I'm back again... (Read 1 times)
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
I'm back again...
04/02/07 at 11:07:51

Cheesy

Its been quite a while since I dropped in. Looks like I might actually get a chance to get my bike going. Wife figures with how bad my truck is doing, getting the bike running would be cheaper if/when the truck falls apart.

List of things the bike needs done:
Petcock replaced or modified to a manual (wife is telling me just buy a new one).

Track down the battery/electrical issue. (She still seems to not be charging back to the battery. Charged up a brand new battery many months ago, got it running just to test it then it sat for a week, came back and wouldn't crank until I charged it back up, but thats now been a year.)

Replace risers... seems when I dropped it so long ago, the risers bent badly, the replacement bar I got (thank you!) and installed fixed about 75% of the lean, the risers are the remainder of the leaning problem =(

Front left foot peg, still needs replaced, its bent in at a 90 degree angle from the same drop so long ago... (man its already been 10 years since that happened)

Rear turn signals need replaced, they're just dangling there, hehe.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/setral/87savage/
100% Stock, needs a little work and another bath
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: I'm back again...
Reply #1 - 04/02/07 at 11:55:10

Welcome back!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 04/02/07 at 12:36:14

Setral wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Cheesy

Front left foot peg, still needs replaced, its bent in at a 90 degree angle from the same drop so long ago... (man its already been 10 years since that happened)

This is how I repaired my drivers footpegs. It works rather well and I haven't had any problem with them since the mod. Just remember the tread size for the die and the threaded rod is 3/8 by 16NC not 16M. (I goofed when I wrote up the directions for the mod)

http://www.yonuhadisi.bravehost.com/How_to_Mod_a_2000_LS650_Savage.html

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #3 - 04/02/07 at 22:05:20

I just put a Harley tank on my 650 and have a pet-thang complete with internal filter and gasket still in great shape. And I ordered a pair of mini floorboards that should be here in a couple of days to make fit, so I'll have a straight (if not super pretty) set of front pegs laying around as well. Offer what you can and pay the postage. I have no future need or use for them.

I also have a tank in real good shape and some dinged up stock shocks that need new rubber gromits and bushing lying here as well with no use for them either. Hate to see stuff go to waste. This site's been good to me so . . .

JC

IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #4 - 04/04/07 at 07:16:05

Hey Jack_650 I sent you an IM about the pet-thingy and stuff.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/05/07 at 18:37:27

Jack, that's the kind of thing that keeps me thinkin ther's hope. Nice.

IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #6 - 04/06/07 at 08:55:16

Yep Jack's offer made me smile, this board as been great for me, all the info I could ever need, and more than enough encouragement.

WWW   IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #7 - 04/19/07 at 09:09:38

Thanks Jack, I already told you got them a few days ago, but figured I'd say it here too Smiley

So.... foot pegs and petc0ck from Jack! and risers from ebay.

part of saturday is gonna be putting parts on Cheesy

WWW   IP Logged
murphy77

Savage + Devil =
Good Times !!!

Nevada
Reply #8 - 04/19/07 at 09:55:44

Now that just makes me smile  Smiley

This is what it's all about, helping each other out. Gotta love this site and all the cool people.

...murphy77

Yellow '96, Dyna Muffler, Sportster Seat.
  IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #9 - 04/23/07 at 07:50:47

murphy77 one of the main reasons I keep coming back, the guys here always impress me.

Now if only my luck would impress me! Seems my 18 month old battery has 5 dead cells. Tender shows full charge, multimeter says it has 1.9v on a 12v battery  Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #10 - 05/03/07 at 10:53:57

Alright, so got a new battery in, she wouldn't fire. Wanna guess? Yeah apparently I left the sparkplug loose for over a year and it fouled.

So replaced the plug and it would fire but not want to start. Primed it for a few seconds and it would fire but not run long.

Primed, started with full choke and it started finally worked the choke down and it'd idle for a little bit then died.

Tried some ether just to test, and she fired right up and idled fine for a couple of minutes, but turning the throttle up to about a quarter turn she'd rev up but then suddenly sound like the mixture was off and start to die bog down and soon as I let go it'd return to normal idle and die.

sometimes when turning the throttle it'd bog way down then start to back fire or simply quit.

I've a feeling that the carb needs cleaned out again, I cleaned it out over a year ago, but it's been sitting possibly with some gas in it for that long, and as dirty as it was then, wouldn't surprise me if it needs it again.

Besides, taking it apart, hosing it down with carb cleaner, or letting it soak. What else should I check for this problem? The air filter is a little dusty from sitting for a year, but its far from dirty. (I replaced it 18+ months ago and the bike has sat for at least 14 months).

And is there a seal for the carb? or how do I reseal it? I know the original seal is still there, and it closed up fine when I cleaned it out last time, just wanting to be sure.

WWW   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #11 - 05/03/07 at 11:39:37

get that old gas out of that tank and carb! start with a fresh load of premium, it'll dilute any residual old fuel left in the bike, and should help a bunch. then try starting and running again. out here, a small quantity of gas like 1 or 2 gals will go bad in a couple months, the volatility evaporates off and it ends up like kerosene.  i'm not sure where your at, but most gasoline has a certain amount of alcohol in it, and alcohol absorbs water, a high humidity area could water down your fuel, if it sets long enough

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #12 - 05/03/07 at 11:45:43

azjay wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
get that old gas out of that tank and carb! start with a fresh load of premium, it'll dilute any residual old fuel left in the bike, and should help a bunch. then try starting and running again.

There was no gas in the tank, I emptied it before I stored the bike. Filled the tank with a gallon of the cheap stuff just to test it. The carb is the only thing I was thinking there was any gas left inside.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #13 - 05/03/07 at 12:04:10

Jack_650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I just put a Harley tank on my 650 and have a pet-thang complete with internal filter and gasket still in great shape. And I ordered a pair of mini floorboards that should be here in a couple of days to make fit, so I'll have a straight (if not super pretty) set of front pegs laying around as well. Offer what you can and pay the postage. I have no future need or use for them.

I also have a tank in real good shape and some dinged up stock shocks that need new rubber gromits and bushing lying here as well with no use for them either. Hate to see stuff go to waste. This site's been good to me so . . .

JC
now thats what this site is all about!! 8)

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #14 - 05/03/07 at 12:48:22

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
now thats what this site is all about!! 8)

Umm... ok, but that doesn't help answer my question one bit.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:25:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I'm back again...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.