Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Debating a Trailer Hitch (Read 16 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Debating a Trailer Hitch
03/29/07 at 19:55:21

I'm about to take the plunge, I think.

My latest stupid idea is to give up on cars and trucks.  As such, I've been looking at installing a trailer hitch on my Savage.

I've bought this trailer:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42708

139 bucks and only $12 for shipping (!).  The ad says this trailer weighs only 130 lbs.  Couldn't find any useful trailers lighter than this.

Looked all over the internet for trailer hitch kits for the Savage.  Found none.  Contacted a few local fabricators.  One guy backed down, he was scared of liability concerns.

Found one guy who is willing to give it a shot.  His plan is to mount the receiver to the swingarm.  I initially thought this to be a bad idea, until I saw this:

http://www.trailtail.com/main.html

I'm willing to try it.  My plan is to treat the whole rig like an unknown aircraft (from my test-piloting days) and to gradually expand the "performance envelope" when I'm pulling the trailer.

Any ideas?  Am I gonna kill myself (finally)?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: Debating a Trailer Hitch
Reply #1 - 03/29/07 at 20:30:28

perhaps, but ...a lot of people who ride with trailers.  I would have thought a reinforced rear wheel well would be the place for a hitch, for wiring as well as tracking right behind where the bike has been. Pictures please as you go through the process.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/29/07 at 20:38:12

I've seen a couple of trailer hitches for HD's on ebay.
search 'motorcycle trailer' and you'll find 'em.
They hook up to the chrome fender braces.
That would give the trailer a little softer ride then hooking up to the swing arm.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 03/29/07 at 21:10:07

Not that I've been thinking the same, but I have bookmarked motorcyclehitchusa.com/

They don't list one for the Savage, but they say to call them if you don't see your model there.  I would imagine that the fender rails would be where they would attach the hitch.

WWW   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #4 - 03/29/07 at 21:23:48

I too am back burnering the idea of fabricating a trailer hitch for my 650. All I've heard is that you don't want the hitch on the swing arm. Theory being you don't want anything screwing with half of your ground contact. Don't know about on dirt backtrails, but going down the highway at 55-65 I have a feeling things get a lot more critical. I saw one hitch for a bike that had a connection to the swing arm but the weight was all on the fender. I suppose it was just for lateral stability or sumthin'.

I feel your pain about the liabilty. There's a major hitch for bikes shop in my area and they won't touch anything under 1100cc because of liability issues. I did find a guy out in Seattle (I think) who would do it though. But since he hadn't done a Savage he would need the bike in his shop for who knows how long. This summer I'm going to be working on doing some inside the fender design and do one for myself.

I have the same trailer you got. I got it for $100 at a late fall clearance sale at our local national chain hardware/home store up here in MN. I got the bike rail for it too. Doesn't fit the Savage too well. It's too short and the rail's a little tight on the slightly oversized tire on the back of mine. What I did was took a 2"x6" bolted it to the trailer and then bolted the two pieces of the rail to the board about a foot and a half apart. I use it to haul the bike and as a utility hauler, but bought it with the idea of using it behind the bike for camping trips and such.

JC

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #5 - 03/29/07 at 21:25:14

built that same trailer back in early 80's. towed it with a GL 1100 wing. used black tie swivel hitch. towed it from Pa. to Americade many times,to Marysville homecoming 3 or 4 times, and to Ashville Honda Hoot at least 4 trips. 600 mi, one way. hint-use a big square on all corners before final tighting. don't ask. put on a Sears X-cargo car top carrier and bearing buddes. 8 inch wheels worked great. cheap way ouy for a bike trailer. diesel

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 03/31/07 at 18:27:27

The more I think about it, the less concern I have about the proposed swingarm mount of the hitch receiver.  

I'll be using the trailer sparingly for around-town duties, when I need to carry something too big to put on the bike.  I won't need to exceed 45 mph, as I live in town and everything I need is fairly close by.

For Diesel:  Do I need a swivel hitch?  Thnx for the head's up on the construction technique!

BTW, I'll just be mounting a piece of 5/8" plywood for a deck on the trailer.  No pods.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 04/01/07 at 07:16:44

Digger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I'm about to take the plunge, I think.

My latest stupid idea is to give up on cars and trucks.  As such, I've been looking at installing a trailer hitch on my Savage.

I've bought this trailer:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42708

139 bucks and only $12 for shipping (!).  The ad says this trailer weighs only 130 lbs.  Couldn't find any useful trailers lighter than this.

Looked all over the internet for trailer hitch kits for the Savage.  Found none.  Contacted a few local fabricators.  One guy backed down, he was scared of liability concerns.

Found one guy who is willing to give it a shot.  His plan is to mount the receiver to the swingarm.  I initially thought this to be a bad idea, until I saw this:

http://www.trailtail.com/main.html

I'm willing to try it.  My plan is to treat the whole rig like an unknown aircraft (from my test-piloting days) and to gradually expand the "performance envelope" when I'm pulling the trailer.

Any ideas?  Am I gonna kill myself (finally)?

Interesting idea.  How much can you lean the bike and tilt the receiver and ball with a standard trailer hitch?

As for killing yourself...I bet that slowing and stopping is gonna be a new challenge.  Keep in mind that the trailer will push the rear tire to the outside if you are turning.  I envision a possible jack knife if not careful...could be wrong.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #8 - 04/01/07 at 07:48:47

You can ride/drive nearly anything safely if you bear in mind it's limitations and compensate.  For Digger's proposed trailering, hold the speeds down so you can brake in the distance you can see and so you can corner without excessive lean.

There are times you need to carry more than what you can easily strap onto the bike -- such as a 4x8 sheet of plywood or a double bass.  Some of us look upon cages as vehicles of last resort -- to be used only if we cannot figure out how to manage with the 'cycle.  I find Digger's proposal to be quite reasonable.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 04/01/07 at 08:07:50

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
You can ride/drive nearly anything safely if you bear in mind it's limitations and compensate.  For Digger's proposed trailering, hold the speeds down so you can brake in the distance you can see and so you can corner without excessive lean.

There are times you need to carry more than what you can easily strap onto the bike -- such as a 4x8 sheet of plywood or a double bass.  Some of us look upon cages as vehicles of last resort -- to be used only if we cannot figure out how to manage with the 'cycle.  I find Digger's proposal to be quite reasonable.

I also find Digger's proposal to be quite reasonable, but I think that considering some of the consequences in advance to be equally important.  

After all, we aren't talking about about an 800 lb Goldwing  pulling a small popup trailer that is designed for a bike.  This trailer is about 1/2 the bike's weight and has about a 5 foot wheel base.  

As well that other trailer (for dirt bikes) states carrying a load of 20 Liters...not hardly 130 lbs.

That trailer will push the bike when slowing, and that will take more than an ounce of awareness.  

That's all I'm really saying...besides, did you see those work horse bike pics that Reelthing took in China?  I know it can be done.  You aren't telling me anything.

IP Logged
ONION
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

SOUTH EAST TEXAS
Reply #10 - 04/01/07 at 10:03:55

Called HITCH USA on friday and they will have a hitch within 45 days.I asked about the way it will attatch and they do not recomend attatching anything to the swing arm. Due to a bounce affect. (possibly bouncing you side ways?) Any ways it will cost 275.00 + shipping. it will attatch to the last fender bolts (furthest foward) and the shocks mounts so they said. hope this helps i am still depating on weather or not to try it my self.

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #11 - 04/01/07 at 14:30:57

about the swivel hitch, a solid hitch is good for normal leaning at reasional speeds. I used the swivle on the gl 1100 in the event I was to drop it, in that event, things would get a little twisted. don't ask. that's why I'm a triker now, no need for a swivel hitch with the trike. diesel

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #12 - 04/01/07 at 16:44:23

I 'm of the opinion it is a very bad idea.  The AMA (the guys with the caduseus, not the wheels) would probably be all for it.  For rainy, icey, crap days get a beater truck to haul stuff around town.   That being said, best of luck with the project should you continue.

IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #13 - 04/01/07 at 17:45:44

Think it would launch my 19 foot boat? No? Nevermind.....I would like to have a small trailer that would hold about a suitcase worth of stuff.

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #14 - 04/01/07 at 18:37:14

One of the options I am considering on retirement is driving.  Motorhomes are delivered from the factory over the road, drivers wanted.  Put a hitch on the Savage, tow a motorcycle trailer to the factory, hitch trailer to motorhome, load bike on trailer, deliver motorhome, unload bike, unhitch from motorhome, hitch to bike, ride off.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:22:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Debating a Trailer Hitch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.