things I find most attractive about this bike.  I had to add the qualifier though.  This site really has a wide range of abilities and experience and sometimes folks want to know what something would cost including labor.  Personally, I don't have a lot of experience wrenching but I do have a little.  I'm not afraid of tools and can read shop manual.  Sometimes that means I bite off more than I can chew but hopefully not often.  I have less than 9K miles on mine, so I haven't made a point of opening it up yet.  I plan to replace my clutch springs sometime this spring/summer and will assess the cam chain components at that time.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 02:34:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie, and  tensioner  headaches

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.