Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
carburetor problems (Read 1 times)
cem1017
Ex Member

carburetor problems
03/28/07 at 07:36:43

I just purchased a 1996 Savage with 16,000.  It was running, but quit on the way home.  Now I cannot get fuel to the engine.  The caruretor bowl fills with fuel, but when I removed the spark plug it is dry.  I have dismantled the carb, cleaned everything and reassembled.  The same problem exists.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
Re: carburetor problems
Reply #1 - 03/28/07 at 08:15:30

gas? try reserve or fill up the tank.  

order a new carb, check plug gap/fire?

try starter fluid on the air intake side.  

timing is good?  Should he check this?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 03/28/07 at 11:47:58

get some carb cleaner, yank the carb & disassmble, clean ALL the little holes in there with the carb cleaner.  Make sure the gas is fresh.  When you reassemble, amke sure you don't pinch the rubber part on top of the slide.

Also1:  Make sure it is set to idle high enough (mine wnet mysteriously out of adjsutment the other week... took a bit to figure that out... may even need a new spring).

Also2: If the float is filling with fuel, you most likely do not have a vacuum leak, but you may try running it on PRI (i.e. the fule petc0ck).  If this solves the problem, repalce the vacuum line.

Also3:  yeah the plugs not wet, but are you sure yr getting spark?

Starter fluid or wd40 will work for the to test if you have air leaks... cigarette smoke will work too...

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #3 - 03/28/07 at 12:25:54

Could be a bad petc0ck. Check for fuel in the vacuum lines coming off the petc0ck and smell the oil in your crankcase. Your crankcase may have filled with gas and this is not good.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 03/28/07 at 13:57:24

If the carb bowl fills, then it should start.  unless bad gas, plug or carb.

Check if the plug sparks.

Check battery, alot of times the battery has enough to turn it over but not start.

Or try push start.  My method is different from rest.  search for theirs if you don't like mine.

with clutch disengaged and in 1st gear.
pull out choke if you like, twist the throttle a little.
push bike like the devil
hop on, push the starter button for a rev or 2
and let out the clutch.

pushing the starter button kicks in the decompression so it's easier to start.  letting out the clutch turns off the starter.  which takes the load off the battery.  now you should have enough juice to run.

keep in touch   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/28/07 at 20:31:37

I agree with way to push/bump start bike but find it better to do it in 2nd than other gear - recall couple of others on site said this too.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 03/28/07 at 21:11:49

That's a higher gear is easier starting if you plan on pulling in the clutch as soon as it catches fire.  by doing it in 1st you can just leave it engaged until it's really running good.

And with there method you have to use the higher gear to get it to turn over rather than just skid to a stop.

by using the starter to get the decompression to work you get around that problem.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:19:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carburetor problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.