Send Topic Print
Battery questions (Read 1 times)
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Battery questions
03/27/07 at 18:53:51

On my '98, I'm able to disconnect the positive terminal and then slide the battery out to disconnect the negative.  I don't think the ground cable is original so it may be longer than stock.

I put in a new battery and it is just enough taller that I can't slide the battery in with the negative terminal connected.  The only way I could install it was to remove the seat and use a ratchet with an extension to connect the ground cable from up above.

What is the best way to remove the battery?

Also, I  added a pigtail for a battery charger.  I'm concerned, though, that the vibration could rub through the positive cable on the pigtail and short it out.  Is this a valid concern?

One more question.  The only place in town that had a battery in stock was Sears and it is a maintenance free one and my old battery was the wet cell type.  So there is now no need for the rubber tube that connected to the battery.  Anybody else use a maintenance free battery?

The number of cylinders isn't important...it's how you use them.
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Re: Battery questions
Reply #1 - 03/27/07 at 18:58:51

I just put a sealed battery (BIG CRANK) in mine with pigtail for a battery tender. It all went back together nicely. Charged up the old stock battery for a spare but I hope I don't need to use it.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #2 - 03/27/07 at 19:58:21

I went to the "Big Crank" web site and noticed that they have a list of batteries for Suzuki 650's.
Below is a discription of the All Savage battery. 1986 - 2002.
Does anyone know if this battery will fit in the S-40 battery recess case also?

Big Crank™ ETX15L Battery
Code:BIG-ETX15L
Price: $49.95

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #3 - 03/27/07 at 21:29:37

ETX15L is the one I got for my 96 and yes I did remove the seat so I could reach the connectors from above, I put the old battery vent line in the corner of my garage, but I doubt I will ever use it again. (It's rignt next to the old stock muffler...LOL)

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/28/07 at 17:03:21

I have that same # Big Crank on the 05 S40. It was needed on such a new bike on account of I blowed 'er UP with sparks from a grinder. The stock battery( with the split case) is outside by the woodpile.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:24:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.