Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speedometer cable request? (Read 7 times)
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Speedometer cable request?
03/30/07 at 16:51:23

Everything was moving right along here on the harley tank mod. I got a nice looking cover made so's I can put the stock speedo on the handlebars and found a junkyard speedo cable long enough to reach that I could do a work around on the trannie end for the drive. Very slick and smooth. The only problem is is that I threw away the threaded end to the transmission and ended up with speedometer head ends on both. And they say old dogs can't mess up new tricks. This solution is until I find someone local to make me a cable.

So, who's got an old cable or at least the threaded trannie end of one they could/would like to part with? I really don't want to go digital now that I'm so close.

JC

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Re: Speedometer cable request?
Reply #1 - 03/30/07 at 20:27:28

What length do you need?  I believe, if I remember correctly, a GT250 tach cable had the same drive and threads as it was driven off the engine much the same as the speedo is on the savage.  I have one I can measure (can't part with it but can give you a length and could confirm threads).

WWW   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 03/30/07 at 22:45:00

32 inches with a little leeway either way works great for getting the speedometer up to the handlebars. It would be nice to know if that one would work. I've already rigged up something that will work for me until I can get a "real" one. So, if that will work, awsome. I'm on the phone to order one. If not then all I really need is to get a threaded transmission end for the speedo or even a non-functioning one to scavenge for the part.

Thanx for the help. This puppie's almost all back together and wanting to see if it starts.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #3 - 03/31/07 at 14:36:56

Went back to the friendly pre-owned bike parts yard in the rain. Got to ride around on the golf cart with Joe. He dredged his brain and found a tach cable on a Suzuki GT 750 that's the right length for what I need. Cleaned it up, lubed it and stuck it in. Looks like it's a go. So thanx for gettin' me on the right track there Blue. So anyone wants to move their speedo to the bars, there is a solution.

They had an entire dis-assembled Savage in a box. Thought it wise to pick up a back-up belt as long as it was there at what I hope was a resonable price. I'll be riding a lot of western N. Dakota back roads this summer and ya just never know.

JC

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:20:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Speedometer cable request?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.