Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Super Brace Installation (Read 46 times)
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Super Brace Installation
04/03/07 at 18:53:43

I have two very basic questions.  I am not mechanically inclined and some of the terminology used is new to me.  I plan on buying a Super Brace for my 06 S40, and plan on installing it myself.  First question; how do the factory plastic fork guards come off?  Second question;  what are they refering to as the pinch bolts?, or it is necessary to loosen them as stated on the Super Brace web site?
I will appreciate any replies

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: Super Brace Installation
Reply #1 - 04/04/07 at 06:30:34

firsts40 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I have two very basic questions.  I am not mechanically inclined and some of the terminology used is new to me.  I plan on buying a Super Brace for my 06 S40, and plan on installing it myself.  First question; how do the factory plastic fork guards come off?  Second question;  what are they refering to as the pinch bolts?, or it is necessary to loosen them as stated on the Super Brace web site?
I will appreciate any replies

The forkguards have to be cut with a sharp knife. Be carefull not to damage the forklegs.
The pinchbolt sits in the right hand leg on the bottom facing the wing and needs a 6mm allen key.
Slacken it off a bit, fit the brace as per instructions, retighten the pinchbolt and you're done.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #2 - 04/04/07 at 06:39:28

SmileyI thank you for the info.  I hope it will improve the handling.  the roads here in Mississippi are generally very good, although there are some with wear grooves and we have draw bridges that I have to cross every day going to work.  Usually I just let the bike "dance" a little going over the draw bridge cratings.  I also spend a lot of time on the highways and I can feel a slight bit of wooble at the highway speeds.
Once again thanks. Smiley  8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #3 - 04/13/07 at 23:25:28

Just recieved my Superbrace today.  The question I have is, they sent me one for a 2001-2003 Savage and not a 2006 S40.  Does anyone know if there is any difference in the two.  The one I recieved is Part #3335 and Part #3335-01 is listed for the 06 S40.
??? ???

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/14/07 at 00:16:44

I just stuck one on today. I had no destructions. Why loosen the pinch bolt? Isnt that just what keeps the front axle?

The old fork protectors on my 05 model popped off real easy. I used a sharp 1/4 inch chisel & lightly tapped it & folloewed the groove & did it again & it cracked. Not a mark on the leg.

I took the brace from a windshield wiper rubber & bent the end down & cut it with dikes so I could drive it in a board, used a couple very small nails to hold the other end & hit it with a flapper sander till it fit the groove in the leg. I imagine the Brace will work just fine without it, but I went ahead so as to give it as much area to crush as possible. Digital callipers make a deal like that easy. I woulda said heck with it with the vernier.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 04/14/07 at 04:36:29

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I just stuck one on today. I had no destructions. Why loosen the pinch bolt? Isnt that just what keeps the front axle?

Forgot about that - yes it tells you to loosen the pinch bolt and flex the frontend a bit to make sure the fork tubes are aligned.

Sounds like you took care of the grove.

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #6 - 04/14/07 at 06:58:40

???  Thanks guys for the info, but do either of you know if the brace for the 2001-2003 Savage will fit the 2006 S40?  I wouldn't think there would be that much difference, unless Suzuki has made the forks larger in diameter.  Any infor on this will be greatly appreciated.

Always ride safe Smiley

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #7 - 04/14/07 at 07:36:47

They are the same.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #8 - 04/14/07 at 08:52:54

Thank you  for the info I needed.  I will let you know how it works, and maybe post a pic.
Always ride safe
Smiley Smiley 8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/14/07 at 09:33:26

Yea Reel, I messed with it till I felt good about it.. I knew I was gonna like the looks of it, but had no idea how much.. I dressed the grooves in the underside & used a flashlight to check fender clearance. It was still tight on one side, so I loosened the fender bolts & jammed a piece of weed eater string under the brace( U sliced some off at a taper, didnt scratch anything) & checked & tightened bolts. Anyway, used a 4" grinder very lightly to dress the brace, then followed with a flapper wheel in a "Dremel" from Big Lots.. no Dremel, but the stuff I get after with it doesnt know that..

I guess I will go loosen that pinchy bolt & give the front end a wiggle. I used antisieze on the bolts, since steel/aluminum stuff can get so messed up. Hmm, I guess those bolts were stainless, werent they? Owell,, I used antisieze anyway..

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 04/14/07 at 13:28:56

???  Thanks guys for the info, but do either of you know if the brace for the 2001-2003 Savage will fit the 2006 S40?  I wouldn't think there would be that much difference, unless Suzuki has made the forks larger in diameter.  Any infor on this will be greatly appreciated.

Always ride safe Smiley

I believe you have fork protectors on your 2006 though.  I've read that others cut theirs off to install the fork brace.  Superbrace offers stainless fork protectors that attach to the brace.  If you think you'll want them, you may want to order them at the same time as the brace and save the additional shipping since they use a flat charge per order.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #11 - 04/14/07 at 23:06:50

Savage_Rob, I did just that when I ordered the brace.
Thanks anyways.  I hope to get the chance to put it on tomorrow and try it out Monday.  The weather here tomorrow will be S#%ty. 8)

Ride Safe

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #12 - 04/17/07 at 12:20:50

Well, I finally got the time to install my Superbrace.  Let me tell you, it's like the difference between night and day.  I took it out for short ride over the metal grating on one Interstate, and for about four miles on another.  The S40 laughed at the turbulance on the Interstate at around 70, and smiled at the wobble on the metal grating at 40 one way and 65 the other way. I am kicking mt a@% for not spending the money before this.
Love the Superbrace
Grin Grin 8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 04/17/07 at 12:33:14

Well, I finally got the time to install my Superbrace.  Let me tell you, it's like the difference between night and day.  I took it out for short ride over the metal grating on one Interstate, and for about four miles on another.  The S40 laughed at the turbulance on the Interstate at around 70, and smiled at the wobble on the metal grating at 40 one way and 65 the other way. I am kicking mt a@% for not spending the money before this.
Love the Superbrace
Grin Grin 8)

Yup. Wink

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #14 - 04/17/07 at 18:39:28

Yeah, front fork flex is a real bummer, no?!?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 09:33:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Super Brace Installation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.