Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Debating a Trailer Hitch (Read 16 times)
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Debating a Trailer Hitch
Reply #15 - 04/01/07 at 21:48:21

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
One of the options I am considering on retirement is driving.  Motorhomes are delivered from the factory over the road, drivers wanted.  Put a hitch on the Savage, tow a motorcycle trailer to the factory, hitch trailer to motorhome, load bike on trailer, deliver motorhome, unload bike, unhitch from motorhome, hitch to bike, ride off.

i like it...  

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #16 - 04/01/07 at 22:00:41

ONION wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Called HITCH USA on friday and they will have a hitch within 45 days.I asked about the way it will attatch and they do not recomend attatching anything to the swing arm. Due to a bounce affect. (possibly bouncing you side ways?) Any ways it will cost 275.00 + shipping. it will attatch to the last fender bolts (furthest foward) and the shocks mounts so they said. hope this helps i am still depating on weather or not to try it my self.

Onion,

Cool, I had a note on my desk to call those guys on Monday.

Cover me boys, I'm going in!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
callado
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 04/01/07 at 23:05:26

I was reading all the messages about the motorcycle trailer (I already saw one when I traveled to Uruguai and Argentina - but this one had only ONE wheel!) and need to question: why don't you use hard cases instead the trailer? You can get about 8116,16 cubic inches......

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #18 - 04/02/07 at 00:12:00

A few thoughts on a light trailer hitched to the Savage:
1) the towing hitch must be bolted to the rails of the rearmost portion of the frame, under the passenger's seat - NOT to the rear swingarm;
2) I strongly suggest you convert to chain drive and use an extremely low final drive ratio - such as 4:1 compared to the standard 3:1 - you'll need this for uphill starts and if you're towing close ratio gears are more important than high speed cruising; Wink
3) please be aware that braking in a bend may well result in the trailer pushing the rear of the bike, causing the well known jacknife effect  Shocked not nice on an 18-wheeler, certainly unwise on a motorcycle. Lips Sealed

So think again before going for the whole nine yards...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #19 - 04/02/07 at 06:33:00

callado wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I was reading all the messages about the motorcycle trailer (I already saw one when I traveled to Uruguai and Argentina - but this one had only ONE wheel!) and need to question: why don't you use hard cases instead the trailer? You can get about 8116,16 cubic inches......
The single wheel job was possibly a <u><i>Monogo</i></u>.  As for why -- you can carry a much greater/bulkier mass, have that mass more easily accessible, and keep that extra mass low.

WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #20 - 04/02/07 at 07:42:48

"You can get about 8116,16 cubic inches...... "

Which is ...er... how much in metric? ???

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
callado
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 04/02/07 at 07:57:40

abou 130 L.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #22 - 04/02/07 at 20:46:53

Just called John @ Motorcycle Hitch USA.

http://www.motorcyclehitchusa.com/

He said if there was interest, they'd build a hitch for the Savage.  $275 plus shipping.

I said there was interest and gave him my credit card number.

Now we'll see how long it takes.

The trailer I got for the bike is quite small as car trailers go.  I'll be using it infrequently, whenever I need to pick up a 4X8, for example.  Remember, I'm trying to quit cars and trucks (it's been over three months since I've been "behind the wheel." 8)

I will most likely adhere to a rather limited "flight envelope."

I'll let you guys know how it works out!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 04/03/07 at 19:56:44

mpescatori wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
A few thoughts on a light trailer hitched to the Savage:
1) the towing hitch must be bolted to the rails of the rearmost portion of the frame, under the passenger's seat - NOT to the rear swingarm;
2) I strongly suggest you convert to chain drive and use an extremely low final drive ratio - such as 4:1 compared to the standard 3:1 - you'll need this for uphill starts and if you're towing close ratio gears are more important than high speed cruising; Wink
3) please be aware that braking in a bend may well result in the trailer pushing the rear of the bike, causing the well known jacknife effect  Shocked not nice on an 18-wheeler, certainly unwise on a motorcycle. Lips Sealed

So think again before going for the whole nine yards...

There's an echo in here Smiley

My point too, but it's a matter of planning and forethought.  As a sort of pioneering idea this will be interesting to see it work.

So, good luck...take pics.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 04/05/07 at 20:27:19

I've seen some home builts on a Guzzi site that were really odd looking but the things looked safe. The most common design element was the wheels being on the very rear of the trailer to put as much on the tongue as possible.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:20:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Debating a Trailer Hitch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.