Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Best way to remove messed up screws ? (Read 9 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Best way to remove messed up screws ?
Reply #15 - 04/09/07 at 04:55:39

aussie_biker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Yep
Penetrating oil,cold chisels,impact drivers.
All good.
Don't forget Helicoils when it all goes to sh:t.
Gotta love Helicoils.
Expensive at the start but an essential item for all home mechanics.

Definitely useful if you grind away too much air jet Shocked

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #16 - 04/09/07 at 11:17:47

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 04/09/07 at 11:25:13

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:

Yep...but the best thing is to not get that deep into it.  Right?  Your technique is for when it has all gone to crap...Tongue

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #18 - 04/09/07 at 11:31:27

yeah.  If you've totally messed up the head, be it allen, 6 point bolt, or screw... this method usually works.  Don't drill too deep...  but sometimes that ends up being the option...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 04/09/07 at 11:45:20

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
yeah.  If you've totally messed up the head, be it allen, 6 point bolt, or screw... this method usually works.  Don't drill too deep...  but sometimes that ends up being the option...

Yep, but sometimes, even a little patience pays off.  Sometimes if a bolt head breaks off, the torque is relieved on the threads, and they actually get loose.

In the photo below, is a pic of MY broken headcover bolt.  Yep, it sure did tick me off to have to remove the headcover before the silicone had even dried...

But patience and a small punch was what I used to get it out....the photo is a little dark, but the punch is there.

Might not work everytime, but here is another option too.

Like I said...when it has ALL gone to crap Grin

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #20 - 04/09/07 at 17:12:57

Well I finally got all the screws removed, but seriously why the freak do they use these substandard screws on these bikes - I mean there can't be that much difference in the cost of using stainless steel ones !
I guess that I just needed to vent as I have had a day of frustration with these screws !!! But I sure do love my bike !!

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #21 - 04/09/07 at 18:21:01

strangeling wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Well I finally got all the screws removed, but seriously why the freak do they use these substandard screws on these bikes

You're right. The screws are too soft. I used vice grips on half of mine and the bike was fairly new when I rejetted it. With stainless allen heads, there should be no worries in the future.

IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #22 - 04/10/07 at 04:28:05

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Man, that reminds me of the bad root canal that I had.  I ended up getting the whole tooth pulled.

Thats why I dropped out of dental school!  Shocked

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 04/10/07 at 05:10:07

TVR_FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Thats why I dropped out of dental school!  Shocked

It was the humane thing to do
Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #24 - 04/10/07 at 05:45:05

strangeling wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Well I finally got all the screws removed, but seriously why the freak do they use these substandard screws on these bikes - I mean there can't be that much difference in the cost of using stainless steel ones !
I guess that I just needed to vent as I have had a day of frustration with these screws !!! But I sure do love my bike !!

I think the idea is to use fasteners that are softer than the base into which they are being threaded.  The logic there would be to avoid damaging threads in the carb, block, etc.  I just wish they weren't quite as wimpy as they are.  I really hated snapping off the bolt in the cylinder head.  I used Greg's method and carefully tapped it to back it out until I could grab it with needle-nose vise-grips.  The boogered pilot adjustment screw is still in the carb.  I upsized the pilot jet (which required an EZ-Out to remove) and got lucky that it was a perfect adjustment.  Some folks advocate sticking the carb in the freezer for a while to cause the metal to contract and allow the screw to loosen slightly.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 04/10/07 at 06:52:44

Carb in the frig!  Good idea....shouldn't be a problem since Julie is used to engine parts in the oven Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 04/10/07 at 07:18:34

When I tried to get the pilot out, one ear snapped off. I sure dont want to create a need for any EASE out, on account I have never, ever seen anyrhing EASE out that I wanted to get out. You folks spose a period in the freezer would make it let go? I LIKE that idea.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #27 - 04/10/07 at 08:21:47

From a technical newsletter I get online. On engines with aluminum blocks and head ( the top and bottom of the carb would be =) to prevent broken bolts, use the correct size punch and rap the head of each fastener a couple times before trying to loosen them. Always use a proper size phillips driver that is in primo shape to do this on the carb screws. this is not the time to save $ on screwdriver quality. If you like to use the ACR (trademark for anti cam out design) bits I get mine from the Snap-on dealer for my hex driver handle. Also they have regular screwdrivers with this feature. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 04/10/07 at 08:36:52

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
From a technical newsletter I get online. On engines with aluminum blocks and head ( the top and bottom of the carb would be =) to prevent broken bolts, use the correct size punch and rap the head of each fastener a couple times before trying to loosen them. Always use a proper size phillips driver that is in primo shape to do this on the carb screws. this is not the time to save $ on screwdriver quality. If you like to use the ACR (trademark for anti cam out design) bits I get mine from the Snap-on dealer for my hex driver handle. Also they have regular screwdrivers with this feature. Max

Max, you and I gotta work on something sometime.  Would be a hoot.  Wish I'd been there for the burn-out too.

There you go using all the fancy stuff again, but if you'll notice my "poor man's" technique on the other page...I suggest grabbing an old Phillips screwdriver and rapping the heads of the fasteners.  

Same effect with a smaller toolbox Tongue

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #29 - 04/10/07 at 08:56:42

Just reinforcing it for the new folks. Using the phillips for the punch on carb screws is the only way, otherwise the cross head part will be un-usable and plans C-E have to be tried. The ACR really works, I don't buy anything else now. Come in both loosen, tighten or both ways options. I get both. However once it slips it is option time as it really chews up the screwhead. I also use a hand held impact driver 3/8 drive for the case screws with a APEX brand 1 - 3/4" long bit. Save lots of grief on those. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:27:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best way to remove messed up screws ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.