Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Best aftermarket exhaust (Read 461 times)
Doc_Holliday
Ex Member

Best aftermarket exhaust
03/30/07 at 21:54:27

Hey guys and gals i have a question. I just got my savage and im already wanting a much louder exhaust. I would like to do this as cheaply as possible.

So far i have listened to a bad dog, and a screamin eagle, i really like the sound of the screamin eagle. So does anyone have a link to hear examples(mp3's) of more exhaust notes for the savage?

Also i heard that you must rejet the carb with a new exhaust...would i have to do this?

My goal is to get a great sound from my bike cheaply without a lot of labor putting on the part(im not a great mechanic.) Any suggestions on what to get and where to get it? Thanks in advance guys! -DOC

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Best aftermarket exhaust
Reply #1 - 03/30/07 at 22:03:45

Well, IF you want the very Best aftermarket exhaust AND you want it cheap AND easy to install, the answer is simple. Not GOOD, but simple. You will need to steal a Supertrapp and header pipe off another Suzuki 650. I recommend finding one with 14 baffles in it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/30/07 at 22:04:10

Do a search on 'hd' 'exhaust' 'muffler' 'pipe' and you'll find lots of info.

Basically, go to a HD shop and ask for a take off muffler.
some will fit better than other.  read the above threads.

Yes, after the new muf, you'll need to rejet, do a search.  lots of info already here.

then go out and get yourself some earplugs, if you don't wear 'em hand 'em out to your neighbors.

Grin

WWW   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #3 - 03/31/07 at 06:30:19

i got a straight through take off muffler from a dyna, out of the harley dumpster for free! (the chrome was scratched) ??? i got mikuni main jets from a local chopper shop for $2.50, i got the #55 pilot jet from the honda shop for $1.89, i modified the white spacer for free. total cost $4.39, how frugel do you want to be?  Grin

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Jimsey67
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/31/07 at 08:43:04

There is a post in the tech section on exhaust sounds from various manufacturers on the savage.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1151331237

IP Logged
Doc_Holliday
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/31/07 at 09:18:38

Jimsey67 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
There is a post in the tech section on exhaust sounds from various manufacturers on the savage.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1151331237

Thanks! just learning to navigate the site...oh and i want to be cheap as possible but still have the sound i want. After listening a screamin eagle is what i want. I love an extreme sounding bike. Anyone know of a place to get one with good prices? Cant seem to find them online for the savage. -DOC

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #6 - 03/31/07 at 10:23:52

Doc_Holliday wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I love an extreme sounding bike. Anyone know of a place to get one with good prices? Cant seem to find them online for the savage.

It's a Harley muffler for Harley bikes. Check with your local Harley dealer or look on Ebay.

A Screaming Eagle is best for you, but certainly not the best aftermarket exhaust.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/31/07 at 11:14:36

A lot of people on the site run a HD muffler (usually sportster ones I think) - much better sound than oem one.

not all Harley stores have cast off mufflers (not the one in my town - they say the people who convert take their old ones away with them) but many on site say they get theirs for $20 or so - much cheaper than a screaming eagle & plenty loud from what folk say. some mufflers have a connector place with a hole in the pipe so you have to get someone to weld it shut.

the site has a how to connect a sportster muffler in the tech section I think - needs a connecting piece with a 10 degree bend in it - the local car muffler store make it for like $10 usually (mine did it for free). you'll need a suitable size heat shield to cover it up if you want to keep the bike pretty - I got mine from a box of old ones @ one of the old school type non dealer type bike places my town is still blessed to have (cost me about $5 against $10-15 for a new one!)

this is way the cheapest to go for a good sounding loud enough muffler (obviously being given & not have to pay a cent cast off HD one from the store is even cheaper!)

although not gospel - bikes do vary - you'll get help on size of jets depending on what muffler you fit & what sea level you are at (what year might not hurt - I don't know) - ask for help here. the white spacer mod is pretty obligatory on these it seems - mine runs fine without but maybe my bike/altitude is just unusual.

one other tip - watch it when you take the screws/bolts out the top (to do the spacer mod) & bottom (to rejet) of carb - they are very soft & can be messed up easily - may have to use grips on them if you screw up the heads. it is very advisable to replace them with stainless steel allen head bolts to make it easy to remove next time.

you'll likely have to drill out the brass plug on the right side of the carb (careful not to drill into the screw underneath to fine tune the carb. read Lancers carb tuning tips in the tech section of site on how to fine tune the carb using this mixture screw - worked  for me when I had a backfire I wanted to get rid of.

I personally have a slash cut hard chrome (double walled so no blueing) mufffler I bought from Lancer - he (used to -maybe still does) have them available for about $70 or so - not as cheap as a cast off HD one - but like I said the place in my town had no HD cast offs available. mine is certainly loud enough & helpful for more power I feel.

oh yeah - HD clamps are advisable - nicer looking than car clamps & better than oem - think mine cost me about $5-6 each. use hi temp - I used orange - permatex to seal the joints between header & connector & connector & muffler & don't start the bike for 24 hours to give the goop plenty of time to set.

you might have to take the header off to get the old oem muffler off it - I did - they were really tight, even after I backed the clamps way off. I used a new gasket where the header goes in the head (I'm a bit anal) but as long as the old one is in good shape you should be good to reuse it. just torque down the bolts on the header correctly - backfires on the bikes often come from exhaust leaks - either here or at the 2 connector joints.

Happy work changing the muffler over.

IP Logged
jd06s40

live to ride

marion ohio
Reply #8 - 03/31/07 at 14:35:45

i have a screamin eagle for sale. i bought 2 and only need one. pm me

06 s40 se muffler,152.5 mainjet,55pilot,whitespacer mod,suzuki windscreen,gel seat,sissybar more to come
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/31/07 at 17:13:58

What Happent JD? That thing was running so good you thought it was a twin?  Grin

IP Logged
jd06s40

live to ride

marion ohio
Reply #10 - 03/31/07 at 18:50:37

it is. when i bought my se they sent 2 but never thought it was a twin i will smoke most twins in town
that is

06 s40 se muffler,152.5 mainjet,55pilot,whitespacer mod,suzuki windscreen,gel seat,sissybar more to come
  IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #11 - 03/31/07 at 19:11:07

Havent heard a screamin eagle, but my dyna muff is pretty loud and rumbles. Maybe we can make wav files of all the different types on a thread and compare...

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 04/02/07 at 00:17:33

I   love the sound of my supertrapp with 8 discs. The supertrapp guys say no jetting is required unless you use more than 8.  What a difference in performance and power!
The supertrapp and jardines will discolor some, cause they are single walled mufflers Mine is a nice light gold color right at the connector but the muffler is still shiny chrome after 17,000 miles. I dont know what a supertrapp would sound like with 14 discs. With 8 tho, it has a nice deep rumble. Also try a low restrictive air filter. I have no backfire at all, no popping at shut down and accelerates hard at 70 mph! Down side, it costs around $240 but worth every penny. Wanna go quieter just remove discs.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 04/02/07 at 05:33:43

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Well, IF you want the very Best aftermarket exhaust AND you want it cheap AND easy to install, the answer is simple. Not GOOD, but simple. You will need to steal a Supertrapp and header pipe off another Suzuki 650. I recommend finding one with 14 baffles in it.

My spouse has one.  The first person to steal it, gets it Grin

IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #14 - 04/02/07 at 06:34:44

I'm running a Jardine slip on and it's louder than H3ll, and I love it

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home