Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb hose reassembly question (Read 2 times)
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Carb hose reassembly question
03/15/07 at 22:28:17

Five gallon Harley tank and the rest of the metal work has been powder coated and I'm slowly getting it all put back together. Problem is I didn't do what I shoulda done and taken before pix. Now I have these two hoses, one  coming out of each side of the carb. I know where the vacuum is for the pet-thing, but for the life of me (even with the dark pix in the Clymer) I can't remember where these others go and what they're for. Hmmmm . . . . Anyone got some nice, clear pix of what all that's supposed to look like in there I can look at?

I know you all probably thought I was a goner, but it's winter here in MN. And for some reason since I was home for this one it had to snow. And snow. And snow. I can now tear my little single stage snowblower down and re-assemble it in the dark, wearing mittens AND shivering. Progress has been slower than planned. For those interested in trying the five gallon Harley tank conversion here's a few things I've learned on my first ever bike workings.

The wiring changes under the tank aren't too bad. I had to move the modual with the spark plug cable from up under the tank and bolt it to the horn bracket. With the horn. The solenoid for the valve opening at start-up has a new, slightly longer cable (made by a local lawnmower repair fella in his shop for a cost of about a dollar for the parts) and has been moved forward on the right side of the frame to over the info decal there. Everything else seems to tuck up under pretty well. Mayhaps because the back of the tank sits a couple inches higher than the stock one and there's some room on top of the frame under it.

Other things done so far are:

I found a nice little analog clock to go in the 2-1/2" left hole on the tank (perfect fit) and am looking at a pop-up Harley (without the art work) gas cap for the right side hole.

There's a great guy in Michigan (http://www.2orangeharleys.com/servlet/StoreFront) who sold me a pair of 12-3/4" lowering shocks for Sportsters for $100. Had to change out the inserts in the eyes because the Harley ones are about a thirty-seconth of an inch smaller and used a bit longer bolts on the bottom because the eyes are a little thicker. His prices seem more than resonable to m. I'm going to pull my front foot pegs to compare to the Harley mounting 'cause he's got some nice looking adjustable floorboards (forward, bbackward and tilt) that these feet would really appreciate on long trips like the one I did last summer.

As soon as it's running the bike's going to Midas (our guys seem to be as nice as ya'll claim yours are) to get half of the $20 pair of Sportster mufflers put on. I toyed with the idea of doing a split and end up with a one lung with dual exhaust, but why flaunt the goodness of 650-dom?

Then there's the V-Star seat, the 4 gallon tour tank with the extra 6" oval LED tail/brake light on the back of the sissy bar and eventually the bags for the back. I've kinda been looking at the Willie & Max large black and yellow bags since the bike's a nice cross between the '96 and the 2k yellow.

And of course what bike would be complete without a pair of Superman logo decals on the tank to let the world know a thumper is there to save them. And to cover the minor flaws in the dent repair on one side.

Thanx in advance for any info on the carb hook-up jungle. ??? ???

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Carb hose reassembly question
Reply #1 - 03/15/07 at 23:01:09

I'll bet that if you look close at the ends of those hoses for the hose clamp marks you won';t find any. Nor will ya find a mark where the thing was plugged on anything. I'll even bet that if you take those hoses & swing them in every direction looking for something to stick them on you won't find it. AND,, that's because theys just vent tubes/

When ya get tired of snow blowers, rent a truck & move down to Texas. We don't mess with them out here. Well, the panhandle might. Don';t move to Lubbock or Amarillo or up in there.

Ohh, post pics of that thng.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/15/07 at 23:03:28

Those tubes out of the carb are vents and just tuck into the frame.  Just think of your significant other and stick them in between the legs.

WWW   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #3 - 03/16/07 at 09:01:32

I guess life is good when you when you can solve your problems by hiding them under your tank in the frame.

Still got an oil leak to fix, but that'll have to wait until I get to ride again and try finding it's point of origin. I'm thinking it's the plug you guys are always talking about. Last year I re-gooped the covers and that contained everything for almost 5k miles. Then it was Niagra Falls. Two different shops want to do a head gasket change, but there's no power loss, no dirty plug and no smoke. The first thing I did when I got the bike was order a head gasket just in the hopes I would never need it.

Pix when the bike is all back to picture taking shape.

IP Logged
Noggin
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/02/07 at 12:11:39

Is this the vent hose you arte talking about?

If so, what does it mean when fuel pours out of it  Shocked ???

Got this problem at the weekend after doing some completely unrelated maintenance.  Tank removal and investigation found nothing but it appeared to have stopped when I piut it all back together again  Roll Eyes

Then this morning the bike just died 5 minutes into my journey to work. Restarted 5 minutes later and got me back home.  This evening it fired up first time and gave me 1/2 hour spirited riding (close to home  Wink ) without any problem.

Perhaps the bike just doesn't like going to work on a Monday morning  Grin

Noggin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 04/02/07 at 12:37:25

That is one of two vent hoses and I would hazard a guess at a stuck float if you have fuel pouring out of it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 04/03/07 at 19:47:44

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
That is one of two vent hoses and I would hazard a guess at a stuck float if you have fuel pouring out of it.

Unless the carb is upside down, that is Grin

IP Logged
Noggin
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/04/07 at 00:09:42

I'm pretty sure neither the carb or the bike is upside down - but I'll check  Grin

Sticking float was my thought too so thanks for the second opinion.

The bike also has a bit of a history of mysteriously cutting out  for no apparent reason and being OK 10 minutes later, so perhaps that is linked.

Sounds like a good job for Easter weekend  ???

Thanks,

Noggin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 04/04/07 at 05:13:04

Noggin wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I'm pretty sure neither the carb or the bike is upside down - but I'll check  Grin

Sticking float was my thought too so thanks for the second opinion.

The bike also has a bit of a history of mysteriously cutting out  for no apparent reason and being OK 10 minutes later, so perhaps that is linked.

Sounds like a good job for Easter weekend  ???

Thanks,

Noggin

If you have the carb in your hand and you turn it upside down, gas will pour out of those tubes.

Meant as a reminder...

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #9 - 04/04/07 at 06:11:27

Jack_650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Five gallon Harley tank and the rest of the metal work has been powder coated and I'm slowly getting it all put back together.

wheres the current pics? that sounds like great bike!

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/04/07 at 21:39:43

Hmmm, cutting out? Maybe the sidestand switch?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 04/04/07 at 22:08:12

Noggin wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:

Check the vacuum line to the petc0ck.  Mine would cut out at 70 mph.  twist and release the throttle a few times and it would start right up.  And then I trimed the end of the vacuum line to get fresh tube on the fitting.  And I haven't had the problem since.

Try it in prime while running, if the problem goes away get a new vacuum line.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:22:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb hose reassembly question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.