Shifting problems (Read 10 times)
donhere
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Pensacola, Fl
Shifting problems
04/18/07 at 06:41:16

Changed my oil the other day and started her up only to find that I couldn't shift gears, don't believe it is a cause and effect item but am curious as to how to determine if it is a cable or clutch assembly, anyone out there with any ideas, other than take it to the shop, to help determine one over the other? ???
Thanks
Don

just passin thru.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Shifting problems
Reply #1 - 04/18/07 at 06:50:13

Yikes! Nightmare stuff there. Work on it doing piddly stuff & turn around & theres a REAL  problem,,

Have you tried just sittin on it, rocking it back & forth, gently, trying to work it thru the gears, no engine?

IP Logged
donhere
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Pensacola, Fl
Reply #2 - 04/18/07 at 07:26:07

Thanks for the suggestion I just tried the idea and it goes thru all gears but it doesn't coast free ( in gear with the cluch in), it feels like a drag is on the gear, quite different than the free rolling when it is in N.

just passin thru.
  IP Logged
bduff
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 04/18/07 at 07:39:31

did you try to start it up and let the oil flow? I think it has a wet clutch and maybe its dried out?
sounds like maybe the cable is binding up also?

1987 Savage 100% stock and happy with that, owned it since it was BRAND NEW!
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 04/18/07 at 08:00:54

Maybe too much play in the clutch cable?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
donhere
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Pensacola, Fl
Reply #5 - 04/18/07 at 08:19:51

Ran and oil helped but the more I learn the more I think that it acts like to much play in the cable, because I do notice that when the engine is running and I put it into gear it clunks in just as though there is no clutch like my old VW use to do when the cable got stretched. So   next step may be to replace cable.
thanks folks I do appreciate your help in this one
Don

just passin thru.
  IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/18/07 at 08:29:49

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 19:57:14 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/18/07 at 08:40:44

IF the thing was working before ya changed the oil & no adjustments were made, I dont see how suddenly the clutch cable could be too long. I havent seen one stretch during an oil change before. I am with Jim. IF the only change made was oil, that would kinda point the finger AT the oil. Maybe the clutch cable does need adjusted & with the old oil, it didnt allow the clutch to stick, but this oil has a different formula & with the clutch cab;le a hair long it just wont quite shift? I would try adjusting the cable, BUT, I sure wouldnt overlook what Jim said.

IP Logged
donhere
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Pensacola, Fl
Reply #8 - 04/18/07 at 08:41:18

when I purchased the bike about 6 mos ago in one of the saddle bags was a bottle of Havoline 10w40 and since the filler cap has stamped into it 10w40, and after contacting the previous owner and was told yes that was the oil he used, and Havoline is a good brand,  I stuck to that oil.
Thanks
Don

just passin thru.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/18/07 at 09:02:58

Well, have you had time to mess with that cable yet? You know ther's a place down on the bottom end of the cable, 2 nuts stacked on a block next to the speedo cable where you can tighten the cable, then there's the other end, on the handlebars, with the thumbscrew adjuster. It that thing is running out of play, it doesnt mean theres no adjusting left.
Good Luck with it.. OHH, How many miles on it?

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #10 - 04/18/07 at 10:43:14

donhere wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
when I purchased the bike about 6 mos ago in one of the saddle bags was a bottle of Havoline 10w40 and since the filler cap has stamped into it 10w40, and after contacting the previous owner and was told yes that was the oil he used, and Havoline is a good brand,  I stuck to that oil.
Thanks
Don

Hi Don, welcome to the group!

I've only been lurking and then posting here for less than a year, so I don't know anything about the old "oil wars" threads the old frats (sp?) speak of...   Wink

But seriously... I haven't checked the specs on Havoline in a long time, but many years ago it was known to be a very high detergent oil.

I would highly recommend getting a motorcycle spec oil in there. As someone mentioned, for various reasons, some auto spec oils don't do well with cycles.

Havoline's high detergent was known in days of old for keeping an engine extremely clean inside, but it was also widely known that you didn't start using Havoline in an engine after running other oil(s) for a long period; because the high detergent would break down old sludge and let it float through everything in the engine. Yet, some folks used it as a one shot, short term engine cleaner before switching back to another lower detergent high quality oil. Kind of like flushing a radiator, but they knew it was at risk of clogging something in the oil system passageways.

Someone might ask how come I think I know something about oil(s)... One of the uncles I was named after (first name) worked most his life in the oil mixing building at the old DX Sunray refinery here. Later, my B-i-L worked the same department after DX became Sun Oil. I've been around the oil business in some way most my life, and some of this stuff just rubs off on you (pardon the pun).   Wink

Which brings up another point about Havoline... I don't know about nowadays, but years ago, Havoline had a distinctive stink to it that many (including me) didn't like.

Anyways... Change to motorcycle spec oil; adjust the clutch / cable and see what you got. Hopefully, you can get some more miles out of the existing clutch pack, but I'd at least be looking ahead into the probability of a cluth job. They aren't that hard, or expensive, if you DIY.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 04/18/07 at 11:07:52

It seems all of Texaco's Havoline formulations contain something they call Deposit Shield, which appears to be a high detergent additive with friction modifiers.  I would be wary of this with a wet clutch application.  They do say it's "new" so I don't know if the stuff you used had it.  In any case, I think the above advice is good; change to a motorcycle-specific oil (or at least the Shell Rotella), adjust the clutch cable and see how she is then.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
donhere
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Pensacola, Fl
Reply #12 - 04/18/07 at 15:23:25

Well what a busy afternoon I adjusted a cluch cable and changed the oil to Mobile synthetic 10W40 to no avail, so I called the shop and they will completely change out clutch assembly labor and parts for $200 bucks so tomorrow morning she goes into some folks that know how to do that, Thank you all for your help and guidance, if nothing else I am smarter about this problem and if it comes up again I know what to look at.
Thanks
Don

just passin thru.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State