Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Carb Leak Diagnosis
Reply #15 - 04/10/07 at 10:08:30

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
hmmm... that's a good question.  I don't know.  Actually, I like this carb... when it's running well. VERY responsive.  First gear is pretty ridiculous.

Do both of the floats act on the same part that works the float valve?

I keep an old hair dryer in the garage. (I borrowed it from my spouse, but when I returned it a little dirty, she bought a new one)...that's what I use for removing stickers and heating things.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #16 - 04/10/07 at 10:11:45

there is no attachment mechanism.  23 is what I've been calling the "float arm."  The pins on the floats that point toward the center push up on the float arm, but are not "yoked," but ideally, they both push on the float arm the same amount, at the same time (I imagine).  To try and be more specific, they separately push on the arms that extend towards teh bottom left corner of your computer screen in the diagram I posted.  The center tab on the float arm pushes on the needle valve, or course...  Hope i made that clear.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #17 - 04/10/07 at 10:14:36

Item 23 is one solid piece so that the two floats cannot move independently, is it not?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #18 - 04/10/07 at 10:16:12

23 is a solid piece.  But if one float is binding and not pushing on 23, I don't think the other float will push on 23 enough to close the needle valve.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 04/10/07 at 10:18:32

That makes sense and it functions the same as a larger single float.  If one side of my single float were to bind, I would expect the same effect.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #20 - 04/10/07 at 10:26:17

one thing I've noticed about our VM & Amal (from another post by you, Rob) carbs is that they both have starter, or cold start, plungers, not chokes (enrichment circcuits).  As far as I can tell, they operate very differently than chokes.  Get the bike started, lift the plunger after a bit.   If you put that plunger down again, kills the bike.  On a stock carb, engaging the choke effectively ups the idle (and may make it run like garbage if you leave it out).

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 04/10/07 at 10:47:49

I can verify that I only use mine for initial start.  Once she's running, that lever is flipped back.  I intend to convert that to a cable actuated version with a thumb lever on the handle bar.

Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 04/10/07 at 11:07:16

23 is a solid piece.  But if one float is binding and not pushing on 23, I don't think the other float will push on 23 enough to close the needle valve.

That theory would almost make the 2 float design just about stupid though...

Seems like either one should be sufficient to close the needle.

Could it have anything to do with leaning the bike over?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #23 - 04/10/07 at 11:17:27

I honestly think it's just a matter of how they decided to get it to fit around the jet and into the overall package size they wanted.

Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #24 - 04/10/07 at 13:45:01

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I honestly think it's just a matter of how they decided to get it to fit around the jet and into the overall package size they wanted.

Why do you like the carb?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #25 - 04/11/07 at 07:23:47

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Could it have anything to do with leaning the bike over?

maybe... uh, I noticed it almost always happened when I cam to a stop.  Occasionally though, I did smell gas as I was motoring along... I don't think it particularly had anything to do with leaning.

I'm gonna reinstall the VM tomorrow evening...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #26 - 04/11/07 at 07:55:31

Why do you like the carb?

My Amal?  Mainly, I like the simplicity and the responsiveness.  I like having the movement of the needle being directly related to movement of the throttle instead of being tempered by a rubber membrane.  It's also kinda cool that I need simply remove a threaded brass plug and have easy access to the main jet (though a special tool makes changing it simpler).

Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #27 - 04/11/07 at 09:28:44

maybe... uh, I noticed it almost always happened when I cam to a stop.  Occasionally though, I did smell gas as I was motoring along... I don't think it particularly had anything to do with leaning.

I'm gonna reinstall the VM tomorrow evening...

I just wondered if the floats might seek different levels if the angle of the carb changed...  Just trying to understand the purpose of independent floats.  Could be like Rob said too.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 04/11/07 at 09:31:30

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
My Amal?  Mainly, I like the simplicity and the responsiveness.  I like having the movement of the needle being directly related to movement of the throttle instead of being tempered by a rubber membrane.  It's also kinda cool that I need simply remove a threaded brass plug and have easy access to the main jet (though a special tool makes changing it simpler).

There you go confusing me again...Smiley

I knew you had the Amal, but I thought that you were running the 38 MM Mikuni too.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #29 - 04/11/07 at 11:19:04

I knew you had the Amal, but I thought that you were running the 38 MM Mikuni too.

Ahhh... Nope, I have the BS40 as an emergency standby (and another BS40 I bought for spare parts off eBay for $35 a long time ago) but I use the Amal full-time.

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 03:28:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Leak Diagnosis

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.