Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Pilot Air Adjusting Srew (Read 32 times)
georgekathe
Ex Member

Re: Pilot Air Adjusting Srew
Reply #15 - 03/21/07 at 08:53:35

agghh! my head hurts! Grin think I'll just sign off on this thread now & leave well enough alone - the screw I turned counter clokcwise on the right side  (ie where your right leg is) that used to be covered over by the brass plug got rid of the popping.

think I'll leave it at that - whether it richens or leans out the bike it had the desired effect. over & out  Smiley

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #16 - 03/21/07 at 09:07:00

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Still exhibiting your extensive array of people skills and other true lies, I see.

I said it like that just for you.  Wink  You didn't disappoint me!  Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 03/21/07 at 09:07:13

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I have usually used the term pilot air adjusting screw in the past, and if that has confused anyone I apologize.  I just got in the habit of doing that.  A lot of instructions from assorted sources use the same term, but for the stock carb on our engine it is more correct to call it a fuel mixture screw.

Well, actually, your word usage isn't wrong as the SSM calls the screw a Pilot Air Screw and a Pilot Screw, depending on the particular Spec sheet you are reading.  Just a bit of confusion that I guess comes from changes over 2 decades.  In the earlier models, or on a few foreign models some jets exist that aren't even present now.

However, I guess that I was wrong and had the actual operation backwards.  I didn't realize the "filter vs. engine side" differentiation.  I appreciate your explanation.  It's certainly more intelligent, anyway.

Still though, the adjustment instructions that I have read and used, do not concern "rich or lean" they only concern finding the smoothest running position located mid point between "in and out".

On ours, the adjustment was simple and hasn't been touched in a couple years.  We don't ride around with screwdrivers like some kind of newbie.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 03/21/07 at 09:09:10

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I said it like that just for you.  Wink  You didn't disappoint me!  Grin

Always the mental midget.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 03/21/07 at 09:14:31

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
from what you said Greg guess my turning it out made bike run leaner, which I thought would not make bike lose popping. however, as it turned out it did. whatever, end result was  Smiley

Well, as Lancer pointed out, I had the operation reversed.  However the adjustment is the same.  No need to try to adjust it for either lean or rich.  Once you get it set, you could put the plug back if you wanted...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 03/21/07 at 09:14:34

That's rich!   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 03/21/07 at 09:23:06

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
But then I still occasionally use the term "choke" when it's actually an "enrichener" on this carb (and on my Amal too) because it adds fuel instead of throttling air.  Some carbs have true chokes which reduce the air instead.  Just an old habit I try to correct whenever I realize I'm doing it.

Yep.  Different subject but similar confusion.  

The knob for this function says "Choke" whereas, if you're looking at the carb schematic the word is replaced with "Enrichment".  Instead of closing off the air, it opens up more fuel...different means to the same end.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #22 - 03/21/07 at 09:27:27

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
agghh! my head hurts! Grin think I'll just sign off on this thread now & leave well enough alone - the screw I turned counter clokcwise on the right side  (ie where your right leg is) that used to be covered over by the brass plug got rid of the popping.

think I'll leave it at that - whether it richens or leans out the bike it had the desired effect. over & out  Smiley

Wait George!!! There's still so much to worry about:

It is against Federal law for individuals as well as pro mechanics to tinker with that screw. The civil penalty for an individual is up to $2500 per occurrence! A dealer or shop can be fined $25K per !!!  OUCH !!!  Shocked

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/policies/civil/caa/mobile/engswitch.pdf

Shhh....

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #23 - 03/21/07 at 10:06:10

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Always the mental midget.

Let's see... You sink into personal attack mode; in two posts or less; if I dare to differ with you, but I'M a "mental midget" and in need of "people skills."

Maybe that all adds up in your world.

You need to get over me and move on honey.  Kiss Wink Grin

Bet it's not the first time you've been told that!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:31:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pilot Air Adjusting Srew

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.